2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LiquidGold said:
Looking pretty wild there! Is that Mugwort in the middle by any chance? I've got a small plant in a pot which needs potting up and was told if I put it in the ground I'd never get rid of it.
Yes, its a Artemisia of some description - Read that they were awesome for companion planting/natural pest control. Has indeed grown large. Whole garden is supposed to be herby/edible. Seems the hops like it too.

Also no pesticides/ herbicides etc were used. Chook, horse & sheep poo were tho.

Yob said:
Yes indeed.. They need the water man, I also had irrigation issues and my Victoria and Cascade didn't flower..
Ah nasty. Thanks for the heads up, I've found that gravity fed can lead to inconsistencies pretty easily although I might still uprade my water storage barrel to an IBC to get more pressure and longer lasting volume. Since I've expanded the dirt vege patch there are way too many drippers on the one circuit also doing the hops and I simply wasn't checking the drippers and barrel often enough.

Yob said:
Yes indeed.. They need the water man, I also had irrigation issues and my Victoria and Cascade didn't flower..
I will have some extra dried YOB once harvest is complete. If you want wet, once my commitment of 40kgs is done, you're welcome to pick.

Brew day yesterday at Kooinda Boutique Brewery with my hops. Hops were dried and packaged the day before. We'll be stuffing 40kgs of wet hops into the secondary once fermentation is complete.

Going into kegs and will be available at Oscar's Alehouse, Kooinda Boutique Brewing, Carwyn Cellars, Bad Shepherd Brewing, and many other fine establishments.

brad_tristan.jpg

hopback.jpg

clearwort.jpg

spenthops.jpg

933L.jpg

Did a brew Tuesday Night and used some of my first year chinook (wet) late in the boil. 23grams in total in a 23lt batch, so who know if i'll even know they are in there by the end. but hey it was fun having to climb on the roof before the storm rolled in to cut down some hops.

There is a fair amount of Chinook left on the bines so looking forward to using them also

IMG_20160225_132845_01.jpeg

IMG_20160225_132851_01.jpeg

IMG_20160223_210853.png

DU99 said:
any going out to the western suburbs (the park/hophead/valley cellars)
Not sure...I'll try and get the word out when I have a bit of free time. If you want it at a specific place, ask the venue to contact Kooinda to order a keg.

Mardoo said:
Awesome BB! Sweet victory, eh? Congratulations.
Cheers Mardoo :) Article coming out in Crafty soon as well. My fingernails are lupulin stained and the picking has only begun.

Harvested 300g chinook yesterday, drying as I write. Thinking about making a chinook ( single hop) pale ale and was wondering if I go with the 13%alpha and leaf as stated by brew smith or should I adjust...

First time brewing with my own hops, also first time brewing with chinook.....
Thanks
Beercus

image.jpg

That's the problem with home grown hops, you don't really know what the AA% is. I have seen it advised before that they are better used as late/flameout/dry hop additions for this reason, rather than bittering additions.

Rocker1986 said:
That's the problem with home grown hops, you don't really know what the AA% is. I have seen it advised before that they are better used as late/flameout/dry hop additions for this reason, rather than bittering additions.
So maybe use mosaic up to 25IBU from 60 mins, then do chinook at no chill (20min) and dry hop.

Thanks
Beercus

Have you used Mosaic? its a pretty wild beast. It stands out no matter how you use it I have found. Not to say it doesn't make excellent beer it has a dominating flavour.
So I'm thinking I'd use some kind of neutral bittering hop like magna for at least half of the estimated bitterness. Then use and average calculation of your own grown hops. I've spent tediouse time working out averages of wet and dry hops. Gotta love it. :chug:
The idea to load up the flavour with your own hops. Big doses late boil with wet or dry hops and in a sock in the keg with wet or dry flowers.
Sorry just rambling. If you grow something yourself its important to get that fresh flavour out front for your efforts.
I'm very close to harvest time (rubbing hands together). :p

Back