2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
a bit early for this malarky I thought until I did a bit of weeding this morning...

cascade.JPG

Cascade

POR.JPG

POR

Tett.JPG

Tett

WTF?? I guess they know what they are doing? I think I will just chuck some compost over them for now and see what happens..

I'd better pull the finger out and get to work on the trellis MKII

Yob

Whoa, now there's a few impatient bines! :eek:
I'd just put some mulch over them to insulate from the frost, compost is probably a little too rich at that stage and may burn, plus they really don't need much nutrition yet. So, grab a heap of dry cane mulch or some raked leaves, a frost hitting them at this stage will be a disaster and we're a long way off the end of the season for that.

yeah thats what I though (bit early)

Ive got some pea straw so will cover with that as a more neutral cover

:icon_cheers:

I'm no expert but that sounds fine, tuck them back into bed for bit! :icon_cheers:

a bit of further 'rooting' about reveals a Smurto Chinook making a break for it into SWMBO's garden bed.. sure she's gunna be happy with bines springing up all over the place :lol:

1.JPG

2.JPG

No nodes on it but if someone (local) wants it they are more than welcome to it otherwise it will be going in the bin

3.JPG

Yob

ed: (local)

If you want to send it my way I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands :icon_cheers:

a bit of further 'rooting' about reveals a Smurto Chinook making a break for it into SWMBO's garden bed.. sure she's gunna be happy with bines springing up all over the place :lol:

View attachment 55411

View attachment 55412

No nodes on it but if someone wants it they are more than welcome to it otherwise it will be going in the bin

View attachment 55413

Yob

Yeah, you will find them popping up 3 meters from where you planted the damn things, they become like weeds.

Hey, Yob. That just looks like a bit of the root sytem, mate. If there are no nodes, then it won't grow.

Mine are doing the same as yours. I've gotta get some mulch on them to put them back to sleep as the snails are finding them quite tasty the little feckers.

The only activity I have is one of the damn neighbours cats keeps crapping in my saaz pot!! <_<

WTF?? I guess they know what they are doing? I think I will just chuck some compost over them for now and see what happens..
They're going to freeze their tips off over winter.
No nodes on it but if someone (local) wants it they are more than welcome to it otherwise it will be going in the bin
Without nodes to shoot from, it's highly unlikely it will grow if replanted, it appears to be just part of the root system that has escaped.
The rhizome (which will also 'shoot' up to 3m away from the parent plant) is usually found growing just under the surface and will usually be thicker and have nodes every couple of inches - so it's easy to tell it apart from the rest of the root system.

I planted 70 bits of Cluster rhizome on the 30th of June. The nursery bags hold about 15 litres of soil and have several inches of space on top for watering.

POR_2012_and_70_cluster_planting_30_June_004.jpg

Taking over the world as well as adding new definition to cluster bomb :beerbang:

I planted 70 bits of Cluster rhizome on the 30th of June. The nursery bags hold about 15 litres of soil and have several inches of space on top for watering.

Need to get my ass into gear for this season - lots of work to do and then I need to replant all my zomes.
Made a southern harvest IPA the other day with my whole 2011 crop.

Turned out tasty, belgian IPA style. Nice amount of tannins to back it up.

Soil? Looks like sand to me. My soil is black.

Need to get my ass into gear for this season - lots of work to do and then I need to replant all my zomes.
Made a southern harvest IPA the other day with my whole 2011 crop.

Turned out tasty, belgian IPA style. Nice amount of tannins to back it up.

Ass in to gear? You tilling your soil the old fashioned way mate?

This morning I noticed a lot of very tiny white bugs with two antennae getting around my hops. They're too small for me to take a photo of. Should I be worried?
Other than that to hops seem to be healthy, plenty of shoots similar to iamozziyob's photos at the top of the page.

I'm no expert but that sounds fine, tuck them back into bed for bit! :icon_cheers:

Mine have been doing the same thing with a few early buds poking out of the surface. They also did the same last year and stayed that way till spring when they hit the grow button.

Wow you are very ambitious! :icon_cheers:

I think i love you Hoppy2B. Where are you?

Will help you harvest for a measly tonne or two.

Latest posts

Back