2013, What Will Be Your Theme/project/experiments?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
Next year i plan on ( roughly ) doing the following.

1.) Brew a nice dry hoppy UK pale ale. I mostly do mild ales, and whenever i do an ESB or pale ale i seem to add too much spec malts, and im never super happy with them, so next year i plan on brewing a decent hoppy,dry UK pale ale. Got lots of first gold so i'll use it!

2.) Milk stout/porter. I plan on trying some lactose too, more than likely in a stout, but maybe a porter too if i like the results. Maybe even in a mild.

3.) Brew more hefe's. Been researching hefe's pretty thoroughly, and have got the 3 step mash down in my esky tun, so hope to brew some more of those.

4.) More strong beers. I do a few a year, usually american IIPA, but i want to try to brew a reasonable belgian golden/strong ale. My recent effort, is, well, underwhelming!. My 7% brown ale ( result of a miscalculation ) is bloody nice though, need to repeat somehow.

I think that'll keep me busy enough. I was going to add "brew more mild", but that's gunna happen anyway haha.

What about the rest of you'se?

1) A few sours. Hopefully i can do 3 a year to get some serious blending potential/vintages happening. Brewing a supplication inspired sour over xmas. http://russianriverbrewing.com/brews/supplication/
2) Fine tune the brewhouse repeatability now that i have my HERMS complete.
3) No bad (average) beer. Lifes too short for bad beer. No compromises on starter sizes, yeast viability, pitching temps or rushing batches from primary to serving. Had a couple of disappointing batches this year due to a combination of those listed. Never again.

Now that I have built this;

photo__6_.JPG

I want to keep it full !

Planning on having 3 house favourites most of the time (Tonys LCBA, an APA and a Bo Pils) and rotating the other 3 with seasonals and a Belgian. TTL clone, a stout in winter, Leffe Blonde clone and a few of my own recipes are bound to flow in 2013. :beer:

Need to plan brewing for the season better.

1. Fininsh the 3v bewery off & get some hours up on it, fine tuning and the likes.

2. Look at a rims/herms system with pid control.

3. Get a house beer down pat & spend the money normally spent on everyday commercial beer on "researching" which beers are my favorites so i can have a go at brewing them myself.

4. Do a brewing course or try and learn from others @ brew days.

Mine is to finish the HERMS setup I have bought everything for, but havent got around to wiring/plumbing as of yet.

Made some upgrades to the HLT, and set up brown pumps over the weekend, with a keg mash tun and HERMS pot the next two upgrades which should finish everything.

As per brewing goals, consistency will be my primary focus. I wasn't happy enough with some of the brews I was producing, and will be hoping that the brewery upgrades will help pinpoint my downfalls...

i get a 50L braumiester in january, need to add 2 more taps to my chesty and then like mckenry, try and keep it full.

1) I'd like to get a chesty2) hook up my current fridge to make it a fermenting fridge3) make a big beer 6.5%+4) have a collaboration brew day5) enter a competition

Just bought all the gear for a stir plate, so gonna try a massive starter for a cascade pils. Yeah a cascade pils. Other than that, I'll most likely be busy with a new baby (due today).

Oh, and tasting my Xmas lotto beers.

1) Improve consistency
1.a) Finish 3V Rig

2) Choose and lock down a house beer

3) Nail milds

4) Enter a competition

5) Join a brew club

6) Add myself to the liver transplant waiting list :ph34r:

Well I've got my Bacon ESB racked onto the grilled bacon as of yesterday
So i guess i'll be refining the recipe until i get that perfect (next batch will be done with candied bacon)
more and more people from work are trying my beers and loving them and wanting them to drink at home, so i'm thinking about maybe doing some fresh wort kits to make some extra cash to pay for further brewing experiments
I intend on acquiring a grain mill so i can buy in bulk and save on shipping/have grains on hand for brewing whenever i want (living halfway between MHB and craftbrewer sucks)
and start brewing a whole lot more!

1) Enter a comp for some 'reality check' feedback.

2) Meet more Perth brewers.

3) Man up and do a double batch.

Cheers,
D80

Going to jump into step mashing in my BIAB pot and liquid yeasts in the hope i can crank out a nice belgian golden strong. Have got a 40L crab pot with an insert that i put some stand off bolts in the bottom of, so that i can apply heat directly without scorching the bag/grains.

Just need to throw together a DIY stir plate over the holiday period and find a good recipe and im ready to go.

1) Moving my brewing area from the garage to the patio overlooking the back yard

2) Chill every beer

3) start brewing milds and other low alcohol beers

4) make sure there are always a soda water and two decent beers on the kegerator in the kitchen

5) reinstate the kegerator in the garage

6) Don't enter any comps anymore.

1. begin my electric brewery HERMS build

2. join a brew club

3. keep experimenting with my home grown cascade

1. Brew new recipes & styles - I realised I spent this year mainly rebrewing favourite recipes.
2. man up and use my homegrown perle hops
3. convince SWMBO we need to upgrade the kitchen fridge ;)
4. build a portable/collapsable bar setup for the backyard.

Master yeast. I have a taste that I get in every beer and while I don't mind it once it is pointed out I cant wait to get through the beer.

Also want to get my special project beer down and fermented succesfully (for a barleywine.)

Makes beers that go outside the Pale Ale zone. Not too keen on English anything but Milds and the like may need to be given a fair crack at least.
Oh yeah and since I have temp control the grand Pilsner will need to be attempted also.

1) I wanted it finished by the end of this year, but it looks like maybe by the start of next year to finish building my Herm-it rig.
2) Have a house Mild/Bitter on tap
3) Master a decent Kolsch (SWMBO favourite - she's downing Wahoo like there's no tomorrow)
4) as per 1; HERM-IT double batches
5) Get married
6) Get the old Metter's Stove cranking in the bar (come winter)

1. Continue my recent good practice of HERMS wort production, fully temp controlled fermentation and proper yeast care/pitching rates.

2. Enter as many beers into as many comps as I can.

3. Brew more sours, I have three going at the moment but may get my hands on a barrel soon so need 200+ litres of beer to go into it with plenty of lovely Roeselare.

Back