2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine are budding up nicely.
Saaz, Cascade, Dr Rudi and Cascade again. All first year in small pots.
I reckon the higher the trellis the better but my system at the moment is too hard to harvest.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Schooner_downunder said:
Awesome, i am down in melbourne, i will give the next batch a go using 48 hours, worse case i weigh them wet then re-measure after two days. If they are still not at around 25 %, I will put them back on the screen for another day or so.

Cheers,
Schooner
That's pretty much all I do. Usually after two days they're done, but sometimes they need a little longer.

Picked 2nd year cascade plant yesterday. 2.55kg wet. Pretty happy for the first ever harvest of this plant.

1487658392811.jpg

1487658413681.jpg

N3MI. I got one of those dryers too its pretty good. I though It was the size of the package until it sprung out to much bigger than I thought ha..

Yea, same. I was ready to pull the fly screens off the window after looking at the bucket full of hops. I hadn't opened the bag holding the screens until I needed it. I can definatly say I was pleasantly surprised when they unfolded lol.

N3MI said:
Yea, same. I was ready to pull the fly screens off the window after looking at the bucket full of hops. I hadn't opened the bag holding the screens until I needed it. I can definatly say I was pleasantly surprised when they unfolded lol.
Where did you get it from?

eBay, it was linked earlier in this thread.

My Cascade wet hop ale is a bit of a disaster. Over hopped it and it's ridiculously floral. Like sipping on a flavoured candle.

I've had much better success using my dried Cascade. It's imparting an unbelievable flavour on an APA. Much fruitier than store bought cascade, almost citra like.

Harvested my first year Columbus plant today. 888g wet.1488358517435.jpg

Shame about the wet hop ale but I'm looking forward even more now to using my dried Cascade in a couple of batches. I have about 100g of it with more to come soon; there are a number of cones that should be ready to pick in the next 2-3 weeks, plus more burrs on it yet again.

The Hallertau is a completely different story though. I did pick 15g dry from it, but after that a lot of the leaves on the bines died and fell off and it hasn't really produced anything more since then. Now it has a couple of new shoots popping up out of the soil. :blink: :lol:

twinathon said:
My Cascade wet hop ale is a bit of a disaster. Over hopped it and it's ridiculously floral. Like sipping on a flavoured candle.

I've had much better success using my dried Cascade. It's imparting an unbelievable flavour on an APA. Much fruitier than store bought cascade, almost citra like.
In hindsight of my last years harvest brews you get an overload of hop flavour at lower IBU's. That an easy fault, my fault but the beer was still good especially if lagered for long time.
I Bottled from the keg with mine and 2 months onwards it was awesome, but not bitter enough.
Its better to bitter with a neutral hop (like a small amount of Magnum) for 60 minute. Make it around half your IBU target.
Then throw in handfuls here and there of your fresh hops for the last 30 minutes.
Wet hopping in a keg on harvest day is also a bonus..

200g wet hops in the large course hop sock, weighted, in the keg before beer transfer, on tap. :chug:

Anyone in Melb still got hops on the bine? I have cascade, vic and Chinook still going. Looks like most other people have harvested, just curious if anyone else's still going?

My harvest happen through March, as late as early April. None harvested yet. Chinook will be the first this year. Goldings but not much. Hallertau, Red Earth, Cascade, then the Possum ravaged Tettnang is yet to show a bur.

husky said:
Anyone in Melb still got hops on the bine? I have cascade, vic and Chinook still going. Looks like most other people have harvested, just curious if anyone else's still going?
I've got Cascade Chinook and POR still not harvested husky. Probably still a month or so off

husky said:
Yep, mine are still ripening.
Victoria getting close now. Cascade not far behind, noticed some more burrs emerging amongst the lower bines on some plants.

Mine too Husky. Not uncommon to harvest in mid to late March here, even early April one year.

I don't think I'll get a harvest this year at this rate. My plants are still growing! No sign of anything else.

Danscraftbeer said:
In hindsight of my last years harvest brews you get an overload of hop flavour at lower IBU's. That an easy fault, my fault but the beer was still good especially if lagered for long time.
I Bottled from the keg with mine and 2 months onwards it was awesome, but not bitter enough.
Its better to bitter with a neutral hop (like a small amount of Magnum) for 60 minute. Make it around half your IBU target.
Then throw in handfuls here and there of your fresh hops for the last 30 minutes.
Wet hopping in a keg on harvest day is also a bonus..

200g wet hops in the large course hop sock, weighted, in the keg before beer transfer, on tap. :chug:
I was going with the guideline of 6-8 times regular dosage and even then I went a little over that. I ended up throwing about a Kg of wet cascade into a 20L batch of SNPA clone. I'll give it a couple months and see how it is. Oh well like everything in the hobby, always learn from your mistakes.

husky said:
Yeah I've still got cascade on the bine. I think it's very close. Could be this weekend. Could be 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back