2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, all POR. Would hate to be picking through all those bines for different varieties.

1x 2nd year, 1x relocated and trimmed 4th year and about 6-8 1st year cuttings.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1449982254.203589.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1449982276.758635.jpg

First year Victoria at about 5.5m the Cascades only just taking off..

Not as much foliage this year, but lots more burrs. Going to be a good yield I think. 2nd year. Survived heatwaves &hail

I'm not growing any hops yet. I didn't realise they would grow in brisbane. If I was to build a large "Pot/Bed" out of old timber pellets, would this be better than plastic or stone/ceramic? Is there any one in brissie growing a good crop that I could come & get pointers off? My thumbs aren't brown, but they aren't green either.

Just a quick one, my Hallertau has developed a few of these things on a couple of the larger bines in the last few days. Are these burrs, that eventually turn into flowers?

IMG_09231.JPG

IMG_09241.JPG

Cuttings starting to take off. Victoria growing strongly but not sure if she's going to make many cones as the close ups show there's no real burrs happening or is this the beginning?

1450475382606.jpg

1450475471234.jpg

1450475526476.jpg

1450475568986.jpg

1450475595756.jpg

Be patient, they usually grow to a good height before throwing out laterals and burs. You'll know when it happens but yes that last photo shows the nodes where the laterals will grow from.

Brooa said:
I'm not growing any hops yet. I didn't realise they would grow in brisbane. If I was to build a large "Pot/Bed" out of old timber pellets, would this be better than plastic or stone/ceramic? Is there any one in brissie growing a good crop that I could come & get pointers off? My thumbs aren't brown, but they aren't green either.
From what I've read, the plants themselves don't have much trouble growing anywhere - the difference is in the amount of flowers you get off them. They flower better in areas down south where the daylight hours are longer than up here in Brisbane. That said, I have a couple of pots, one Hallertau and one Fuggle, and they are going pretty well. They're both first year plants. This is a photo of the Hallertau, which was planted at the beginning of November.

10359531_10208644985470647_886273376193029048_n.jpg

That mesh is about 2.5 metres high. I water them twice a day at the moment although this one I've begun watering 3 times a day to keep the soil moist. Good drainage ensures that the soil doesn't flood. They are potted in potting mix to which I added some Osmocote and chook poo. Should get some mulch too and probably cover the pot in foil to reflect heat, although they don't seem to be struggling. Next year I will try to find some larger pots and perhaps build a different style trellis for them.

What will happen with the bines when they get to the point of that tallest one and run out of mesh to keep climbing up? Do they just sort of fall over and attach themselves elsewhere onto the mesh or whatever?

Hey guys,

Long time user of hops, first time grower.
I'm at the gold coast and have a first year DrSmurto chinook that is starting to produce burrs. It's in a big rubbish bin of coco that I water with 'grow' nutrients. Should I swap to flowering nutrients now or wait a bit?

Rocker1986 said:
What will happen with the bines when they get to the point of that tallest one and run out of mesh to keep climbing up? Do they just sort of fall over and attach themselves elsewhere onto the mesh or whatever?
I'd like to know the answer to this as I have a couple about to reach the end of their respective strings and wanted to know if I should extend the strings (which is possible) or leave them be

Rocker1986 said:
From what I've read, the plants themselves don't have much trouble growing anywhere - the difference is in the amount of flowers you get off them. They flower better in areas down south where the daylight hours are longer than up here in Brisbane. That said, I have a couple of pots, one Hallertau and one Fuggle, and they are going pretty well. They're both first year plants. This is a photo of the Hallertau, which was planted at the beginning of November.

10359531_10208644985470647_886273376193029048_n.jpg

You can cut off the growing tips that will stop them wanting to climb and throw out some more side shoots.

image.jpeg
This leaf is typical of both my Vic & my Chinook plants, could the White spots be mildew?
Both plants are in large pots and receive regular watering (not directly onto leaves during daylight hours unless from rain) I feed them Seasol and power feed. Both plants are in close proximity to roses if that's relevant (aphids etc.) location is sth Vic

Hopefully just some sort of sand fly, looks the same as the ones that sting the shit out of me over summer.

wide eyed and legless said:
You can cut off the growing tips that will stop them wanting to climb and throw out some more side shoots.
Cool, I'll keep that in mind. Half tempted to just leave it alone out of curiosity to see what it does.

Latest posts

Back