2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I be worried about possums? They're f@@@ing everywhere in my area! Mine are yet to sprout

'usually' there are many other tastier things about than hops during spring, that said, its not unheard of for them to have a nibble... long term though, your hops will outgrow what the possums want to eat from it.

Luke1992 said:
Should I be worried about possums? They're f@@@ing everywhere in my area! Mine are yet to sprout
I'd state my method for keeping them off stuff, but I think the greenies would disagree with it.

Martrix said:
Nice one, about 5 meters high? How much dry flower did you get last season?
When I made it I measured it at closer 6 meters high. I was looking for 18 ft of height. Unfortunately I was away from home in March last year and by the time I got back the flowers weren't worth harvesting.

Lochem said:
that is truly impressive.
It didn't take to long to make and I think I found the idea on AHB somewhere. I made a hinge on the trellis to lower the bines for harvesting (I found they didn't all flower at the same time) and bolted it to the steel fence post. With fully grown bines its withstood 80kph+ winds or everything mother nature has thrown at it for the last 2.5 years

Just need to look out for low flying planes :)

Luke1992 said:
a Jack Russel or two keeps them under control - or anything else fluffy and smaller than a human for that matter.

Thats some kind of Green thing right, when you introduce a natural predator to thin out their numbers balance out the ecosystem. So they dont eat all their food and starve the poor things.

I built this structure a few years back to hold the hops
The good thing is that SWIMBO has the impression that I built it for HER :)
works really well and seems to with stand the winds

On a serious note, I noticed last year (first year of growing hops) was that there was very little to no flowers below the level of the deck (1.5-1.8m)

Cheers

IMG_3149_small.jpg

As a result of my puppy destroying my previous photo within 2 hours of planting, i've had to devise this puppy proof plan. This will see the hops through until they are strong enough to fight for themselves. Ill remove my handiwork once im at the point of first harvest and probably be done with it... In the interim, nothings getting close :D

IMAG1324.jpg

1st-timer hop-farmer

Cascade x 2, Chinook x 2, Perle and Pride of Ringwood. All in pots. Dont'a have the luxury of a big yard. Getting about 6 hours of sun at the moment, hopefully 8+ later in the year. p.s these pots have been dog proofed.

Planted 3 weeks ago, just got my first cascade shoots!

Usind my house as a trellis

Looking good sixDB, very neat
One question, is roof height (where you have the top of the lines attached the typical 2.7-3m?
If so don't be disheartened if they yield a bit low, typically I've found very few flowers on the lower 1.5-1.8m of bine
If you also find this, next year you might be able to build a taller trellis

I've been keen to grow some hops but have heard they are poisonous for dogs, people with dogs seem to be growing them though ... am I being overly concerned, or should I set something up for next year?

Planted my rhizomes chinooks in the foreground and cascade in the background.. Looking at the best options for trellis now... Exciting time ahead

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407477729.971018.jpg

I have a dog...I emailed my vet to ask about the hazards. They said that the processed hop is poisonous i.e. pellets etc. but the hop plant itself will be fine and your dog should show no interest.

But to be safe, I'll keep an eye out when flowering.

Ramps said:
Looking good sixDB, very neat
One question, is roof height (where you have the top of the lines attached the typical 2.7-3m?
If so don't be disheartened if they yield a bit low, typically I've found very few flowers on the lower 1.5-1.8m of bine
If you also find this, next year you might be able to build a taller trellis
All good. 2 story. Have a good 6-7m of trellis

Ramps said:
On a serious note, I noticed last year (first year of growing hops) was that there was very little to no flowers below the level of the deck (1.5-1.8m)

Cheers
Ya what is with that!? I've noticed the same thing over the last few years. This year I had 6m+ of height and zero flowers below 2m wtf

I have heard podcasts where commercial growers have said most hop plants will not flower below 1.5 to 1.8 meters (yep, same numbers). That was certainly the case last year on most of my plants. Except my Hersbrucker blossomed very low... 1.3 to 1.5 meters.

Here's my lineup for this year. They're not in their final positions where they'll grow yet:

Fuggles, Hersbrucker, Mt. Hood, Goldings, Cascade, Chinook, Willamette, Victoria

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407537918.443442.jpg

I thought I would just post in this thread instead of starting a new one.

I have a rhizome I just got the the LHBS that I want to plant in a pot. Is it ok to just fill the pot up with potting mix or should I be adding something else in there for some nutrients?

Cheers,
Dixon

As big a pot as you can get, good soft top soil and organic mulch, they do better in the ground but you can get away with pots for the first year well enough

Would they grow along a wire fence? Or is something more vertical better?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back