2015 Agenda

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have two things I'm wondering about -

1. Is there any plan to have meetups or joint brews or other events this year? I didn't manage to make any of them last year, as my wife seems to have developed an uncanny ability to organise large family events on these days. I can't understand how she does it as she's not a forum member (that I know of) - perhaps 2015 will be better.

2. Bulk buys - one of the things that kills me is the amount of freight/postage required to do all-grain brewing - are there ever any bulk buys organised for the Central Coast?

Something I've been considering is approaching the Six String Brewery to see if they'd on-sell bags of base malts e.g. Maris Otter for close to what they're paying - would anybody else be interested in this?

Cheers,

Rob

> Is there any plan to have meetups or joint brews or other events this year?

I guess not ;)

Have you talked to Country Brewer Toukley about buying grain by the bag ?

I don't have a mill, so I'm not in position to buy (let alone store) a metric ass-load of malt - which is probably 2 sacks (how many sacks can you load an ass with anyway? [1])

Anyone been tasting the club barleywines ?

I've just been too busy to brew anything lately. And all those 1/2 dozen bottles left over from keg-fills have accumulated to the point where I can no longer get to stuff in my cupboard - so I've been slowly drinking & giving away the remanents pile rather than making more.

On the plus side, the 1874 original-recipe IPA I made with > 300 grams of hops (~20 litre batch) is now quite quite OK. But I can't help thinking I should have let it age outside of the fridge, at least for a few weeks. Probably in the back of the car, so it gets agitated a bit to simulate being on a ship to India.

[1] Google says ~ 160kg. That's some ass.
ref: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+much+weight+can+a+donkey+carry

Good idea re: Country Brewer Toukley - I've just emailed Duane asking him if they can help, and I'll report back.

I don't have a mill either - its purchase is entirely dependent on the availability of the malts :D

Cheers!

Hi

I'd be up for a casual get together in the park at Long Jetty some time, maybe pick a day in Feb and whoever can make it, great.

Cheers
Dick

gone brewing said:
Hi

I'd be up for a casual get together in the park at Long Jetty some time, maybe pick a day in Feb and whoever can make it, great.

Cheers
Dick
Count me in.

How about the 7th or 8th of Feb? (might as well start the date conversation).

endisnigh said:
Count me in.

How about the 7th or 8th of Feb? (might as well start the date conversation).
im in... pending other commitments.

Past meetings have been sundays so let's make it the 8th at 3pm. If no objections I will send an email out to everyone who is on the email list.

gone brewing said:
Past meetings have been sundays so let's make it the 8th at 3pm. If no objections I will send an email out to everyone who is on the email list.
No objections here - go for it!

Duane from Country Brewer - Toukley just got back to me with news that means I have to go and buy a grain mill :)

[SIZE=11pt]Hi Rob,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Thanks for the email.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Yes I can supply 25kg bags, Marris Otter would be $80[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]We have a variety of Base malt, mainly Joe White and Barrett Burston, but also Weyermann, Bairds and Thomas Fawcett[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Good idea to call the shop or email to see if its in stock. We tend to go through a fair amount.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]We do bulk buys for our local brew club, but if you can get more than 20 bags I can do one for you.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Basically looking at the same price as Ross, Craftbrewer.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Cheers mate,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Duane Wright[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Country Brewer-Toukley[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]356b Main Rd[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Toukley, NSW, 2263[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt](02) 43 966 887[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt][email protected]mailto:[email protected][/SIZE]

gone brewing said:

I didn't get a mail - am I on the list? :)

Pulled my finger out and sent the email. Did you get it? Also started another topic for the meeting.

we can bring it up at the event,
but I think a winter group brew would be good

there are also a couple of notable beer events on this year including a sydney GABS that we could all travel to.
Things like a six strings catchup, or a bitter and twisted / warners at the bay festival catchup are other events to consider

Hi All, any plan for a group brew? keen to get in on one

Let's make a plan.

How does this work? I've never done a group brew :D Are we all brewing the same single beer, or multiple brews simultaneously or what?

me neither....

I think last time they made a barleywine at country brewer (?) and each took a cube home.

I guess if its only us 2, we could do it on my rig.
I have never tried to do a batch above ~50L tho.

I'm happy to do either.

On my equipment I can do double batches of standard OG beer, but my mash tun capacity is too low (40L) to do a barleywine double batch - but we can pool our resources.

Let's give the others some time to see the post and go from there.

Ive just got a 1V BIAB 80L pot.
Worst case, i pour water through the grain while its hangin' round

But it would be good to see a big system at work.

Latest posts

Back