2012 Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i vote for the kriek tripel kabooby, yum.

mine's had such a beautiful blanket of white pustulence that i haven't wanted to touch it. i'll rack the bugger and bottle it next weekend. so we're looking at only 18 stubbies now?

Unless Jonw confirms that he is in, but even if he does, we'll make it work.

Some people have given extra, I'll just divvy up the randoms amongst those who have sent more.

Cheers,

Q

Unless Jonw confirms that he is in, but even if he does, we'll make it work.

Some people have given extra, I'll just divvy up the randoms amongst those who have sent more.

Cheers,

Q

Guys, sorry I've been absent. I'm afraid I'm out this year as I don't have a suitable beer. Sorry for messing you about.

Cheers,

Jon

Guys, sorry I've been absent. I'm afraid I'm out this year as I don't have a suitable beer. Sorry for messing you about.

Cheers,

Jon

Not a problem Jon, there's always next year.

Ok here's the current status of the swap.

1. Quintrex - Flanders Pale Ale - Confirmed - Beer @ Q's
2. Manticle - beer with funny yeast and possibly some other stuff to make it taste good - confirmed - hand delivery or post/courier
3 Nick R - pale buckwheat sour - Confirmed
4. Barls. oude bruin- confirmed- Beer @ Q's
5. neonmeate. imperial stout attacked by cuvee rene gueuze dregs - courier
6. brendanos - Berliner Weisse! - confirmed - will drop off (750's only)
7. raven19 - flanders red - bottled, confirmed - Beer @ Q's
8. Kabooby - Something delicious - Confirmed
9. Hazard - Orval Clone - Confirmed - Beer @ Q's

For those who are couriering, I'll PM you my address, if I haven't already.

Cheers,
Q

P.S> Cracked a bottle of mine the other day and I'm reasonably happy with it, moderate acidity with a good level of brett. character.

Decided on the Lambic. Was already bottled so it's in 750's. The Belgian strong with cherries has developed a heat from the alcohol that I don't like so will tip that one.

Happy to have mine sent back with the other Sydney beers if that works out better.

2. Manticle - beer with funny yeast and possibly some other stuff to make it taste good - confirmed - hand delivery or post/courier
3 Nick R - pale buckwheat sour - Confirmed
8. Kabooby - Mixture of plain, apricot and peach lambic - Sent by Aus Post - 750's

3 Nick R - pale buckwheat sour - Confirmed-Beer @ Q's

8. Kabooby - Mixture of plain, apricot and peach lambic - Beer @ Q's

Just waiting on neonmeate, brendanos and manticle now. No breakages thus far... yay

Will be at yours by this Sunday Q. Cleaning various belgian bottles tonight and bottling either tonight (now-ish) or tomorrow as I have only had to work half days Mon/Tue.

Sorry for the delay - I was going to pull out but I hate the idea.

Not sure where the tasting thread is but drinking Raven' lambic schwarz from the last swap (bottle 2) and age has done nice things to it. Chocolate, biscuit, wood and a teeny touch of balsamic with some sour cherry.

Weeny hint of nappy in the aroma but that's the unpredictability of old mate Brett - flavour hits all the right buttons.

Low carb, nice dry finish, sour level low enough to allow other characters to shine but still present and distinct.

Bottled brew 'A' just now.

Going to call it oud bruin but not in a style nazi way.

Lid ID is '2a'

Second brew will be bottled tonight and will be '2b' - a citrus and brett Old Ale.

Just a quick update, I've recieved Brendanos' contribution on the weekend and I believe the last entry is being couriered this week.... This probably means I'll sort the beers this weekend and shoot you box dimensions and weight back to you. Then you can organize a courier at your convenience. I think January sometime would be best.

Cheers,

Q

sorry to hold you all up. just sending the box off right this second. there's a couple of xmas presents in there for you too quintrex, as a late fine.

my beer is labelled ILS on the lid (Imperial Lambicated Stout) - 10% abv, high IBU, lowww pH....

sorry to hold you all up. just sending the box off right this second. there's a couple of xmas presents in there for you too quintrex, as a late fine.

my beer is labelled ILS on the lid (Imperial Lambicated Stout) - 10% abv, high IBU, lowww pH....

No worries mate. Your beer sounds bloody impressive. how does the acidity work with the bitterness and dark malts? Mouth puckering :)

I know you used some dregs from the previous swap to make this and I've been thinking... two things

1 - I'd love it if there was some way that we could do a collaborative group lambic blend thingy.
and 2- I wonder if we could do a funky beer swap where it had to be dregs only used to provide the souring component. Whether commercial or from this swap. Or too hard

Whaddya reckon :)

Q

well that's where the bretty fruity esters come in and all the carabohemian and special B...

we could have a subsidiary gueuze swap. why don't we all make straight lambics then send them to a central spot to be blended, then sent out again?

in practice i always use dregs anyway! can't be bothered ordering and buying a culture. they always work out of the bottle, and these days it isn't too hard to get a pretty interesting selection of commercial dregs. but i won't be just rinsing out all the bottles from this swap, that's for sure...

No worries mate. Your beer sounds bloody impressive. how does the acidity work with the bitterness and dark malts? Mouth puckering :)

I know you used some dregs from the previous swap to make this and I've been thinking... two things

1 - I'd love it if there was some way that we could do a collaborative group lambic blend thingy.
and 2- I wonder if we could do a funky beer swap where it had to be dregs only used to provide the souring component. Whether commercial or from this swap. Or too hard

Whaddya reckon :)

Q

Neonmeate, a subsidiary Gueuze swap sounds great. Do you think we would courier kegs to a central spot for blending?

Just an update, I picked up the last case from the post office yesterday, unfortunately there were a few breakages in transit, even with neonmeates neat bubble wrapping. I think, we should have enough still to make it all work.

I'll be sorting these tomorrow, and should be able to provide details for courier pickup shortly.

Thanks for your patience all :)

Neonmeate, a subsidiary Gueuze swap sounds great. Do you think we would courier kegs to a central spot for blending?

Just an update, I picked up the last case from the post office yesterday, unfortunately there were a few breakages in transit, even with neonmeates neat bubble wrapping. I think, we should have enough still to make it all work.

I'll be sorting these tomorrow, and should be able to provide details for courier pickup shortly.

Thanks for your patience all :)

bugger, stupid australia post. hope the extras didn't break.

i will get started on a lambic once the weather cools down a bit

Hey Folks,

Good news, in between renovating and going back to work today I've finally sorted the swap beers out and have started packaging them back up. Some people who sent down stubbies only will probably need a new box to fit the couple of longnecks in the swap. I will finish off the packing tomorrow when I've obtained some new boxes and more packing materials.

Stay tuned for details on each of your packages so that you can organize courier pickup.

Cheers,

Q

Excuse the renovation mess :)
photo.JPG

wahoo. looking forward to getting this back.

Me too!

Next one progressing too.... got 5kgs of cherries freezing atm and will pitch these onto my kriek in the coming weeks. :)

Hey Barls, If it works out easier I am happy to get mine shipped back with yours and any other Sydney guys.

Back