2012 Funky Beer Swap: Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendanos

Reaction score
Let's give the one-post tasting thread a shot! Quote the most recent post, add in your tasting notes, delete the quotations (so the next guy can quote/reply) and add/update any info/labelling advice about your own beer. Delete your old posts and save the jibber jabber for another thread!

Example of a (almost) well run tasting thread.

brendanos said:
not sure if i'm doing this right but

1. Quintrex - Flanders Pale Ale

2. Manticle - beer with funny yeast and possibly some other stuff to make it taste good

3 Nick R - pale buckwheat sour

4. Barls. oude bruin- confirmed

5. neonmeate. imperial stout attacked by cuvee rene gueuze dregs
you can drink this one now but will be really starting to get good by winter. or in 2016.

6. brendanos - Berliner Weisse! (info on label)

7. raven19 - flanders red

8. Kabooby - Mixture of plain, apricot and peach lambic

9. Hazard - Orval Clone

2. Manticle - beer with funny yeast and possibly some other stuff to make it taste good

4. Barls. oude bruin- been in the bottle since early last year, drink now or when ever its only going to get better. its a 50/50 blend of hungarian and american oak.

9. Hazard - Orval Clone

2. Manticle -2a: Oud Bruin-ish type beer with Roeselare and vanilla. Ready to Drink. 2b: Old Citrus Brett ale. Ready to drink but chill first. Had a couple of gushers earlier (probably particulate matter) which seems to have settled but chilling before pouring should reduce the likelihood of anything untoward.

4. Barls. oude bruin- been in the bottle since early last year, drink now or when ever its only going to get better. its a 50/50 blend of hungarian and american oak

you can drink this one now but will be really starting to get good by winter. or in 2016.

9. Hazard - Orval Clone

2. Manticle -2a: Oud Bruin-ish type beer with Roeselare and vanilla.
Ready to Drink. 2b: Old Citrus Brett ale. Ready to drink but chill
first. Had a couple of gushers earlier (probably particulate matter)
which seems to have settled but chilling before pouring should reduce
the likelihood of anything untoward.

4. Barls. oude bruin- been in the bottle since early last year, drink
now or when ever its only going to get better. its a 50/50 blend of
hungarian and american oak

5. neonmeate. imperial stout attacked by cuvee rene gueuze dregs (ILS on cap)

9. Hazard - Orval Clone

neonmeate tasting 25/1/13: had to get stuck into this straight away cause it leaked a bit out from under the cap in transit. im assuming this is kaboobys with the red and yellow cap but not entirely sure from the flavour cause the fruit flavour is mysterious and subliminal like in fantome beers. its a delicious lambic with heaps of yummy wild nappy stink and horseradish, big toasty notes from brett (i think this comes from brett not malt) and long complex sour herbal and agricultural finish, but not at a wincing and burning the inside of your nostrils out level. i loved it, i would pay good money for this stuff. great start to the swap!

9. Hazard - Orval Clone

neonmeate tasting 25/1/13: had to get stuck into this straight away
cause it leaked a bit out from under the cap in transit. im assuming
this is kaboobys with the red and yellow cap but not entirely sure from
the flavour cause the fruit flavour is mysterious and subliminal like in
fantome beers. its a delicious lambic with heaps of yummy wild nappy
stink and horseradish, big toasty notes from brett (i think this comes
from brett not malt) and long complex sour herbal and agricultural
finish, but not at a wincing and burning the inside of your nostrils out
level. i loved it, i would pay good money for this stuff. great start
to the swap!

9. Hazard - Orval Clone
neonmeate tasting 5/2 (2nd bottle, had the 1st one a week ago) was too impatient to wait to see how this one aged. the brett side of it is fairly subdued so might have been interesting to try later. amber/red colour, very clear but with a bit of chill haze. a thin but persistent circle of fine foam. aroma has lots of hersbrucker - tobacco and lawnmower, maltiness, sort of a cologne or an old spice smell. flavour is maltier than orval, but less caramelly than jonw's last year - something in the finish reminds me of an HB i had once with geraniums in it. yes geraniums. some heavy resiny herbal hop flavours but not much bitterness, fruity and malty sweetness then quininelike and dry in finish, slight leatheriness. all of these orval clones are different from each other! a very interesting beer, thanks hazard.

dont think your the first there was another thread started for the tasting notes somewhere.

glad you enjoyed it. its 100% where i wanted it.
was roselare again with a couple of dregs added but i cant remember what they were.
just about to start on the next batch of it once temps start dropping a bit more.

brendanos said:
Guys I think you're missing the point of a 1 post tasting thread. Anything other than the first post and the most recent tasting notes should be deleted by you (unless someone has the power to moderate the thread?) - NO JIBBER JABBER!!!!!!!!! This includes me (will delete these posts when you all get the hint). Save the small talk for the other funky beer swap thread.
so only a post about the beer your tasting and no questions or converstions about them. bugger that ill post everything in the other one then.

VAL label / OLP on lid - who's is it?
Subtle aroma of funk, stale mustiness lingers at the end.
Good level of carbonation, thin white head dissipates quickly. Clear, light brown in colour.
Flavour wise is subtle (not aggressive at all - in a good way) and easy to drink - light tartness with citrus notes (lemon/lime?), light mouthfeel, brett notes present, malt still present, minimal bitterness but balanced with the acidity and very much sessionable.

Happy with this as my first of a good group of beers to come!

Unhidden previous posts for discussion/clarity.

2. Manticle -2a: Oud Bruin-ish type beer with Roeselare and vanilla. Ready to Drink. 2b: Old Citrus Brett ale. Ready to drink but chill first. Had a couple of gushers earlier (probably particulate matter) which seems to have settled but chilling before pouring should reduce the likelihood of anything untoward.
2b brendanos tasting 3/2/13 Pours quite still, faint carbonation, clear mahogony / chestnut colour. More carb as warms. Fruity brett aroma, sour cherries, slightly musty (like the taste I think berry/apple skin gives to beer/cider). Tart flavour, apple cider and woody. Refreshing acidity, quite acetic (burning on finish). A tasty, refreshing and enjoyable beer, but I would prefer it with less acetic acid and more lactic.

3 Nick R - pale buckwheat sour red cap with the brand of an Italian beer
neonmeate tasting 25/1/13: had to get stuck into this straight away cause it leaked a bit out from under the cap in transit. im assuming this is kaboobys with the red and yellow cap but not entirely sure from the flavour cause the fruit flavour is mysterious and subliminal like in fantome beers. its a delicious lambic with heaps of yummy wild nappy stink and horseradish, big toasty notes from brett (i think this comes from brett not malt) and long complex sour herbal and agricultural finish, but not at a wincing and burning the inside of your nostrils out level. i loved it, i would pay good money for this stuff. great start to the swap!
brendaos tasting 3/2/13 Sweaty wet dog, pub floor, blackcurrant, rotting fruit. Acidic up front but with pleasant honey sweetness following and grainy, toasty, nutty flavours. Really nice lactic finish with pleasant savoury character. I would recommend holding on to this one for a while as the cheesiness may dissipate!
MANTICLE (9-3-13) - Clear, very little head but what forms, remains. Gold.
Aroma of hay, (very slight) chlorine, milk, apples, wood and leather. Fairly typical 'sour beer' smell.
Carb medium, mouthfeel slightly fuller than expected.
Flavour is initially sour and very, very dry. Tiny bit of berry like character, then a cereal flavour that lingers - reminds me of oatmeal but isn't.
Really balances the beer and brings something else to the party. Without it would be a well balanced, refreshing, dry sour beer but the extra element is delicious and brings out the berry character more.
Reminds me of a delicious mueseli with tart berries and yoghurt.

4. Barls. oude bruin- been in the bottle since early last year, drink now or when ever its only going to get better. its a 50/50 blend of hungarian and american oak
Nick R tasting 2/2/13 poured medium bruin (hah) and crystal clear - with negligeable head but a lasting fizz. Beautiful tropic fruit aroma! Like a "fruit salad plant" if you know the smell. Body is a great balance - there's been a lot of brett action - but it's really not bone dry, and keeps some solid mouthfeel at the end of the mouthful. Tastes great, not very sour, but loads of funky brett (orval brett strain barls?) some dark malts and that really pleasant mouthfeel. Barls - this is great! Glad I have another to drink in good time

5. neonmeate. imperial stout attacked by cuvee rene gueuze dregs (ILS on cap) you can drink this one now but will be really starting to get good by winter. or in 2016.

8. Kabooby - Mixture of plain, apricot and peach lambic - number 8 on lid

9. Hazard - Orval Clone
neonmeate tasting 5/2 (2nd bottle, had the 1st one a week ago) was too impatient to wait to see how this one aged. the brett side of it is fairly subdued so might have been interesting to try later. amber/red colour, very clear but with a bit of chill haze. a thin but persistent circle of fine foam. aroma has lots of hersbrucker - tobacco and lawnmower, maltiness, sort of a cologne or an old spice smell. flavour is maltier than orval, but less caramelly than jonw's last year - something in the finish reminds me of an HB i had once with geraniums in it. yes geraniums. some heavy resiny herbal hop flavours but not much bitterness, fruity and malty sweetness then quininelike and dry in finish, slight leatheriness. all of these orval clones are different from each other! a very interesting beer, thanks hazard.

Good level of carbonation, thin white head dissipates quickly. Clear, light brown in colour.
Flavour wise is subtle (not aggressive at all - in a good way) and easy to drink - light tartness with citrus notes (lemon/lime?), light mouthfeel, brett notes present, malt still present, minimal bitterness but balanced with the acidity and very much sessionable.

manticle said:

2b brendanos tasting 3/2/13 Pours quite still, faint carbonation, clear mahogony / chestnut colour. More carb as warms. Fruity brett aroma, sour cherries, slightly musty (like the taste I think berry/apple skin gives to beer/cider). Tart flavour, apple cider and woody. Refreshing acidity, quite acetic (burning on finish). A tasty, refreshing and enjoyable beer, but I would prefer it with less acetic acid and more lactic.

brendaos tasting 3/2/13 Sweaty wet dog, pub floor, blackcurrant, rotting fruit. Acidic up front but with pleasant honey sweetness following and grainy, toasty, nutty flavours. Really nice lactic finish with pleasant savoury character. I would recommend holding on to this one for a while as the cheesiness may dissipate!
Aroma of hay, (very slight) chlorine, milk, apples, wood and leather. Fairly typical 'sour beer' smell.
Flavour is initially sour and very, very dry. Tiny bit of berry like character, then a cereal flavour that lingers - reminds me of oatmeal but isn't.
Really balances the beer and brings something else to the party. Without it would be a well balanced, refreshing, dry sour beer but the extra element is delicious and brings out the berry character more.

Nick R tasting 2/2/13 poured medium bruin (hah) and crystal clear - with negligeable head but a lasting fizz. Beautiful tropic fruit aroma! Like a "fruit salad plant" if you know the smell. Body is a great balance - there's been a lot of brett action - but it's really not bone dry, and keeps some solid mouthfeel at the end of the mouthful. Tastes great, not very sour, but loads of funky brett (orval brett strain barls?) some dark malts and that really pleasant mouthfeel. Barls - this is great! Glad I have another to drink in good time

5. neonmeate. imperial stout attacked by cuvee rene gueuze dregs (ILS on cap) you can drink this one now but will be really starting to get good by winter. or in 2016. update: march: still only halfway carbed after 3 months in bottle and still a bit of sour heat. i would leave it for a while till the weather gets really cold

9. Hazard - Orval Clone

neonmeate said:

5. neonmeate. imperial stout attacked by cuvee rene gueuze dregs (ILS on cap) you can drink this one now but will be really starting to get good by winter. or in 2016. update: march: still only halfway carbed after 3 months in bottle and still a bit of sour heat. i would leave it for a while till the weather gets really cold

once again raven's beer seems to be the sourest of the swap! fiery sour finish but before that happens there's a lovely fruity-malty beer with intriguing herbal and medicinal flavours. like the lambic schwarzbier i think this will be good given time - which reminds me, probably time to dig up that lambic schwarz from the 2011 swap

9. Hazard - Orval Clone

does anyone else find this new format hard to figure out whats been just posted.

glad it not just me then.
also should we start planning for this years one?

I think if people could bold or capitalise their name and date when tasting (or use some spaces) it would be easier to follow.

I'm probably out for the next one - don't have anything on the go at the moment although a lacto soured peach wit is on the cards for some time in the future.

Feel free to mod this post into the other thread if it is out of place here.

Originally posted in the 2011 thread because I couldn't find this one. Looking at the list, it makes sense that the below beers are Hazard and neonmeate.

manticle said:
So my crate has sat pretty much untouched for quite some time.

Cracked a Val or something like it bottle last night and didn't really take any notes. Is that JonW's from this swap?

Really great beer, very reminiscent of orval, with some woody/leathery brett notes and subtle orange citrus.
It's sunday and I'm brewing so forgive the early start but I just opened one labelled ILS or 571. Not sure who or what but it's great.

Deep black (stout) with tan head and some retention. Tastes like a wood aged stout with some deep red wine fruit notes (plum, berry) and just a faint hit of balsamic vinegar and some oak tannins.

Aroma is all dark chocolate,oak, plum and berry.

I have one more of both the above beers. Has re-ignited my interest in making some more funky beers.

Most of the subscribers to this thread seem to have dropped off but who knows.

And Raven's Flanders red.

Aroma of leather and candied citrus. Bright copper in the glass, no head.

Initial sweet rose balsamic, slightly sour finish, hint of peach and apricot. Light bodied,very clean if that makes sense in sour/funk terms.

Refreshing and sessionable.

Buggered up the single post thing.

Latest posts

Back