2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the seasons over you can use it for doing your house renovations.

gallery_5481_1337_160303.jpg

+1 for bamboo

I got some strings up today which I doubled using the drill trick, bloody annoying to work with though because anytime its not tight it coils on itself.

Hi,
I have been thinking it would be great to try plant my own hops!
does anybody have any spare rhizomes or do you know where to get them from?

Thanks!

Well, I have to thank Steve (user DU99) for the 3 year old Victoria he gave me last night on my way home from Mildura...

It's currently sitting on top of my trampoline because it's the only place in the sun that I can keep it away from the 3,000-odd rabbits that occupy my property until I can get my hands on some chicken wire.

Project for tonight or tomorrow night is to build some strings and get this girl climbing, I'll post a couple of pictures of her when I get home from work

Some little bugger has been eating the stems on my cascades! Anyone know what would cause this?

There was also one spot where it looked like an incision had been made across the bine, and a drop of sap was coming out.

1445215381212.jpg 1445215393975.jpg

nathan_madness said:
12074786_10206740433102390_4829531333814375544_n.jpg

Upgrade complete!!!!
11201826_10206181886657622_5151969292903852324_n.jpg

As a HSE adviser I do not condone these activities.
Hahahahahahahaha bloody hell mate

That looks deadly as ....... wouldn't catch me doing anything like that

For the love of hops hey Nathan ?

Great looking trellis though

mofox1 said:
Some little bugger has been eating the stems on my cascades! Anyone know what would cause this?

There was also one spot where it looked like an incision had been made across the bine, and a drop of sap was coming out.

attachicon.gif
1445215381212.jpg
attachicon.gif
1445215393975.jpg
I had slaters chewing on mine when they first emerged. Genocide ensued with some generic slater killing powder from bunnings. Nobody messes with my hops.

As Nathan says he has Saaz and Goldings. You can also try gumtree. The bloke from Bendigo looks like he still has a few left.

NikZak said:
Well, I have to thank Steve (user DU99) for the 3 year old Victoria he gave me last night on my way home from Mildura...

It's currently sitting on top of my trampoline because it's the only place in the sun that I can keep it away from the 3,000-odd rabbits that occupy my property until I can get my hands on some chicken wire.

Project for tonight or tomorrow night is to build some strings and get this girl climbing, I'll post a couple of pictures of her when I get home from work
We'll I'm close to set up. Took a little trial and error (this being my first time stringing hops) but I found a nice structure on my property that faces roughly north to northwest so should get a decent amount of sun and set up a makeshift rabbit proof fence around it to keep the hungry buggers at bay

1445290550126.jpg

1445290562509.jpg

1445290574619.jpg

Damn, I didn't think of that... OK, looks like this weekend I'll be moving them to the other location I had planned which was in front of the kitchen window

Bridges said:
Finally got around to moving mine today, into a 900 x 900 raised garden arrangement. They should love it after the little pot they were stuck in. I hope it's not too late as they were just about to poke through the mulch when I turned it over. Time will tell. 2nd year cascade got all of about 45gram dry last year so I'm keen for a bigger return this year.
Seem to be going OK so set up some ropes to a tree with some bungy cord up top to allow some give. Looking forward to seeing how it all goes.
hops.jpg

Back