2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My little baby Victoria (thank you DrSmurto!) is already poking through

6Kff3Pl.jpg

I was so out of sorts seeing the shoots growing already that I assumed it was a weed!

I have Cascade 2nd season with many nodes under mulch ready to pounce again.
I have planted rhizomes of Victoria and Chinook (supplied by Dr Smurto) . 2 Victoria shoots are already up, In this bitterest of winter.
I will post a compilation sometime. B)

Judanero said:
Try thoroughly rinsing and then pasteurising some spent grain and innoculating that before adding it to your compost pile, add into that a large amount of matured horse manure and pea straw that is also pasteurised.

If you have an old esky it's a pretty straight forward process and oysters are super easy to grow.

Adding previously harvested substrate to the compost seems to always make a few pop up from time to time, I haven't been actively engaged in mycology of late but made a great shiitake chicken and veg soup last week that has me keen to innoculate again... Good luck with it.
My compost heap has dirt and stuff in it because it contains weeds with their roots and all. There would be no point going to the trouble of making grain spawn to inoculate it when a bit of finely chopped mushroom will do just as well. Super easy was the idea. If it doesn't work out, there will be no great loss.

Mt Hood, Cascade, Chinook, Goldings and the world's smallest Red Earth rhizome have all been planted. Most are first year rhizomes, but have my fingers crossed for a small harvest.

Dae Tripper said:
Singleton NSW. I think it might be early because it was so close to the surface after I got a cutting for a mate.
How did your hops go last year?
We've just moved to Muswellbrook and I've got a few zomes of my Hallertauer left, not sure whether to bother with them or not
Really should have grabbed some chinook

AJ80 said:
Mt Hood, Cascade, Chinook, Goldings and the world's smallest Red Earth rhizome have all been planted. Most are first year rhizomes, but have my fingers crossed for a small harvest.
I got about 150 g (dry) off my first year cascade goldings and chinook last year AJ. Looking forward to more this year.

Each.

Actually I got bugger all off the Goldings. Can someone tell me if goldings is anything like East Kent Goldings?

Anyone got Rhizomes to sell? My ex has my Cascade and Chinook 3rd year plants... :eek:

Time to start fresh I suppose... Can't see any in buy and sell at the moment.

Would be stoked with 150g dry. I have previously grown cascade at my old property, got 6 chinooks this year ready to climb all over my brew-shed at my new property. I am going to see if i can poke one inside once it gets to ceiling height, and see if it will run along the roofline inside the brewshed so I have hops hanging down over the bar (there is a skylight panels directly over the bar) - will most likely fail terribly, but should be interesting. haha.

Any crop this year will go in a wet hop IPA.

I've got a small POR you can have. Where are you mate?

Curly79 said:
I've got a small POR you can have. Where are you mate?
I am Brunswick West / Coburg mate if you are Melbourne based.

Cheers for the offer. Love some fresh Super Pride or PoR.

syl said:
I am Brunswick West / Coburg mate if you are Melbourne based.

Cheers for the offer. Love some fresh Super Pride or PoR.
I sent you a PM. Cheers

Also contacted the ex - she is going to let me grab my Cascade and Chinook. WHOOOOO!!!!

Also have about 8 50L CUB/Lion kegs at the back of her joint.

Curly79 said:
Each.

Actually I got bugger all off the Goldings. Can someone tell me if goldings is anything like East Kent Goldings?
I asked Hoppy2b the same question, and he confirmed that they were...

Matplat said:
I asked Hoppy2b the same question, and he confirmed that they were...
They are the same hop. Just different growing area, a'la champagen!

syl said:
They are the same hop. Just different growing area, a'la champagen!
If you still want some, come see me.

Anyone else, I've got a bag of Canterbury Goldings out back, if they aren't collected, I'll be planting them down the rivulet to see if they won't catch and grow wild.

I can probably dig up a Victoria zome or two, but you best hurry. In a few weeks I'll be less willing to disturb them.

Free pickup only.

Back