2014 Vic Christmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GrumpyPaul said:
If it all gets too complicated, (if never did get Marx Brother's humour let alone their theorums) you could just get a shitload of snags and bread and anyone standing around not looking busy gets to man the bbq.

It would be just like hanging outside Bunnings - but with beer.
Don't you stand outside of burnings drinking home brew and eating the sausages? Can't just be me :)

Little off topic, but somehow those sausages are always great, and I can't work out why.

I bet you clean your BBQ.

Those sausages at bunnings are cooking in 300 weekends worth of sausage fat. :)

Tahoose said:
I bet you clean your BBQ.

Those sausages at bunnings are cooking in 300 weekends worth of sausage fat. :)
Sounds like you have solved the mystery :)

300 weekends of sausage fat....sounds delicious!

Well, Gents, we need to get this organised, but let's keep it simple.

I've just produced a mega-pot of hot BBQ sauce from stuff I had laying-around, so that's a given (don't ask for a recipe, I wouldn't have a schmick what I did, 'though I'll try to write something down...).

Anyone else, feel free to produce sauces of their own magnitude of magnificence & bring them along on the day.

Meat: Beef/pork/lamb/chook spit? Combo? Snags? Consensus?

If I remember, Mardoo sourced some magnificent pre-marinaded Gyros lamb by mistake last time that was a definite winner. Later in the night, the leftovers got chucked on a grill over the brazier & Small-Fry took over tong-duty to good effect.

Salads: Someone to purchase bits, but we'll need hands-on & utensils to cut stuff up.

Bread: Who's got a local bakery & can provide a shedload of rolls etc?

BBQ Facilities? Anyone local to Idzy (FTG) able to provide a gas-fired hooded BBQ with spit-turner capability (I can provide the "turning" bits)? I'd provide everything myself, but I'm already bringing a (SAFE!) brazier & wood for the obligatory fire & won't have space in the trailer. After the spit is done, the BBQ can be used for other things later in the night.

EDIT: I'm happy to coordinate, but I need a TEAM of committed piss-heads to deliver!

I can provide the big spit that was used at the last one if that is of any help.

Seemed to hold enough meat for everyone.

Nullnvoid said:
I can provide the big spit that was used at the last one if that is of any help.

Seemed to hold enough meat for everyone.
SOLD!!!!

Volunteers for the other bits??

Hi guys, my missus makes a pretty mean coleslaw so I could bring a big batch of that along, I can also bring stuff to make a big mix salad as well. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

AndrewF, thanks. If you can provide coleslaw & salad for everyone, that'd be great. Don't forget to keep receipts for the bits so you can be reimbursed.

OK, who's up for sourcing the dead animal flesh for the spit roast & rolls to hold everything?

Probably a good idea to get some dips & crackers, crisps etc. for ongoing grazing during the day too. Volunteers?

I've a vego, so don't count me as a number when looking at meat. I'll bring myself some veg mains but happy to chip in for salads and sundries.

I did the hummus and french onion dips last time, happy to do whip those up again. I think I have a salsa recipe somewhere. (Will bring suitable chips/crackers too.)

I'll bring a substantial grain salad for the vego folks. Don't worry, even us meatos will like it.

I can't front for the meat ATM due to cash flow. I got it last time from Limnos Greek butcher in Clayton. Their number is 9568 8522,
34 Portman St, Oakleigh, VIC 3166, just by the railway station and market. It was the marinated pork gyros meat they sell.

If someone can front for a primal cut pork leg and shoulder I can break it down and marinate it. It'd be cheaper and better (read: more garlic ;) ) I would need it by November 21 if I were to do that. I could also go Mexican instead of Greek.

OK, the food story so far:

Nullnvoid: Spit roaster (I'm assuming fuel too?)

Yob: Ribs (I'll leave the marination to you, good Sir!).

AndrewF: Coleslaw & salads.

Carpedaym: Dips & crackers.

Mardoo: Grain-based salady thinggie (are we to eat it, or mash it???).

What we need now is someone local to Mardoo (in the FTG area) to stump-up for the meat & deliver to him for break-down & marination by the 21st. Probably only a couplea legs of lamb (apologies for the assumption, but it was a winner last time). Melbourne Brewers, I'm talking to you guys here!!

If everyone also brings along some "grazing" nibblies as well, we're set to go.

Edit: Anyone got a grate that would fit over the top of an old washing machine tub (ie. the fire brazier) for later-in-the-night cookage action??

My son had a spit fairly regularly. He recommends Terrys butcher in Brice av. Mooroolbark. Said his last marinated chicken was just over $100pm for 10 kg.
Not sure how that compares price wise. But definitely closer.

I'm happy to front some cash for spit. But my transport options are limited so I won't offer to pick up.

Mardoo I can give you some cash at the next club night if you want

MartinOC said:
OK, the food story so far:

Nullnvoid: Spit roaster (I'm assuming fuel too?)

Yob: Ribs (I'll leave the marination to you, good Sir!).

AndrewF: Coleslaw & salads.

Carpedaym: Dips & crackers.

Mardoo: Grain-based salady thinggie (are we to eat it, or mash it???).

What we need now is someone local to Mardoo (in the FTG area) to stump-up for the meat & deliver to him for break-down & marination by the 21st. Probably only a couplea legs of lamb (apologies for the assumption, but it was a winner last time). Melbourne Brewers, I'm talking to you guys here!!

If everyone also brings along some "grazing" nibblies as well, we're set to go.

Edit: Anyone got a grate that would fit over the top of an old washing machine tub (ie. the fire brazier) for later-in-the-night cookage action??
I can bring the fuel as well and it can just be added to the cost of everything to be split.

There is a grate that goes over the coals. At a stretch that can be used for after hours cooking but the bare might be spaced too far apart.

Nullnvoid: Great, your contribution will be reimbursed (of course!). Thanks.

To everyone else, I need COMMITTMENT, not advice or suggestions for sourcing.

Gents, for this to work, it needs people to say "Yes, I'll do this" & follow-through with their promise (however small that may be).

So! Where are we at?

Guys the price for the Chicken Grumpy mentioned in post #175 is pretty damn good for marinated. If we get primal cuts and I break them down and marinate we'll get to about $8 a kilo. There's a Chinese butcher in Box Hill Market who does whole pork legs and shoulders for about that price.

Last swap we had two legs of lamb and 10 kilos of boneless pork. I don't think two legs of lamb alone will be enough.

If I do the pork I can kick in some $$, just not all of it. Let me do a run round that butcher to check prices and I can come up with a total figure.

Mardoo said:
Guys the price for the Chicken Grumpy mentioned in post #175 is pretty damn good for marinated. If we get primal cuts and I break them down and marinate we'll get to about $8 a kilo. There's a Chinese butcher in Box Hill Market who does whole pork legs and shoulders for about that price.

Last swap we had two legs of lamb and 10 kilos of boneless pork. I don't think two legs of lamb alone will be enough.

If I do the pork I can kick in some $$, just not all of it. Let me do a run round that butcher to check prices and I can come up with a total figure.
I can front some money for the meat and deliver it to you Mardoo if we go the Mooroolbark route, I never get over Clayton way but if we go that route maybe someone else could fit it in. 21st is a Friday and I can get it to you before then. Consider me committed.

I can pitch in some cash on the day.. when is it by the way?

Latest posts

Back