2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Mt hood is also sprouting now and we are still getting frosts every second night :huh:

Does sprouting mean climbing up things cambrew? I have a number of different varieties with shoots on the surface but not really growing. I don't cover them like some people do, can't see the point. :mellow:

I suppose shoots would be the word , they are only a few cm above the surface. I don't think it is necessary to treat your hops like babies, last year my saaz snapped in half at about 1 meter and it ended up growing twice as fast as the rest.

My Goldings havd started spouting little shoots but my Cascade and Chinook have not. It's still pretty cold here so they might not last.

The photo was taken yesterday. Ive got a chinook in the garden and nothings happening yet. We've had some warm weather which has helped i think.

I remember last year from my own experiences and reading on this site that Chinook for many people was a notoriously late starter but once it started it grew really quickly.

Built 2 more planters on the weekend. Hopefully gettin' some mushy compost to fill them them this weekend

20120731_064717__Large_.jpg

G'day Kymba, where do you get your mushpost from and how much per bag ?
hey ratchie

got the compost from misty valley mushrooms (gerrard) last time for 50c a pop, but apparently they have gone up to $1. i am investigating other sources at the moment

hey ratchie

got the compost from misty valley mushrooms (gerrard) last time for 50c a pop, but apparently they have gone up to $1. i am investigating other sources at the moment

Thanks Kymba I usually get mine from Arama mushrooms at laundershute rd, but he has also put the price up to $1 a bag.I'll keep looking around as well.Have you got rhizomes to put in the planters yet I have some if you want.

G'day Kymba, where do you get your mushpost from and how much per bag ?

they look like nice planters..about 1m cubed?

I could probably whip up something like that cheaper than buying a half wine barrel and would hold more soil. might have a crack this weekend!

Do you have any designs for stringing up the bines? I would really love to see peoples ideas for a self supporting/ free standing structure that allows hops to grow high in a suburban backyard.

Do you have any designs for stringing up the bines? I would really love to see peoples ideas for a self supporting/ free standing structure that allows hops to grow high in a suburban backyard.

I would also love to see pics of what everyone else does, I'm setting up a couple of pines posts this weekend and am still working out exactly how i'm doing it.

Thanks Kymba I usually get mine from Arama mushrooms at laundershute rd, but he has also put the price up to $1 a bag.I'll keep looking around as well.Have you got rhizomes to put in the planters yet I have some if you want.

yeah mate i've got the couple cascades you gave me last year along with chinook, por, and west nambour goldings. the 2 additional planters are to give them all a home of their own

they look like nice planters..about 1m cubed?

I could probably whip up something like that cheaper than buying a half wine barrel and would hold more soil. might have a crack this weekend!

yeah these latest ones were piss easy to knock up - i used 2.4m lengths of 200 x 50 treated pine cut into 800mm sticks then ripped them in half. Screwed together 100mm batten screws. You could make them shorter - i didn't as the soil is like potters clay and i couldn't be fkd cutting the corro down

trellis thingo here http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=817359

I have tell.

I got home last night and went out to water the newly planted hops. The fence keeping the chickens away (just strung mesh) was crushed. My gaze shifted to the pots. CRAP!! They were all dug up, and had bines 'sprouts'(?) lying everywhere. Those frigin' chickens looking for worms. I could have killed them.

I immediately replanted the rhizomes (thanks to the copper tags I attached to them) and gave them a good watering. Hopefully they will grow back OK. Going inside, my wife immediately complained about the dirt on my shoes and hands. After relaying the story to her, she stopped complaining. I should immediately have known something was not 100% kosher. I went to wash my hands and tell the kids what happened. Then the truth came out.

"Mummy said we could use the big shovels to look for worms she needed for photgraphy class (Don't ask!). She said you put all the compost in the pots. She even helped us". WTF!!

My wife's response when I gave her the look of death- "Well how was I meant to know? You put all the soil and mulch in them." Geez-I don't know- maybe because they had bloody big, shiny copper tags attached to them!

Does anyone need a blonde to help them out in the garden? Going cheap.

photo first... ;)

sad news mate, they are pretty hardy though so I hope no real damage was done and they spring back...

I guess now the chooks are off the menu too?

I've erected a little fence to stop the buggers from jumping in there, and to stop the cat from shitting on them.

photo first... ;)

sad news mate, they are pretty hardy though so I hope no real damage was done and they spring back...

I guess now the chooks are off the menu too?

They almost were the menu!

Might be an idea to put a piece of chook wire over the pots to risk the inevitable? Reduce the likelyhood of another blonde moment?

Latest posts

Back