2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the laterals on my Hallertau are growing well under 2m, one bine has them growing out almost at ground level. The ones up higher just sprouted into burrs so I don't know whether they'll sprout laterals later or not once the flowers fall off or whatever :unsure: Same deal on the Fuggle, laterals all over it from top to bottom.

Maybe I should extend my line somehow.. the ekg is flopping around up the top now that it's passed the top of the line, must be a good 6-700mm past by now...

The poorly planned plantation as of today: not doing too much training, just keeping the different varieties separated and letting the chinook form their own lattice.

hops dec29.jpg

The cascade clone as it was last week

IMG_4350.JPG

wide eyed and legless said:
There should be a RSPCH, why will people insist on putting a plant with a lateral moving rhizome in a pot.
because they're first year plants that i am growing for the first time and picked them up on the spur of the moment, i'll drop them in the ground next yeah when i pick a good spot but thats really my business

Space can be a factor too. Last year I had two first year plants in pots, and this year I grabbed a Cascade rhizome as well. Over winter I bought two big planter boxes, built higher trellises for them and moved one existing plant into one and put the Cascade in the other. I left the other existing plant in its pot due to lack of space. The ones in the big boxes are definitely doing better, but sometimes you have to work with what you've got.

ein stein said:
because they're first year plants that i am growing for the first time and picked them up on the spur of the moment, i'll drop them in the ground next yeah when i pick a good spot but thats really my business
That's exactly my situation Mate.
We can learn for next season. Just like brewing cans of beautiful goo it is still rewarding.

We're off for what will hopefully be another good growing season in Busselton WA. Got some perle, cascade and POR.

I've got it pretty good, put these in the ground in 2013 at my parents' place shortly before moving to Karratha. Since mum uses the area to grow flowers when they die back in winter my old man is always adding plenty of manure and compost. Now back in Perth but I think I'll keep letting him look after them in exchange for a keg now and then!

IMG_20161229_102607436.jpg

Compact gardening December 2016.
1st year Tettnang early to start off but slow as a wet week in growth. Maybe its origin genetics get confused with fluctuating Melbourne weather.

Aquaponic Cascade. Also late to get going and more latteral than climbing so a bit of string engeneering to spread it out. This harvested in April last year.

Potted Hops are Red Earth (slow growth 1st year). Goldings (fast growth 1st year). Hallertauer (Medium growth 1st year). Cascade in wicking beds in the netted section.
Chinook at right back.
Dont get confused by the Ivy over the back fence.

I tr‏ied to make corrydors etc. A bit harsh on bare skin though.

Ah Chinook. Who needs trellisis. As to reputation its the last to sprout, then the fastest to grow and first to flower this year.

Clustering with burs now. (right, over the shed)

Cascade cones! Looks like there are currently around 60 burrs/cones on the plant so far, hopefully this figure improves between now and harvest time....

1483226699455.jpg

So the (dwarf) Cluster rhizomes I purchased in 2015 struggled through the 2015/16 season but I ended up with a decent harvest in 2016. 2nd year in the ground and they've all surpassed the 5 meter mark and growing quite well. Lot of burrs and some pretty impressive cones developing. I'm not sure what was Dwarf about them...some have already grown over a meter over the top wire at 5 meters and continue to lengthen. Anyway, pretty happy with them as I've just had my first beer with a fresh hop in it and it's only January 1st.

big_cone.jpg

cones.jpg

burrs.jpg

cones_burrs.jpg

cone_trail.jpg

lupulin.jpg

garnish.jpg

She's back (3rd year Hersbrucker) pure monster. Progressive photo's a couple of weeks between each shot and is also hanging over the wall another metre in places.

1483269336532.jpg

1483269426230.jpg

1483269467489.jpg

1483269496658.jpg

1483269524838.jpg

1483269541998.jpg

how much hop yield do you get from 1 plant

Huge variables Rod, plant age, growing conditions, location to the equator etc. I've got 3 first year plants and live in less than ideal growing conditions for hops, if I get enough yield for a wet hopped pale ale 20l batch I'll be pretty happy.

My Hallertau is going well, shooting out a few laterals and some more burrs are appearing now. The Cascade plant has produced a number of burrs, about half of which have now turned into cones, and they look reasonably sized too. It's also shot out a new bine in the last day or so. I've started hitting both plants with the flowering fertiliser as of today, so we'll see what happens.

Hallertau plant
IMG_1093.JPG

Cascade plant
IMG_1096.JPG

Cones on the Cascade plant
IMG_1095.JPG

First year cascade:
IMG_4885.JPG
Nothing out of the ordinary as far as height of growth but the leaves seem pretty large compared to some of my other plants. My first year Victoria's are the same with some leaves nearly twice the size of my hand.
IMG_4884.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back