2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DrSmurto said:
The growth this year has been amazing if not a little scary. First year fertlising them after 10 years of thinking that horse manure in winter was sufficient.
What are you feeding those monsters and how often?

goatus said:
What are you feeding those monsters and how often?
Dynamic lifter once a month. I'm sure the commercial growers can jump in with what they use. It's been a wet spring so far so no doubt that is helping.

I've noticed these small brown marks popping up all over my plant, they start off a mottled brown colour then slowly turn to small holes, is this caused by pests or do I have something else on my hands?
The white powder on the leaves is just veggie dust that was applied prior to the photos.

1479163716505.jpg

1479163727547.jpg

HopAssault said:
I've noticed these small brown marks popping up all over my plant, they start off a mottled brown colour then slowly turn to small holes, is this caused by pests or do I have something else on my hands?
The white powder on the leaves is just veggie dust that was applied prior to the photos.
Looks like they are being munched on by something. Check the underside of the leaves for the culprit.

Belgrave Brewer said:
Looks like they are being munched on by something. Check the underside of the leaves for the culprit.
Thanks mate. Found this little fucker and his whole family tucking in to my leaves. Fed 'em to the ants.
They are good at blending in, took me a while to find them all.

Aside from physically destroying these guys, is there another way of keeping them at bay?

1479165214558.jpg

I use a spray called Success from Yates. It kills them on contact but also (so the packaging says anyway) absorbs into the leaves and acts as a residual control of them as well. I usually spray it on the plants about once a week or so but once they start going strongly I don't worry too much about it.

HopAssault said:
Thanks mate. Found this little fucker and his whole family tucking in to my leaves. Fed 'em to the ants.
They are good at blending in, took me a while to find them all.

Aside from physically destroying these guys, is there another way of keeping them at bay?
I use Dipel (Yates Caterpillar Killer) because I use it on my aquaponics and food garden and its Organic certified. Non Toxic.
Its also absorbed into the plant. The caterpillars die after eating it but if you use it say every 3 weeks you wont have caterpillars.
But its only harmful to caterpillars.

I bombed mine with a tomato and vegetable caterpillar and insect powder, hopefully it works because they started strong but growth had been pretty much non existent the last month. It was probably a mixture of the caterpillars and no watering for the week every fortnight im away at work. I noticed the top of one of the rhizomes has been exposed in the soil, must have been at least 10-20 nodes there! whereas when I first planted there might have been maybe 3 or 4 on the entire cutting.

So do I need to get little eyes installed for burr spotting? I'm not sure I have the right equipment for growing hops. [emoji15]

BottloBill said:
Since when do laterals sprout and grow six inches overnight :blink:

BottloBill said:
I spy with my little eye something beginning with B

post-32929-14793281925012_thumb.jpg

Is that what six inches looks like? (TWSS)

Camo6 said:
Is that what six inches looks like? (TWSS)
That's the very top. I will get a piccy of the laterals located lower down, which are now an easy 12 inches:D

My Fuggle plant has a number of laterals at various stages of growth. The lighter coloured leaves in these pics.

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

I've had an outbreak of little green grasshoppers which are chewing holes all through my leaves. Only retaliation so far has been the two finger squeeze method. The plants are growing so quick I'm hoping it won't be too much of an issue but I've read a bit about neem oil working against chewing and sucking insects while not harming beneficials (unless directly sprayed). Anyone have any experience with it?

1479547276667.jpg

1479547350113.jpg

Righto, my Victoria is just starting to make some serious tracks, bloody glad I put the string lines up over this weekend. I noticed this morning that there is one bine that looks decidedly thicker than the others, and I've read about trimming back the lesser bines.

Last year when I did that the plant seemed to then focus on growing new bines at the base from where I had trimmed them, and pretty much stopped growing vertically, so I'm a little hesitant to start hacking. I'l post a photo this afternoon, but just wondering peoples thoughts.

The aforementioned Victoria.... note the size of the bine on the left compared to the others....

1479758792216.jpg

Matplat said:
The aforementioned Victoria.... note the size of the bine on the left compared to the others....
The larger bine could be a bull shoot. If you have enough bines to train and plan to cut back the rest, cut that one off. Bull shoots tend to break easier and have a farther distance between nodes so will produce less of a yield.

Belgrave Brewer said:
The larger bine could be a bull shoot. If you have enough bines to train and plan to cut back the rest, cut that one off. Bull shoots tend to break easier and have a farther distance between nodes so will produce less of a yield.
Whoops, I must have read read your post wrong the other day when I was asking about my Victoria. I cut all the thin bines off in favour of the thicker darker bines:) I just cut back some more new shoots last night. The thing is going crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back