2012 Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quintrex

Reaction score
Announcing a call for entrants for the 4th Funky Beer Swap.

Every year I have been amazed at the range and quality of the beer's that we get in the Funky Beer swap. If Sour/Funky beers are your thing, get on board.

The 2012 swap has been timed so that the swap can be done at or around the ANHC (25th-27th october), failing that, courier delivery seems reasonably priced for australia wide delivery.

Rules

The swap will occur at the end of october 2012 (beers Must have reached the swap point before or on the 25th of october to facilitate swapping at ANHC)

Please only submit deliberately funked/soured beers that are of a pleasing nature!

The actual swap will occur via post/courier after ANHC or by hand delivery at ANHC.

Please provide either 2 x 330ml or 1 x 750mL bottle/s per person

Your swap contribution may be made up of different beers i.e. 6 bottles of flanders red, 6 of lambic.

To be a part of this case swap please add your name and proposed brew to the following list.

1) Quintrex - TBA

The three that I've tried so far from this year's have been fantastic so I'm a tentative - need to check the two ageing/bretty type beers out the back and see if I think they will make decent swappers.

Otherwise I could try my Golden ale with Brett that seems to need less time.

1) Quintrex - TBA
2. Manticle (tentative) - beer with funny yeast and possibly some other stuff to make it taste good

I'm in! I ordered the ingredients and bugs for a berlinner weisse yesterday. Good timing :)

1) Quintrex - TBA
2. Manticle (tentative) - beer with funny yeast and possibly some other stuff to make it taste good
3( Nick R - Berlinner weisse (possibly "imperial")

1) Quintrex - TBA
4. Barls. Something

Great news. Had a couple which were great and the rest are taunting me during my dry Feb. :icon_cheers:

1) Quintrex - TBA
4. Barls. Something
5. Stuster - definitely something.

glad i didn't miss this thread...

1) Quintrex - TBA
4. Barls. Something
6. neonmeate. something (probably made with all the dregs from this year's swap)

1) Quintrex - TBA
4. Barls. Something
6. neonmeate. something (probably made with all the dregs from this year's swap)
7. Josh - not sure at this stage

1) Quintrex - TBA
4. Barls. Something
8. brendanos - TBA

1) Quintrex - TBA
4. Barls. Something
8. brendanos - TBA
9. Florian - unsure

1) Quintrex - TBA
4. Barls. Something
8. brendanos - TBA
9. Florian - unsure
10. raven19 - brett brux pLambic (hopefully)

1. Quintrex - Pale Roeselare beer 'gueze-ish' hopefully
4. Barls. Something
8. brendanos - TBA
9. Florian - unsure

BTW to continue the discussion regarding a collaborative Lambic blending.

We could do this at ANHC if you guys were coming, or could get your contribution along. I recommend that if we are going to do this contributions must arrive in a keg, to minimize oxygen exposure. We can sample them under CO2 and then blend them and send them back.

Who is confident they could provide something that's actually worth blending. (not to be mean but if you're going to all of this trouble you would want good quality brews to blend with).

I threw out 40L of attempted lambic recently due to faults, I've got 20 L of 2 yo left that is promising, I'll probably brew some more when the weather cools a bit.

Who is keen?

'If' I can get over for nationals/conference I would be keen for sure Q !

My Flanders red was sampling quite well tonight with some light lambic funk from the roselare yeast.

Hey guys I'd love to attend if there are going to be some lambic lovers gathering, I have a few bottles of a 2002 "gueuze" that probably aren't going to improve much further. Not enough to swap but I'd be keen to share them and hear thoughts as well as taste some other attempts.

might have something thats worth blending by then who knows. just about to pitch it tomorrow.

1. Quintrex - Pale Roeselare beer 'gueze-ish' hopefully
4. Barls. Something
8. brendanos - TBA
9. Florian - unsure
11. Kabooby - ?

ok move to have beers to be labeled or distinctively marked before the swap.
personally i dont care if its just a coloured circle of the wife/significant others nail polish or a piece of masking tape attached with whats in it.
im just trying to stop a repeat of last year.
yes i know i should of fixed it but im going with i was drinking at the time.

Definately need a label or identification on the lid Barls. I think we are all in agreement on that front (how dare you blame beer, our elixer of all things! :p ;) :lol: ). All good mate!

My flanders red is already tasting pretty good, delicate and subtle sourness coming thru nicely.

Brett Brux lambic is being slow as in regards to developing the funk though... time to move that bad boy into the shed for some more heat to get it going. Been in the demijohn for 12+ months ffs...!

blended up my sour brown the other day half in a keg the other half is waiting for bottling. hopefully this weekend.
if it comes good ill swap this if not got another batch of frambrose and kriek going.

How's everyone's swap entries going, brewed yet?

Bottled a Flanders Pale ale the other day, hoping it picks up a little more acidity in the bottle but it's tasting quite good, all going well this could be the beer I enter.

Have some berliner weiss fermenting at the moment, will probably bottle them up shortly after I finish moving house, so they'll be my fallback plan.

Next sour beer I make I think I'll try to do a sour hopffenweisse.

Looking forward to the swap,

Cheers

Q

Back