2014 Western Australian State Amateur Brewers Competition (WASABC) –

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zefrogster

Reaction score
All guys!

Just a quick one to let you know the scheduled date for WASABC 2014;

2014 Western Australian State Amateur Brewers Competition
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Judging: Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 September 2014
Entries closing date: Wednesday 17 September - 5:00pm (see our 3 x Entries Collectiong points on our website; wasabc.org)
Award Night: About a 1week after judging date - Check our website for confirmed date and venue.

For more details, download all relevant Entry forms, Rules, Categories, etc, or to contact us, check the WASABC website: wasabc.org

Good luck to all!

Eric

Should be sampling a couple this evening, see if they have carbed up ok..
If there all good, could have 3 to enter

Coconut n coffee porter
English ale
Spiced cider

Been bad timing but if i can get 1 in even i will be happy..

awesome, just entered an american pale ale and a munich dunkel

Goodluck bro!
:)

im not expecting **** all.. most my brewing kit is packed away, and i still havent got my counter pressure pourer sorted..
Thats why i gotta test tonight and see how they have panned out!

Entries have been pretty low the last couple of years. I'll throw in an APA, Special Bitter and a stout. Anyone else entering?

so the missus is dropping my beers off now...
Kinda changed what i was entering..

1 - spiced still cider
2 - coffee porter
3 - sweet stout
4 - mint port barrel aged stout

be good to get some judging on them and see what i can do to improve..
all kit

It is unfortunately. West Coast Brewers also run 3-4 mini Comps per year.

Do we need to wait for the presentation night on the 1st October for our results or will the be released earlier?

Online Brewing Supplies said:
Fixed it for jyo, no need for feedback now, you can thank me later.
Nev
You wait, Nev. It's haze-free jyo from now on. :)

I think last time brewers were emailed if they had placed.

jyo said:

I think last time brewers were emailed if they had placed.
I guess they r still to send me my email then....

jyo said:
Bookmarking this for future reference and amusement.

Hopefully they are continuing the emailing beforehand system, it is good to encourage people to attend the awards. I spared myself the burden of anticipation this year by not entering anything.

Seen a post that if you placed anywhere you should have a email in the next day or 2..
i think scores to follow at a later date

The 2014 Western Australian State Amateur Brewers Competition (WASABC) judging is over for a another year. And which I had the privilege for the first time to participate as a steward and to see first hand how the judging was conducted over two days. The first thing that hit me was the a mount of entires this year, which is amazing, if you were to look at when it all started back in 2007 with 88 entires ,and with this year competition over 300 entires which is outstanding.

The judging was held again at La Vigna Liquor Walcott Street Menora in the Tasting room down stairs on Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st , The day commenced at 9:30am with judging started at 9:45am The stewards were brief by Head steward Jeff Mcgrath, Jeff is also the 2012 -13 WASABC Champion Brewer and 2012 WASABC Best Beer of Show trophy winner.

All judges there are BJCP certified with a couple of apprentices I was lucky enough to be the steward of a judging table with respected judges and multi awards and Trophy's winners Asher Mitchell, Jeremy Sambrooks and WCB President Sean Johnson. The Steward job was to selecting beers, cider, meads from the running sheet to be judged and moving to the judging table and pour for the judges.

The quality of the beers, ciders and meads in this years Competition to me were outstanding, this go's to show that the Home brewing in Western Australia is gaining in popularity and with fresher ingredients available to the public along with ready information via Home brew shops, Clubs, books and youtube I can see why the standard has lifted.

Day two was pretty much the same, On my table the meads were first up in the judging for the day.
This is the second year in a row that the WASABC has included meads in the judging under BJCP Style guidelines. Last year there was four entires this year eleven. Some meads were truly amazing. And is evident it's is going to be a growing trend so much so The Australian Amateur Brewing Championships (AABC) has included meads for the first time into this years competition.

After lunch all 20 category's had be judged along with a clear 1st 2nd and 3rd placing being recorded from each category. The next phase was Best Of Show with all head judges gathered around one table to judge the best beer, cider or mead of the show, it had a clam and in depth discussion that went on close to one hour when the judgement had been made.

This was a truly amazing two days show casing the best Amateur brewers that Western Australia has to offer. As a Amateur brewer myself this was a huge educational experience and a lot of work is cut out for me to get to the standard of my fellow peers.

2014 WASABC Award Night will be held at The Print Hall Bob's Bar, Brookfield Place, 125 St George's Terrace, Perth, Wednesday 1 October- 6:30pm onward.

All 1st 2nd and 3rd placing in the WASABC will earn them the right to enter the AABC which will be held in Canberra 16th October 2014.

A big thank you should go to West Coast Brewers and the sponsors The Monk Brewery, Gage Roads Brewing Co, Print Hall Bob's Bar, Mangrove Jacks, Cryer Malt, T.W.O.C, Brew Mart, La Vigna, Malt House, Little Creatures and Artisan on making this Competition possible.

nvs-brews said:
i was there... you win anything?
placed 3rd in amber/dark lagers. scores of 39/40/42. Pretty stoked with the scores. The 1st and 2nd place getters must have had some cracking beer

shit yeah, them some good scores..
looking forward to seeing the placings...
keep goign to the web page but nothing!
CMON!!

yep, waiting on the results sheet also. There must be a gold in the amber/dark lager category I think. Pretty damn good considering golds seem to be pretty few and far between

Latest posts

Back