2016 - what was your beer of the year

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfman1

Reaction score
I was having a few brews with my brother before Christmas and we were discussing our favourite beer of the year. UNTAPPD makes it a fairly easy process.

Mine was a joint even honours between boat rocker Ramjet and dainton family Brewers ******* brother, rye Belgian IPA.
Admittedly the year isn't over, but I can't see me getting anything to beat these two.

Mine was Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus, followed very closely by Lindemans Cuvée Rene Oude Gueze.

Modus operandi former tenant red IPA, just a superbly balanced beer, lovely hop flavour and perfect amount of malt to hide the alcohol

I'm with you wolfman. Boatrocker ramjet. It made me sad when I finished the glass because I couldn't find a retailer online that had another bottle to buy.

The Dog series.. B, C, D, E.. stunning

Sierra Nevada Maillards Odyessey

Epic Dankomatic...

Stone 15 Imperial Black IPA

...so many, oh so many BA' ris's to name..

I think for me, it's the 'style' of the year and without doubt it's been RIS as a standout winner.

Fullers London Porter. Local bottle shop stocks it (and many others). So far I've had about 20 attempts at brewing something close and failed, but I will one day ...

Always an interesting discussion topic, as I'm guessing like me most of us wouldn't have tasted 'all the beers'. Standout for me from my small tasting pool has been 4 Pines APA. Man it's sooooo good from a fresh keg in a stock standing pint glass.

Also enjoyed the Dainton SamuRYE Lager.

Lots to choose from this year but I'm gonna say

golden road wolf among the weeds.

Quite a few standouts. Big ups to the distributors and shops that have given us a hugely increased selection:

Nogne Ø Aquavit Imperial Porter
Brewdog Dog E
Omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar IPA
Stone Wootstout 2015
Yob's RIS barrel samples
Hargreaves Imperial Red Ale 2014
Founder's KBS
Pelican Brewing Imperial Pelican Ale
Tuatara XV
Ovila Abbey Quad with Plums
Sierra Nevada Otra Vez Gose

Not a lot of examples for me this year, but nothing that stood out.
In general I have found the craft beer market is becoming very underwhelming.
I don't wanna start any arguments. I don't have ready access to a good range of beers.
If I had to say one it would be Aguila, Colombian Lager, malty and flavoursome despite the style.

Leyther said:
Modus operandi former tenant red IPA, just a superbly balanced beer, lovely hop flavour and perfect amount of malt to hide the alcohol
It's a toss up between this and the similar Panhead Johnny Octane.

Both superb Red IPAs.

Latest posts

Back