2014 Vic Xmas in July case swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's getting a little late for me to get a brew on for this swap, so I don't think I should be relied upon as a reserve.
Make it a good one!

1. Yob - APA
2. Mardoo - Two Takes on Three Cascades
3. Idzy - California Common Steam Ale
4. Technobabble66 - probably a Fat Yak style PA done w kolsch yeast.
5. GrumpyPaul - "Grumpy's Scottish Litter" (Scottish 80 to be aged on bourbon soaked oak)
6. Grainer - Robust Porter.. plus some top up of something else..not enough bottles as it is going in a comp
7. Brouhaha
8. Relaxed brewer
9. MartinOC
10. Midnight Brew
11. Wolfman (tentative)
12. zeggie
13. Damn - Probably an IPA\
14. DJ_L3ThAL - probably my Chestnut Pilsner
15. Camo6 - apa/ipa
16. micbrew
17. Warmbeer
18. JB
19. ro55c0 - Rye IPA
20. Whiteferret
21. AJ80 - chocolate vanilla stout
22. Breakbeer
23. Black n Tan- "The Witches Cauldron" American Imperial Red Ale (partial stein beer)
24. syl

Reserves:
1. Woostyle

Non-Swap Attendees
1. Nullnvoid
2. Cocko - Will bring a keg of some beer. Probably the best beer you have EVER tasted. :lol: .. ever.
3. New_Guy - will make some slow roast pulled pork taco's
4. CarpeDaym

Cubes/Brewers
1. Technobabble - 20L
2. Grainer 20L
3. Mardoo 20L
4. MartinOC 20L
5. Idzy 20L
6. Damn 20L
7. DJ_L3ThAL 20L
8. Yob 20L
9. JB 20L
10. Micbrew 20L
11. ro55c0 20L
12. Whiteferret 20L if enough can be brewed.
13. AJ80 20L, but understand am at the bottom of a looooooong list
14. RelaxedBrewer 20L
15. Breakbeer 20L
16. Midnight Brew 20L
17. Grumpy Paul 20L

Total: 340 litres

Okay, in terms of the brew system: MidnightBrew and Idzy, have you guys talked about the height of the stand Idzy's building? I was around MB's the other night and his super burner is a tall sucker. The burner in Idzy's photo of the preliminary build is also a tall sucker, but are they equally tall suckers?

That could be the major hitch we've been looking for - burner doesn't fit under the pot.

I too am nervous about equipment, it's the one loose thread and unknown we have... Also the most important...

A lot of us are getting to that age where we're nervous about our equipment...

Did you ever source the 5m silicone hose (if I remember correctly) for transfer to the kettle? I could grab some and provide that.

Not as yet no, Ive got a trip to KK coming up in the next 3 weeks or so, if you end up grabbing it before, let me know

:icon_cheers:

Burner measurements.

Mother of Rambo (haha I love saying that)
W = 460mm
L = 535mm
H = 425mm

Have managed to negotiate a leave pass for the evening so have added myself to the non-swap attendees. Should be a blast :beerbang:

1. Yob - APA
5. GrumpyPaul - "Grumpy's Scottish Litter" (Scottish 80 to be aged on bourbon soaked oak)
6. Grainer - Robust Porter.. plus some top up of something else..not enough bottles as it is going in a comp
7. Brouhaha
8. Relaxed brewer
9. MartinOC
10. Midnight Brew
11. Wolfman (tentative)
12. zeggie
15. Camo6 - apa/ipa
16. micbrew
17. Warmbeer
18. JB
19. ro55c0 - Rye IPA
20. Whiteferret
22. Breakbeer
23. Black n Tan- "The Witches Cauldron" American Imperial Red Ale (partial stein beer)
24. syl

Reserves:
1. Woostyle

Non-Swap Attendees
1. Nullnvoid
2. Cocko - Will bring a keg of some beer. Probably the best beer you have EVER tasted. :lol: .. ever.
4. CarpeDaym
5. peaky

Cubes/Brewers
1. Technobabble - 20L
2. Grainer 20L
3. Mardoo 20L
4. MartinOC 20L
5. Idzy 20L
6. Damn 20L
7. DJ_L3ThAL 20L
8. Yob 20L
9. JB 20L
10. Micbrew 20L
11. ro55c0 20L
14. RelaxedBrewer 20L
15. Breakbeer 20L
16. Midnight Brew 20L
17. Grumpy Paul 20L

Swap beer bottled. I hate bottling.

1. Yob - APA
7. Brouhaha
8. Relaxed brewer
9. MartinOC
10. Midnight Brew
11. Wolfman (tentative)
12. zeggie
15. Camo6 - Rye AIPA
16. micbrew
17. Warmbeer
18. JB
19. ro55c0 - Rye IPA
20. Whiteferret
22. Breakbeer
24. syl

Reserves:
1. Woostyle

Non-Swap Attendees
1. Nullnvoid
4. CarpeDaym
5. peaky

Cubes/Brewers
1. Technobabble - 20L
2. Grainer 20L
3. Mardoo 20L
4. MartinOC 20L
5. Idzy 20L
6. Damn 20L
7. DJ_L3ThAL 20L
8. Yob 20L
9. JB 20L
10. Micbrew 20L
11. ro55c0 20L
14. RelaxedBrewer 20L
15. Breakbeer 20L
16. Midnight Brew 20L
17. Grumpy Paul 20L

Gents, a question on case-swap protocol:

I've produced an Aussie Ale for the case swap, but it's just not up to my standards (too sweet/crystally & undercarb'd) & I'm not happy with it. I wouldn't put it into a Comp., & wouldn't serve it to anyone right now.

I've got an OG 1065 Porter on the go that needs to be bottled, but that means it won't be drinkable for several months. Either way, the current temperatures are against bottle carbonation.

Alternatively, I could knock-out a simple Pale Ale that might be drinkable in 6 weeks.

What's the expectation/protocol with the swap beers?

A known date to open is totally acceptable, there have been entries bottled the day of swap previously.. Either way is fine mate

Whew! Thanks Yob. A reprieve from the "immediate drinkability" I was expecting.

If that's the case, I'll dry-hop the bejeezus out of the Porter & bottle it in about a week.

Haha I was worried as I bottled mine few weeks back with stickers stating to lager at fridge temps for a few months!

Sorry guys going to have to pull the pin on this. My batch has been sitting in the fridge not bottled for months. Can't say it's going to be a beer I'm happy with. Woostyle I've updated you to my spot. Hope you have time to brew a beer.

Sorry lads.

1. Yob - APA
7. Brouhaha
8. Relaxed brewer
9. MartinOC
10. Midnight Brew
11. Woostyle
12. zeggie
15. Camo6 - Rye AIPA
16. micbrew
17. Warmbeer
18. JB
19. ro55c0 - Rye IPA
20. Whiteferret
22. Breakbeer
24. syl

Reserves:

Non-Swap Attendees
1. Nullnvoid
2. Cocko - Will bring a keg of some beer. Probably the best beer you have EVER tasted. .. ever.
4. CarpeDaym
5. peaky

Cubes/Brewers
1. Technobabble - 20L
2. Grainer 20L
3. Mardoo 20L
4. MartinOC 20L
5. Idzy 20L
6. Damn 20L
7. DJ_L3ThAL 20L
8. Yob 20L
9. JB 20L
10. Micbrew 20L
11. ro55c0 20L
14. RelaxedBrewer 20L
15. Breakbeer 20L
16. Midnight Brew 20L
17. Grumpy Paul 20L

Very slow mate. Although we do have walls and a ceiling in the lounge so a tad warmer. Just gotta keep chipping away at it.

Just keeping up with demand in the brewing side if things though.

1. Yob - APA

8. Relaxed brewer
9. MartinOC
10. Midnight Brew
11. Woostyle
12. zeggie
15. Camo6 - Rye AIPA
16. micbrew
17. Warmbeer
18. JB
19. ro55c0 - Rye IPA
20. Whiteferret
22. Breakbeer
24. syl

Reserves:

Non-Swap Attendees
1. Nullnvoid
2. Cocko - Will bring a keg of some beer. Probably the best beer you have EVER tasted. .. ever.
4. CarpeDaym
5. peaky

Cubes/Brewers
1. Technobabble - 20L
2. Grainer 20L
3. Mardoo 20L
4. MartinOC 20L
5. Idzy 20L
6. Damn 20L
7. DJ_L3ThAL 20L
8. Yob 20L
9. JB 20L
10. Micbrew 20L
11. ro55c0 20L
14. RelaxedBrewer 20L
15. Breakbeer 20L
16. Midnight Brew 20L
17. Grumpy Paul 20L

I'm getting nervous about some equipment I bought. It's estimated to arrive before the 7th July which is really pushing my time frame to get the fermentation fridge finished. It leaves me about a week and a half to build it and ferment. Im not pulling out, just a drinking date will be several weeks after the swap. Worst comes to worst I do have a mixed batch of foreign extra stout (same batch two different yeasts) that will be about 8 months old come swap day. It would benefit from longer but can assess the situation when the beer is fermenting. Not entirely sure if I will still be able to fit a second brew into it for kegging.

Wow, how the f* have I've missed this thread? Yob's just a suburb up from me... will need to start following the events forum.

Anyway - I'm keen (leave pass pending...).

Obviously I'm pretty late to this, so what's the deal? In the event that I make it to the swap list, I've got a double batch I'm bottling this weekend, but I'm more than happy just to bring a few along to share or get some feedback on. Might still even have some of my first AG I did a month or so back.

Mine is (just) a basic APA: extract (70% barley, 18% wheat) & crystal (12% of various, plus a handful of RB at the end for colour) used to showcase Citra, as I'd never used it before. It's tastes pretty amazing already, but it's certainly nothing as fancy as what's on the list already.

Also, do we throw some money in for food, or just pick up the notes around Cocko? :p (From what I've seen on this thread, you've got bad rep at meet-ups mate!)

Mick

Place 7 is available Mick. Take the plunge and commit buddy. Get that leave pass happening :)

Back