2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Left and Middle: On their strings, in a disused stock race for protection from deer.
right: a cloned cascade that struck roots and is ready to re-pot
Desktop2.jpg

I decided to cut down the existing bines on my Hallertau plant since they were doing **** all anyway except being eaten by caterpillars, and there are also a heap of new shoots popping up. These photos show the small shoots coming through (there are some just poking through that can't be seen there) and also a heap of buds on the bottom of one of the bines that was cut down. Hopefully these shoots go better!

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1016.JPG

Does anyone have any laterals yet? I've got quite a few and they're starting to get long.

I have a couple starting to sprout on my Fuggle plant, but that's about it at this point.

Does anyone have any laterals yet? I've got quite a few and they're starting to get long.
Out of the rest of my breeds my first year Goldings have laterals low on a high early climber. Like a Christmas tree shape I'm imagining it will become.
Should I cut them off or leave them? Let lower growth go or just the higher growth? prune the lower growth?
Decisions decisions.?

^ Added. The decision is. If you want decoration and leafy mass then let it all go.
If you want more hop yield then trim lower growth and let the higher main bines put out more yield?
I am just a learner in a small backyard at the moment but that is the choice in the basic sense.

My plants so far. Are they looking decent for this time of year? These are first year plants and my first time growing hops.

Do the laterals need to be trained on the main vine or just leave them?

IMG_20161104_075359-1200x1600.jpg

IMG_20161104_075336-1200x1600.jpg

Futur said:
My plants so far. Are they looking decent for this time of year? These are first year plants and my first time growing hops.

Do the laterals need to be trained on the main vine or just leave them?
Don't train the laterals, just let them hang. I'm really surprised to hear some of you have laterals already. All of you must be much farther north. I haven't even started training mine up the string yet. I have a lot to do in the next week or so.

I will need to take some of the shoots out of the Chinook and do some cuttings
Potted Goldings laying low for now.

1478224030924.jpg

1478224141661.jpg

Just wondering if anyone has heard about Neomexicanus seeds being imported into Australia yet? (I'm way too lazy to organise importing some myself)
I'm thinking if they grow well in Texas and New Mexico, they should grow fairly well in the Hunter/New England region

My garden this year; in the pot on the left behind the seat is my 2nd year Fuggle, in the left hand silver box is my 2nd year Hallertau, which I chopped the initial bines off the other day to allow the new shoots coming up all over it to take priority, and on the right silver box is my first year Cascade. The Fuggle and Cascade have started sprouting tiny laterals, or what I figure are laterals anyway.. will wait and see what they end up doing first.

14882295_10211478430545003_441716391833790032_o.jpg

Looks like a nice place to enjoy a cold one mate.

One of the bines seems to be dying from the top down??
Any suggestions?

IMG_0508.JPG

Mine are copping a hammering from repetitive westerly winds up to 55 knots lately. So much so some climbing tips have gone limp and looks like I'm going to lose the tips. Though I think my stringing technique is working well as in like a bungy shock absorbsion in the wind.
A first year Goldings has climbed over 2m now with low laterals and so has Cascade.
Chinook finaly got out of bed and climbing with fat bines.
Tettnang has multiple climbers.
Red earth popped up early and now dormant with multiple ground level shoots.

IMG_1770Hops 2017.JPG

IMG_1772Hops 2017.JPG

IMG_1773Hops 2017.JPG

IMG_1776Hops 2017.JPG

IMG_1778Hops 2017.JPG

IMG_1780Hops 2017.JPG

IMG_1784Hops 2017.JPG

Mine are a couple of months old now. Next season I'll make large raised beds and transplant them.
Growing these things for the first time is a lot of fun.
The photos are Saaz, Dr Rudi, Cascade.
Would it be too late to plant more ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

abyss said:
Looks like a nice place to enjoy a cold one mate.
Thanks mate, yeah I definitely enjoy a few out there or on the deck above where my kegerator sits (beside the shadow on the right).

LiquidGold said:
I like how you got the lawn strips going on.
Yeah I've got one of those 45 cylinder mowers. I like the striped effect too, sometimes for shits n giggles I put a checkerboard effect on it :D

Is it worth while taking some cuttings from the lower laterals?

Wachey said:
Is it worth while taking some cuttings from the lower laterals?
Do you have the space and/or demand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back