2013 Melb Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn said:
6. Idzy - Galaxy PA. Easy drinking Pacific Ale. Needs another 4 weeks aging. Bloody tasty though.

26. (Yobs) This is very similar to G&G fresh wort Artisan Ale Type I. Closest commercial is a Coopers Pale ale but superior. Very good aussie pale ale imo.

Ha or Hm(Yobs) American Brown. Coming around to browns and this brings me a little closer. Still getting used to the brown. But chisel away at these all day.

31. (Yobs) This is like a cross between an Aussie & American Pale Ale. Love it. This is very good. On another taste its more aussie than yank. This my favorite so far.
The HA is a heather ale I did about a year ago, but turned into more of a heather brown/porter due to a recipe malfunction...

;)

Did anyone else have tasting notes / constructive criticism for my Galaxy Pale?

Cheers,
Idzy

Hey Idzy
Happy new year!

Just before xmas I had one of the beers passed over to me, that i wrote a few notes on.
It had "17" on it. Unfortunately that makes it Midnight Brew's ;)

17 - Midnight Brew - Little Red Ale

Appearance -
Dark reddy brown - fantastic depth of colour with that reddish hue. Carbonation rather light, though i couldn't guarantee it's not my glass.

Aroma - Nice tropical/citrusy fruity aroma, with a mild caramel malt undertone.

Taste - Really interesting flavour (in a good way) - similar to the aroma, it's got a slightly lighter fruity flavour, with a significant caramel malt flavour with a tiny darker roastier/toastier element to it. Nice moderate bitterness, quite clean. Unfortunately rather low on carbonation - in hindsight, this was opened a week early, i think, hence the carbonation is a bit low - doh! My bad!. Mild hoppy aftertaste - big tick. Unfortunately the mouthfeel is a fraction thinner than i'd prefer - is it a low temp mash? I'm guessing if the carbonation was a bit higher it might've balanced this.

Overall - I actually really like this - it's got a good hit of both the hops & the malt, where the malt has a few elements coming through. I'd definitely like to see the recipe of this (especially with a bit more carbonation/body it would be a brilliant beer) - exactly how i like them. [Also curious as to the hops used].

Big Thanks to Midnight Brew for sharing this.

Back from my holiday down the cost. Just put a few of the swap beers in the fridge, will put some tasting notes up later.

An update on the the piney elder and junior.
Just put in the 2nd round of hops in the elder and starting the cold crash.
Tasted, the junior and it is very bitter and not much hop flavour. Decided to do a french press with cascade and simcoe to try to add a little hop flavour. I am now dry hopping it with simcoe, cascade and what ever those hops were that I was handed as grainer was leaving (columbus I think).
I am considering steeping a little crystal and adding it to balance the bitterness, still not sure though.

Hmm..If your doing that I wonder if my fermentation has stalled?????? Elder is still at 1.022 and junior at 1.011

Decided to add second addition of hops plus some amarillo..... keg in 5 days.. shoat hope I'm doing this right !!

technobabble66 said:
Hey Idzy
Happy new year!

Just before xmas I had one of the beers passed over to me, that i wrote a few notes on.
It had "17" on it. Unfortunately that makes it Midnight Brew's ;)

17 - Midnight Brew - Little Red Ale

Appearance -
Dark reddy brown - fantastic depth of colour with that reddish hue. Carbonation rather light, though i couldn't guarantee it's not my glass.

Aroma - Nice tropical/citrusy fruity aroma, with a mild caramel malt undertone.

Taste - Really interesting flavour (in a good way) - similar to the aroma, it's got a slightly lighter fruity flavour, with a significant caramel malt flavour with a tiny darker roastier/toastier element to it. Nice moderate bitterness, quite clean. Unfortunately rather low on carbonation - in hindsight, this was opened a week early, i think, hence the carbonation is a bit low - doh! My bad!. Mild hoppy aftertaste - big tick. Unfortunately the mouthfeel is a fraction thinner than i'd prefer - is it a low temp mash? I'm guessing if the carbonation was a bit higher it might've balanced this.

Overall - I actually really like this - it's got a good hit of both the hops & the malt, where the malt has a few elements coming through. I'd definitely like to see the recipe of this (especially with a bit more carbonation/body it would be a brilliant beer) - exactly how i like them. [Also curious as to the hops used].

Big Thanks to Midnight Brew for sharing this.
Thanks for the feedback and glad you enjoyed it. I carbed it lower because I like them that way just depends if you want it more english or amercian.

The hop combo worked really well being an amber ale, got the best of both worlds.

15. Little Red Ale
44L Rogers/Smurto inspired and/or the mild mashing regime (manticle) has been on the cards for awhile

50% JW Munich
30% JW Ale
10% JW Wheat
10% WEY Caraaroma
Temp 70/72/78
Time 30/10/Raise Bag
FWH Northdown and Citra to 17IBU
20min Northdown and Citra to 13.5 IBU (Cube hopped)
1.5g/l of both Northdown and Citra dry hop
Wy Greenbelt (two cubes so maybe another yeast)

3.7%
30.5 IBU
32 EBC

I'll be making this again in Autumn but this time I'll add 0.5% chocolate malt. Then I'm tempted to go 2x split cubes so bitter with magnum then split one to northdown for flavour and dry hop (if needed, might go english on this one) and one something american. For me the bitterness was spot on and complemented the body well but I see where you're coming from with carbonation which is a preference thing for me. I can already see this beer is going to constantly evolve as a house beer, switching up hop varieties and yeast selection.

Both kegged and bottled.. Yob if you still want to taste the junior let me know

Hey Grainer,

I'd love a big taste.....what are my chances?
Where abouts are you.

Damn.

Grainer said:
Both kegged and bottled.. Yob if you still want to taste the junior let me know
Hell yeah I do mate.. My elder is the next to get fermented... er.. In a few weeks ;)

Elders ******* child gone nearly gone.. still have a bottle aside for the YOBBO tho..

Just downed what was capped "BLACKI". Very nice beer. I am not going to pretend to be a tasting expert and add notes, apart from nice dark beer with toasty caramel notes, but also quite prominant hops. Very interesting combo and enjoyed it.

Cheers,
Idzy

Just popped the top on one with like a crown sort of cap on it, has a very weird funky smell... smells very odd, not going to risk it. May have left this one too long, apologies if anyone is offended.

Just popped an 'AW'. Very nice indeed. Nice and refreshing. Light with subtle hop flavour. Very drinkable and yummy. Does have a slight alcoholic nose, which is scary because it goes down amazing. Would be awesome to have a 6 pack of these by the pool. Or a bronco tap with 10m hose for that matter.

Well I just cracked my first longneck of Pilney the Elder. F%#$#k what a beer! Had it at 12pm, screwed my palet for anything else but I'd be off my face if I had anymore. I just installed security to protect the rest of the batch. Can't really have too many more than 1 longneck for me, its like fine wine. I'm ready to say that's the best homebrew to hit my cellar. Magnificent brew fella's. Thank you very much. Wish I could of participated more in that brew.

a little belated on my part but Ive just piched my Elder :blink:

I has a pack of 1217 in the fridge I'd been meaning to use and put that onto a Cascade Mosaic all cube hopped IPA last week, on Sunday I racked it off, quickly rinsed a jar of yeast (very roughly) and pitched into the Elder, 24 hours and it's blown it's top and is currently spewing yeast throughout the fridge :lol:

If I had a bit more time, i'd have fitted a blow off, maybe tonight after the pub ;)

HFS... 1068 Sunday, 1020 today, better dry hop this beast, what was others finishing gravity?

Quite impressed with a 3 day ferment :)

idzy said:
Just popped the top on one with like a crown sort of cap on it, has a very weird funky smell... smells very odd, not going to risk it. May have left this one too long, apologies if anyone is offended.
Sorry, but WHAT? Risk what exactly? You went as far as smelling it & then didn't even have one sip?

Nope, had a smack pack that was getting on and needed to be used, was a second use, racked a beer on Sunday, gave a jar a quick rinse and chucked it in, definitely one to bank ;)

Latest posts

Back