2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spohaw said:
I know it's an old post but would like to know where I could get a galaxy rhizome from ??

Was under the impression you couldn't get a rhizome
Keep reading down a few posts, the dude corrects himself after I asked a similar question

Picked my mini-harvest of cascade this morning. Looks like there's more burrs forming on the younger bines so might get another harvest hopefully. Never had them this early before. Think they're telling me they want to go in the ground this winter.
2015-01-01 15.32.32.jpg

10433136_823172887740813_1217483982584731048_n.jpg

156019_823192571072178_4255334228876089806_n.jpg

I dragged the chain a bit getting these out of the small pots that I originally had them in and running some cord for the bines to climb up. But I'm quite happy with the results so far.

Cheers rob , I read last page first then worked my way back , checked again after slcmorro's comment then found then other post saying it was a different variety

Bounced back after every bine was tipped by the brisbane hail storm

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1420105878.176916.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1420105893.390987.jpg

I picked a few flowers on saturday, very tiny and next to no dank yellow goodness
will wait and see how it goes in time, still got more flowers popping up every few days

I'd almost given up hope of 5/6 of mine recovering, but 1 of each variety has recovered strongly. Last summer, the plants were wiped out by hoppers overnight and the regrowth was then devastated by harsh weather and a second onslaught by hoppers. During winter, the root systems were largely eaten out by the larvae of cane beetles( brown Christmas beetles ). Should be enough cones from the chinook and cascade for a wet hop brew still...cyclones, low pressure systems, bugs and drought permitting.

This winter, I'll lift all of the roots and stick them in a fridge for a month or so. To see what effect it has on them. Good opportunity to take a few rhyzomes off for others.

image.jpg

Hopefully I can salvage something from this years crop. Main stringline gave up the ghost while I was away for 4 days...... &%K! Had a heap of burrs on it too. :angry2:

hops6.jpghops7.jpg

Manged to fix the line and get them back up. Hopefully any damaged bines have been kept to a minimum. Definitely will put a dent in the yield! Will have to look at Stainless cable next year. bugger

hops8.jpg hops9.jpg

Can you string it back up matrix? I had a few fall on me last year so I tied bailing twine to the end of the bines and lifted them back up. Would be good to get them off the ground.... I feel your pain!

One of mine is only just flowering doh.. Mind u they are only 1st years!! Already thinking of next years trellis design!!

If the bines are snapped but not completely severed you can mend them with masking tape haha (I did this last year)

T[attachment=77621:ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1420188299.758569.jpg

Mine is mixed in with passionfruit and rosemary

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1420188299.758569.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1420188299.758569.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 43
I've got 2 first year rhizomes, a perle and a cascade. The perle has one bine over 3m another at 2+m and two more at only 1-2m, but it is only just starting the grow a second pair of leaves from each node and no sign of flowers. I think this is amazing for something that was the size of my little finger a few months ago.

The cascade is a wimp and is only 0.5-1.5m depending on the bine and in a similar sad state wrt leaves.

Do I need to panic or is it just a matter of feed the girls up this year and waiting for next year? They are growing in a north facing position and have had plenty of food, brewing trub, pelletised chook poo, power feed and some juice from my worm farm on roughly 2 week interval.

IMG_6662.JPG

just wait.. u will lag cause the colder climate

Quick update

Recent rains have been welcome and seem to have helped the growth a fair bit, I don't think my feeding regime has been regular enough. Cones forming on one bine with preflowers appearing on several others. Very happy with the look of them right now although a little anxious about lines breaking in strong winds.

Hop Flowers.jpg

Hops Jan2015.jpg

Camo6 said:
Picked my mini-harvest of cascade this morning. Looks like there's more burrs forming on the younger bines so might get another harvest hopefully. Never had them this early before. Think they're telling me they want to go in the ground this winter.
attachicon.gif
2015-01-01 15.32.32.jpg
Picked the wrong days to dry my first crop in the box trailer as we had our first real hot ones in Melbourne. Dried to a crisp in 36 hours! Came away with 140gms so should go well in a New Year Ale. Got the feeling the hot weather has fried my young laterals on the Chinook close to the house, the same as last year. Really need to move them this winter (pretty sure I said that last season).

Some small cones forming on my German hops. Time to get them up off the ground I suppose. Trellis to be raised today. Already in place, but on the ground.

First harvest of the season
Needed to get the bigger ones off to allow for more to advance

150g wet

1420434657177.jpg

Thinking about a first pick on my cascades.... But the Chinook and the Cluster are still a ways of here in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland. ...

1420800703577.jpg

1420800734124.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back