2016 Qld xmas in july case swap tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry man, I copied from my post page, I'll try and fix now

1. Winkle - W3031 Acerola Tarwe 7.5 abv drink now mofos.
2. Earle - Smoked Rye Farmhouse Ale - ready to drink now
3. Brewkid - Biere De Garde
4. madpierre06 - Black Rye IPA - Bottled 16.7.16 - I'd give it minimum 7th August.
5. Motabika - Lichtenhainer.Ready to drink
6. lukiferj - Rye Hard with a Bitty Smoke (only bottled 14/7 so will need about 3 weeks to carb up)
7. Liam_snorkel - Black Brett IPA - aged 1 year - approx 7.1% ABV - READY NOW
8. Parks - Shiraz Barrel-aged RIS 9.4% ABV - READY NOW
9. Seehuusen - Resch Extra Stout - with brett - READY NOW (or age it)
10. Ciderman - Gingerbread Brown Ale 6.0% 35ibu. Bottled 21st May. Ready.
11. Fattox - cherrywood smoked foreign extra stout - READY NOW
12. Lord Raja Goomba I - AIPA (A) or American Standard Bitter 12B - both ready to drink.
13. NickB - AIPA - drink as fresh as ****... Like yesterday. (approx 5.7% ABV)
14. Dan Barrington - Chilli Brown Ale/ Porter (Drink now, poor carefully)
15. Radshoes - infected saison - bottled straight from the barrel last night so do not drink until the 30th of July at least.
16. evoo4u - probably a Baltic Porter (will be winter after all)
17. Natdene - Dark/Black Ale...5.4% bottled 8/7....drink from say 7th August,
18. Bribie G - Midnight Train American Malt Liquor, y'all. Ready to drink, consult Doctor if pain persists.
19. Angus - "pick a windae" wee heavy - Ready to drink
20. Aydos -9.1% abv Sour imperial barrel aged stout and a keg hopped IPA (READY TO DRINK)
21. Robv - Dark Mild 3% , only bottled this week, give it 2 weeks
22. Benken25. Brewers breaky porter(smoked oatmeal porter with coffee and licorice 6.8%) Ready to drink
23. rokaxe - "Hellfire" Chilli Saison: 4.9% ABV, 27.5 IBU, 8,000,000 scoville - READY TO DRINK.
24. Adr0 - Wheat dopplebock - 8.3%. Drink anytime from now to the next month or two. No real rush. It's presenting exactly as I wanted in look and texture and it should present very different flavours as it gradually warms - hope everyone likes wheat.

1. Winkle - W3031 Acerola Tarwe 7.5 abv drink now mofos.
2. Earle - Smoked Rye Farmhouse Ale - ready to drink now
3. Brewkid - Biere De Garde
4. madpierre06 - Black Rye IPA - Bottled 16.7.16 - I'd give it minimum 7th August.
5. Motabika - Lichtenhainer.Ready to drink
6. lukiferj - Rye Hard with a Bitty Smoke (only bottled 14/7 so will need about 3 weeks to carb up)
7. Liam_snorkel - Black Brett IPA - aged 1 year - approx 7.1% ABV - READY NOW
8. Parks - Shiraz Barrel-aged RIS 9.4% ABV - READY NOW
9. Seehuusen - Resch Extra Stout - with brett - READY NOW (or age it)
10. Ciderman - Gingerbread Brown Ale 6.0% 35ibu. Bottled 21st May. Ready.
11. Fattox - cherrywood smoked foreign extra stout - READY NOW
12. Lord Raja Goomba I - AIPA (A) or American Standard Bitter 12B - both ready to drink.
13. NickB - AIPA - drink as fresh as ****... Like yesterday. (approx 5.7% ABV)
14. Dan Barrington - Chilli Brown Ale/ Porter (Drink now, poor carefully)
15. Radshoes - infected saison - bottled straight from the barrel last night so do not drink until the 30th of July at least.
16. evoo4u - probably a Baltic Porter (will be winter after all)
17. Natdene - Dark/Black Ale...5.4% bottled 8/7....drink from say 7th August,
18. Bribie G - Midnight Train American Malt Liquor, y'all. Ready to drink, consult Doctor if pain persists.
19. Angus - "pick a windae" wee heavy 6.5% - Ready to drink
20. Aydos -9.1% abv Sour imperial barrel aged stout and a keg hopped IPA (READY TO DRINK)
21. Robv - Dark Mild 3% , only bottled this week, give it 2 weeks
22. Benken25. Brewers breaky porter(smoked oatmeal porter with coffee and licorice 6.8%) Ready to drink
23. rokaxe - "Hellfire" Chilli Saison: 4.9% ABV, 27.5 IBU, 8,000,000 scoville - READY TO DRINK.
24. Adr0 - Wheat dopplebock - 8.3%. Drink anytime from now to the next month or two. No real rush. It's presenting exactly as I wanted in look and texture and it should present very different flavours as it gradually warms - hope everyone likes wheat.

Earle's Smoked Rye Farmhouse

Probably too cold, but getting good spiciness from the rye, just a hint of the funk, body good and finishes slightly dry. Waiting for it to warm a little bit very tasty mate!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469243225.419389.jpg

Yeah man, I saw [emoji23][emoji23] I didn't get a whole lot of smoke in my bottle... But as it warmed some of the funk came through. Very tasty!

13 NickB AIPA ... absolutely classic, entering it in the QLD?
22 Benken25 Breaky Porter .. a lot happening there, didn't quite get the liquorice but the rest was bloody nice.. I'm thinking of introducing extra stuff into my stout and porters .. even got a bottle of chocolate essence from Aldi, where else :p

Someone pointed out a bottle in my esky during the night. Wasn't sure who or why but I'm drinking it.

My only educated guess is this is Aydos' Flanders Red. It's bloody amazing especially on a Summer's day in the middle of Winter.

Not part of the actual swap but this is where the action is from that night so I'll allow it...

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469251426.737381.jpg

19. Angus - "pick a windae" wee heavy 6.5%
Crystal clear, deep red/amber colour, low-med carbonation. Caramel malt aroma and palate, full bodied but not cloying, clean finish. Nailed it [emoji7]
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469251827.557518.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469251843.291950.jpg

22. Benken25. Brewers breaky porter(smoked oatmeal porter with coffee and licorice 6.8%)

Smells and tastes like bacon. Actual bacon as in I can taste the pork. This is great! Not getting any coffee or liquorice, unless that's what you fed to the beast before converting it into bacon. Cheers, this **** knows smoke.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469253094.278736.jpg

19. Angus Pick a Windae Wee Heavy.

Every other Wee Heavy I have had has been cloying. But this actually finishes a little dry. Tasty and big on malt but it's actually really easy to drink.

Well done Angus beautiful looking and tasting beer

View attachment 90121

Och I'll drenk that yin next, havnae had a Wee Heavy for ages, need tae get pissed then gae oot an dee some Pakki bashin.

Two more superb beers tonight:

13 - Nick's AIPA
As others have said, looks dark but drinks with a great body. Smells of passionfruit, mango and melon - bit of Mosaic in there? Slight hint of burnt toffee, but nothing close to cloying and it matches brilliantly with the superb, hyperbolic bitterness. Seriously impressive bitterness: firm but balanced, long-lasting, and builds to a woodier bitterness with more frequent sips - as one is prone to do with a beer like this.
Although I like more of the mid-range/toastier malts in IPA's, this is a stellar example of an AIPA - job very well done.

11 - Fattox's cherrywood smoked FES
Black, ruby highlights, a dark brown head, and heavy on the drinking arm - a sign of a good stout. Or it could be that I've climbed far too many ladders today...
Smell is pretty subdued, with chocolate there and a slight smokiness - not a bacon smoke though.
Taste is wonderful - beautiful smoke is there from the initial sip to the lasting finish, with caramel and chocolate in there too.
Very very minor tartness in the finish from the roasted malts - what was your water chemistry like?
How did you do the cherrywood smoking - a kg or so of the pale over the wood smoke? The beer is fantastic - a wonderful stout with a unique depth of smoke, well done.

angus_grant said:
Just in case people don't get the name, it's an insult used in Scotland before/trying to start a fight.
"Pick a windae, ye leavin!"
I shall leave via the window closest to the ground with a mattress underneath...

Thanks champion!
11x habaneros in a 60 min boil with the first hop addition at 30 mins. Heat instead of bitterness, which relies more on that heat. Glad you enjoyed it :)
Bribie G said:
14. Dan Barrington Chilli brown ale porter.

I always considered chilli beers to be a bit of a wank, but this stuff is an eye opener - really good and the chillies work well with the dark malts. What quantities and methods to infuse the chillis? I'll definitely try this with my next FES

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469268793.216407.jpg

14. What an absolute cracker

My brother Dbaz has made this chilli infused porter that he's called Chili Nelson. Nice tight head, chocolate and caramel malts with a pleasant lingering heat that is growing in the back of my throat. Delicious. Hail Satan.

NickB said:
Yeah man, I saw [emoji23][emoji23] I didn't get a whole lot of smoke in my bottle... But as it warmed some of the funk came through. Very tasty!
Interesting comments in terms of the smoke. I knew Ben wouldn't think there was much smoke. Could be one of those things where it depends on how much smoked beer you've been exposed to?? Cheers guys

Parks said:
Someone pointed out a bottle in my esky during the night. Wasn't sure who or why but I'm drinking it.

My only educated guess is this is Aydos' Flanders Red. It's bloody amazing especially on a Summer's day in the middle of Winter.

Not part of the actual swap but this is where the action is from that night so I'll allow it...

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469251426.737381.jpg

Nope that's my red apple berlinner

8. Parks Barrel Aged Ris.

This hits all the bjcp characteristics bang on, but with the added bonus of red wine and oak.

Well done Parks beautiful beer r[attachment=90128:ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469271630.701173.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469271630.701173.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469271630.701173.jpg
    774.2 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Back