2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just getting back into this thread after taking a long break...
I've got flower buds all over my Victoria and I'm just wondering if it's normal that they haven't really grown in size at all in weeks?
The bines are growing lots and climbing and twisting all over...and new buds appear here and there...but none of the buds actually grow bigger than a pea.

Is this expected?

My hops have burred out very late this year and are also sitting at the burr stage. This is very different from last year, so I suspect it's the year. Bit then there are other folks in Melbourne like Camo6 who have already had a first harvest, so go figure.

Im still at burr.
Saaz and cascade.
Bulleen...

1421720529330.jpg

Mine are loving the weather in the Hunter at the moment....35+ degree days assisted with a good soak with the hose, 2 days of solid rain followed by more sun and humidity. I went out for a look this morning and was blown away with a mass of growth and new 2 to 3 foot laterals....bloody magical
The Hersbrucker in the last 2 pics is a miracle in itself, coming back from the dead several weeks back to nearly 8 foot of growth and spurs everywhere

1421720901597.jpg

1421720943066.jpg

1421720958928.jpg

1421720971939.jpg

1421720989759.jpg

1421721019841.jpg

My first year cascade and chinook have been doing well, been hammered by a hot day here and there and strong winds but it now looks like something is eating them. Haven't seen anything in action. They seem to be eating around the base of the leaves and cutting them off.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Any ideas?

Rgds

Linford

Linford said:
My first year cascade and chinook have been doing well, been hammered by a hot day here and there and strong winds but it now looks like something is eating them. Haven't seen anything in action. They seem to be eating around the base of the leaves and cutting them off.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

Any ideas?

Rgds

Linford
Any ideas? Yeah, stick them in the ground and keep the water up. And give them more strings to climb up. :blink:

Yea thanks. They will be in the ground next year

That brick wall might cook em on a hot day too Linford. I've got a chinook hanging from the eaves of a north facing brick wall that doesn't do well during a heat wave.

After the harvest when everyone trims back there hops so they don't take over the whole garden, what do they do with there surplus rhizomes? Is there a bit hop swap thread somewhere? I have Saaz and Mt Hood growing but would love to get some big APA type hops for next season.
Dave

No expert but read somewhere you could bury them. Put them to work under the soil.

IMG_3406.JPG
Chinook and the smaller cascade with the real hop thief.

It's the White Rabbit Hop Thief, mmm Cascade flavoured rabbit stew.yum.

First harvest for the year. Just over 100g pre-dried. Drying room/bathroom smells amazing

IMAG0668.jpg

I have burrs! My Perle has finally started making flowers, there isn't a lot there but it is something. Just a few morw months until harvest.

This is a 1st year plant the top of the pole is 3.7m and the bine with the flowers is 5m, there are three other bines. My Cascade is at 3m and just staring lateral growth.

Perle.jpg

Yob said:
came across this... works of art

attachicon.gif
Oast.JPG
Wow That's keen
I spose I have the right weather at this time if the year
a few days on a flyscreen door on the mezanine in the shed (where my spare timber is) and they're dry as!

interesting ...
harvesting in Canberra
just beginning to flower in Tas
some if my Fuggles will be ready to harvest this w/e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back