2014 Vic Xmas Caseswap TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20. djroo7 STEAM BEER.
beautiful copper colour, nice aroma. light on the hop aroma, but a nice lingering bitterness and great dry lager style.
Smashed this bottle this evening and wished i had a second one!

great work mate!

g

So far I've had;

Grainer - Melandolin Induced Munich Dunkel ; Nice crisp beer with a nice amount of roastyness, carbonation bang on and a good beer.

Brewnut - Fruity Hopped Saison with Brett ; Found this to be a touch light (4.4%?) for a Saison and possibly needed just a little bit higher carbonation. Did enjoy it however ,hop aroma was subtle and gave it a nice touch. Very smashable.

Damn - Golden Ale ; Brewed as per the doc's orders and tasted as so. I'm sure almost everybody here is familiar with DSGA. Talking with damn at the swap had already given me enthusiasm to brew this again and I did so the day before trying this. Looking forward to having this on tap in a few weeks -Thanks damn

6. Siborg - Milk Stout ; Smooth beer which definitely gets better after a short while in the glass. Let it warm up a bit and enjoy the malt. Unsure on AVB thinking mid 4's??

Really enjoying pulling a bottle out and almost having a lucky dip :beer:

Grainer - The "I can't believe you thought it had Melandolin" dunkel: Up front... Big black and roasty, carbed high, mellow choc finish. Are you sure there's no RB in there?

BTW... My 13a might be a good candidate to drink early. Defo no bottle bomb, but I left the bottle on the counter after pouring a glass and it just kept foaming up and out the bottle. Bit weird, 'cos (without being too defensive) I don't think it's over carbed. Still, better safe than sorry.

Nope - had a couple like that now.

There's quite a bit of particulate matter (dry hops debris) in there... but about the only thing different to normal.

That particulate matter is a definite culprit.

I should have said 'among the last ones'.

Seems like I'm (unintentionally) coping tahoose's drinking efforts:

Two awesome beers - hat's off to you guys...

Brewnut - Fruity Hopped Saison with Brett - One of the threads a while ago mentioned the noobies going saison silly (not referring to Brewnut as a n00b btw). Well, I fully intend to follow through on that observation. Delicious, slightly tart with a sneaky hint of hops hiding behind the sour. I haven't yet bought a commercial sample of a saison, but this is everything I had hoped it to be and more. Can't wait to brew one. Carb'd perfectly for me.

Damn - Golden Ale - I've just restocked the Amarillo for two reasons. The premier brew on my electric panel - The Electric Pale Ale, and for *this*. Cheers for benchmark - wifey has expectations now :angry:.... :p. Can't wait to do a DSGA though

Still finishing off the saison atm... leaving a long lasting grapefruit/bitter lemon type astringency.

My Red IPA is ready to drink NOW.

I am trying a bottle of mine right now and its carbed up nicely.

And if I do say so myself tastes great.

23. poggor Dr Pratt's Wit's End
Cracked this on the weekend with some spicy mexican food. Went down an absolute treat! Perfect example of the style. I thought the phenols were appropriately balanced, a nice little hint of bitterness (which helped cool the heat from the mexican) and the right amount of carb. Only problem is I don't have another!

I'll chip in with a few notes from yesterday:

2. Grainer - Munich Dunkel - DRINKING LAST WEEK.. BEEN READY FOR AGES

Nice malt roasty aromas, hint of choc. Deep brown in colour, with red tint, light tan head. Nice rich malty flavours, slight hints of caramel, choc nuttiness, medium body, great smooth flavour, very easy to drink. Only criticism is there is not enough cleavage on the Fraulein on the label.

8. Damn - Golden Ale or APA DRINKING NOW

Light malt aroma, nice golden colour, great head, nicely carbed. Light malt aroma, light malty sweetness flavour, very smooth balance, very nice easy drinker, cheers Damn!

10. Mayor of Mildura - IPA Drink After 3/12

Uggg, had a hell of a time trying to open this one. Had to get the big guns involved & get wifey to open it (note to self, omit that bit before posting) ... anyway ... aroma, appearance & flavour are ******* perfect! Big hops = big happiness in my book. The perfect example of the mega hopped AIPA style! Thank you Mr Mayor.

JB said:
10. Mayor of Mildura - IPA Drink After 3/12

Uggg, had a hell of a time trying to open this one. Had to get the big guns involved & get wifey to open it (note to self, omit that bit before posting) ... anyway ... aroma, appearance & flavour are ******* perfect! Big hops = big happiness in my book. The perfect example of the mega hopped AIPA style! Thank you Mr Mayor.
I really enjoyed this beer last night with some savoury snacks. Went down a treat. Sorry I couldnt be more descriptive but I didnt take any notes. Also got the big guns involved in opening the bottle. Well sealed. Cheers mate.

JB said:
8. Damn - Golden Ale or APA DRINKING NOW

Light malt aroma, nice golden colour, great head, nicely carbed. Light malt aroma, light malty sweetness flavour, very smooth balance, very nice easy drinker, cheers Damn!
To add to JB's post - drank this over the weekend and it was a very enjoyable, malt driven beer. Carb was absolutely spot on. Well brewed and an easy drinker Damn. Cheers.

No 5. Tahoose Rye IPA

Mate I can't get enough of this beer. It's big, malty and hoppy. I get this nice little sting of bitterness on the back that balances well with the sweetness on the front.

What's the percentage on rye? In fact what is the recipe?
I get this wonderful slickness from it that I love. The malt has a really forward character that plays so well with how you have bittered this.

Enough babbling on. Great beer Mitch. Cheers

I'll post the full recipe when I get home but basically the rye was 13% and the bittering was 52 ibu's of vic secret as a first wort hop.

Cheers

GrumpyPaul said:
14. GrumpyPaul - Red IPA- bottled 25/11 - DRINK IT NOW.

Did I say mine is ready?
Red. Clear. Rocky head. Melon flavour. Firm bitterness. Tops.

paul.jpg

Back