2016 QLD Xmas Case Swap (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10. Benken25 - American farmhouse with mulberry and chilli
High carbonation but easy pour. Fruity & slightly vegetal aroma that might be the chilli, v refreshing as Goati said, slightly tart zing and starting to get a hum of chilli on my lips while nearing the end of the bottle. Also getting some pepper in the aroma as it warms up. Solid lacing also. Good stuff as always
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482043941.286501.jpg

#23 Parks' Black IPA.

On the stoutier side of black IPA - so many black IPAs are IPAs that just happen to be black rather than ones like this. This is my preference. Is gud. Not overwhelmingly hoppy, in fact I guess subtle for a 7% IPA, but what is there is delicious and fresh.

Edit: Joisius that image size. Testing AHB uploader...

15631222_10153966912556207_39019061_o.jpg

14. Ciderman - Mulberry Sour
Pink/crimson & fizzy. Heaps of fruit in the aroma with some nutty dough-like funk. Sour and fruity. No head retention, thanks lacto. Delicious.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482047957.897973.jpg

The hops are citra mosaic and falconers flight. They are all but lost in the rest of the beer

#14 Ciderman Mulberry Sour

Sorry but the aroma and taste in the back of my palate of bread yeast overwhelms what is otherwise a beer I can taste the delicious aspects of. Liam just described it as "doughy" but liked it so I wonder if it's just a personal taste issue? There was a lot of headspace in the bottle, could this be a factor? I love the sourness and the berries - this type of beer is definitely my jams. I really want to like it but can't overcome the aforementioned issue. Kudos for taking the time to brew a legit sour. I've only ever done 'fake' sours with lactic acid!

15609177_10153967161821207_1540494904_o.jpg

10. Benken25 - American farmhouse with mulberry and chilli

As others have mentioned this beer is delicious. A nice fruity and peppery aroma which is evident in the flavour too. The pepper character from the yeast is very nice and balances out the beer quite well. The Chilli is quite subdued and I'm not sure I am even detecting it.

I could easily drink a few of these in a sitting, now I want to make a saison.

Cheers mate!

1482056673537.jpg

giatuprs said:
#14 Ciderman Mulberry Sour

Sorry but the aroma and taste in the back of my palate of bread yeast overwhelms what is otherwise a beer I can taste the delicious aspects of. Liam just described it as "doughy" but liked it so I wonder if it's just a personal taste issue? There was a lot of headspace in the bottle, could this be a factor? I love the sourness and the berries - this type of beer is definitely my jams. I really want to like it but can't overcome the aforementioned issue. Kudos for taking the time to brew a legit sour. I've only ever done 'fake' sours with lactic acid!

attachicon.gif
15609177_10153967161821207_1540494904_o.jpg
I left it on the fruit longer than i usually would. I think it's picked up some brettanomyces on the journey, which is fairly dominant. Had a couple of 3rd parties green light the beer as I'm a bit sensitive to brett (if that's what it is)

It didn't fully attenuate so it's retained some juicy berry sweetness. Given it soured to about 3.2ph it's leveled at a nice balance.

The beer was a little out of my comfort zone of brewing so I'm sure I'll be better for it next attempt.

Ciderman said:
I left it on the fruit longer than i usually would. I think it's picked up some brettanomyces on the journey, which is fairly dominant. Had a couple of 3rd parties green light the beer as I'm a bit sensitive to brett (if that's what it is)

It didn't fully attenuate so it's retained some juicy berry sweetness. Given it soured to about 3.2ph it's leveled at a nice balance.

The beer was a little out of my comfort zone of brewing so I'm sure I'll be better for it next attempt.
Nah I don't think brett is the bread yest character. I like a bit of brett but I'm only really familiar with brett C.

Soz, I hated giving something a negative review :(. Especially when I'm a noob and don't know what reviews of mine will be like :p.

# 17 Robust Porter - Drink whenever. A bit of age shouldn't hurt it, but it should be nice now.

It was done in a kegmenter and transferred into corny's via gas and then purged bottles via a carb cap, so it should last a fair while in the bottle.

Didn't want to brag, but this is very close to the beer that got me 1st at QABC for porter's, so really keen to get feedback from the other guys with porters that weren't submitted, because I reckon Peege's would have been up there too if you'd put it in the comp mate.

Happy to share a recipe if people want.

giatuprs said:
Nah I don't think brett is the bread yest character. I like a bit of brett but I'm only really familiar with brett C.

Soz, I hated giving something a negative review :(. Especially when I'm a noob and don't know what reviews of mine will be like :p.
All good, better to be honest! I had a hunch it would divide the crowd, the sour beers usually do.

pcqypcqy said:
# 17 Robust Porter - Drink whenever. A bit of age shouldn't hurt it, but it should be nice now.

It was done in a kegmenter and transferred into corny's via gas and then purged bottles via a carb cap, so it should last a fair while in the bottle.

Didn't want to brag, but this is very close to the beer that got me 1st at QABC for porter's, so really keen to get feedback from the other guys with porters that weren't submitted, because I reckon Peege's would have been up there too if you'd put it in the comp mate.

Happy to share a recipe if people want.
Gee you've put the pressure on yourself! Won't get a chance to pick up my beers till the new year, but i will drink yours first!

1. Julebryg

Nice drop Roger, it did have the spices of the season as you mentioned, a very enjoyable beer to kick start the tastings.

IMG_0653.JPG

6. Earle - Choc Wheat IPA

Pours black. Light tan head with strong head retention & lacing. Aroma is roasty with a kind of flowery/citrus hop aroma which overall reminds me of Victory Storm King (maybe some centennial?) Smooth and full mouthfeel but not too chewy. Bitterness is there but not abrasive. Good stuff
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482144492.980637.jpg

17. pesky - Robust Porter

Lovely drop mate, so easy to drink considering the descriptor 'robust', really well balanced. So glad I doubled up for the swap, means I have another onee to put away for a while.

:beerbang:

*Update - this really is a sleeper. Take lightly at your peril.

IMG_0655.JPG

madpierre06 said:
17. pesky - Robust Porter

Lovely drop mate, so easy to drink considering the descriptor 'robust', really well balanced. So glad I doubled up for the swap, means I have another onee to put away for a while.

:beerbang:

*Update - this really is a sleeper. Take lightly at your peril.

Cheers. Nice glass too:

kegmenter 3.jpg

just chucked that one in the fridge for tonight :beer:

updated list. Just waiting on Luggy & Tazman to confirm when their beers are ready:

1. evoo4u - Julebryg (Drink NOW)
2. Aydos - Galaxy Pale ale - Bottled 16/12 so leave it until at least 30th. It will be ready for new years!
3. Liam_Snorkel - Impish Stout - 2.0% ABV (Drink NOW)
4. Ballantyne - funktown pale ale - 5.4% abv fermented since 9 oct - (bottled 14th dec allow to carb)
5. madpierre06 - Funky Saison (Drink in 5 months or now - Orval dregs)
6. Earle - Choc Wheat IPA (Drink NOW)
7. Luggy - Oatmeal Stout
8. Davy - Rye Pale - (bottled 12th dec - allow to carb)
9. Peege - Ainsley Harriot milk stout - (drink now - pour carefully)
10. Benken25 - American farmhouse with mulberry and chilli (Drink NOW)
12. Beersuit - Belgian Blonde (allow to carb)
13. evoo4u - APA (Drink NOW)
14. Ciderman - Mulberry Sour (Drink NOW if bottle firm)
16. giatuprs - Rex Banner's Bannier Hammer XPA - upscaled version of Brewditos' Brett APA from that Bacchus thing (Drink NOW)
17. pcqypcqy - Robust Porter (Drink NOW)
18. Nickxb - Coconut Rum Porter (Drink NOW)
21. Peege - Grvm RIPA - Red IPA (wait 2 weeks to carb)
22. madpierre06 - Hopp-a-long Saison (Drink NOW)
23. Parks - 7.2% Black IPA (Drink NOW)
24. tazman1967 "Scorched Earth" Smoked Saison

1. evoo4u - Julebryg (Drink NOW)
2. Aydos - Galaxy Pale ale - Bottled 16/12 so leave it until at least 30th. It will be ready for new years!
3. Liam_Snorkel - Impish Stout - 2.0% ABV (Drink NOW)
4. Ballantyne - funktown pale ale - 5.4% abv fermented since 9 oct - (bottled 14th dec allow to carb)
5. madpierre06 - Funky Saison (Drink in 5 months or now - Orval dregs)
6. Earle - Choc Wheat IPA (Drink NOW)
7. Luggy - Oatmeal Stout, bottled 9th December, had a test bottle last night and it was tasting good so drink whenever
8. Davy - Rye Pale - (bottled 17th dec - allow to carb)
9. Peege - Ainsley Harriot milk stout - (drink now - pour carefully)
10. Benken25 - American farmhouse with mulberry and chilli (Drink NOW)
12. Beersuit - Belgian Blonde (allow to carb)
13. evoo4u - APA (Drink NOW)
14. Ciderman - Mulberry Sour (Drink NOW if bottle firm)
16. giatuprs - Rex Banner's Bannier Hammer XPA - upscaled version of Brewditos' Brett APA from that Bacchus thing (Drink NOW)
17. pcqypcqy - Robust Porter (Drink NOW)
18. Nickxb - Coconut Rum Porter (Drink NOW)
21. Peege - Grvm RIPA - Red IPA (wait 2 weeks to carb)
22. madpierre06 - Hopp-a-long Saison (Drink NOW)
23. Parks - 7.2% Black IPA (Drink NOW)
24. tazman1967 "Scorched Earth" Smoked Saison

Confirming #16 is defs ready. I'm happy with it but keen to hear feedback!

Drinking evoo4u 13 apa. Nice beer mate subtle fruity hop aroma light body very sessionable

17. pcqypcqy - Robust Porter

Black with a tan head, good lacing. Aroma is dark chocolate with some roast. Mouthfeel is smooth and full, slightly sweet. Finishes with a light bitter roast. Very nice dessert beer [emoji108]
what's the ABV?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482230976.087694.jpg

Latest posts

Back