2011 Tanunda Show Homebrew Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the criteria for winning the brew days? Is that the "Grand Champion"? Does this mean that we have to have 5 entries in to get there?

Edit: I see above it's "Best all-grain brewer" so I guess it's the same...

yes, that's right. one will be for best All Grain, ie the all-grain beer that scores the most points and the other for the Best Barossa Brewer award, the entrant with the highest scoring 5 beers.
Please everyone who is dropping off entries at either Brewmaker or Beerbelly, try and get them there by 4pm Wednesday, so I have enough time to get to both places before they close. Thank you and good luck to all!

Alrighty....

Sorry for the delay in getting results everyone, but we did'nt judge the Belgians until today.
Firstly big thanks to all the judges and helpers who judged on Friday night and Sunday, unfortunately I couldn't be there but it was good to know that everything was in good hands. Also big thanks to GMK, Craig, Brenton and Alan for lending a hand at the show today, was good to meet Philw there and also see Adam B. It takes a lot of effort to put this all together and I take pride in being able to pull off a succesful comp and also showcase homebrew and craft beer to the people at a public event. The hand-pump was a big hit, thanks BYB for lending us that and thanks again to Craig for bringing his brew setup and brewing today.

And the winners are..
I have decided to publish only 1st, 2nd, 3rd for several reasons. If you would like you're full results please PM me and I'll send them to you.

British & Irish
N. Peters Mild 42.25
D. Muscovich Scottish Light 41.25
A. Beauchamp ESB 40.5

Dark Ale
A. Beauchamp Brown Porter 43.75
S. Dunstone Aus Dark 40
A. Beauchamp American brown 38

Pale Ale
L. Cartwright English IPA 33.5
K. Jermey Kolsch 32.5
R. Goodwin Aus Pale 29.5

Stout
B. Rehn FES 39.5
R. Goodwin Sweet Stout 26.5
P. Dalton Dry Stout 25.5

American Ales
K. Vercoe Am. Pale 43.5
A. Beauchamp Am. Pale 42.5
A. Duszynski Am. IPA 40.25

Strong Ale
A. Hearl Strong Scotch 41
P. Wood Old Ale 40.75
K. Vercoe Am. Barleywine 40.25

Pale Lager
L. Wilson Bo Pils 39.75
A. Beauchamp Dortmunder 36.25
N. Peters Prem. Aus Lager 30.25

Strong & Dark Lager
B. Rehn Dunkel 39.5
L. Willis Schwarz 36
D. Wild Maibock 35.25

Wheat
D. Muscovich Berliner 39
B. Rehn Weizen 35.75
K. Vercoe Wit 31.75

Belgian
K. Jermey Dubbel 42.75
S. Rosenberg Saison 39.5
A. Hearl Dubbel 37.5

Specialty
N. Peters Other Spec. 46
B. Sykes Belg. Specialty 44
K. Vercoe Rauchbier 44

A few comments on the winners and scores in general...
Congrats to Nige for taking out the honour of Best Mash Beer, you've won a brew day at Barossa Valley Brewing. Big congrats to PhilW for winning Best Extract Beer, Phil won a special Briess extract and specialty grains kit donated by Bintani. Kieren Vercoe has taken out the prestigious Best Barossa Brewer award for the best scores over five beers. He has won the coveted prize of a brew day at the Knappstein brewery in Clare. The average score over the past three years is 32, I don't know why that's interesting, I just think it is. The Specialty class was exceptionally strong this year with 7 beers scoring 40 and above, this was also the first year we have received interstate entries, so thank you to all who participated and entered their beers, it is my sincere hope that the comments from judges are helpful to you and that SA continues to put out great beers!

Cheers!

Thanks Luka, PM (about to be) sent to grab the rest of the results.

Second for my Aus Dark, very pleased with that result!

Congrats Nige, great result!

Assume it was your beer DJR?
Well done mate, and great to have interstate entrants boosting the local shows.
Nige

It was. Shame about the 2 points - well done on the 46 points - "missed it by *that* much"

Was great to catch up with you luke and Craig

well done to all the Winners and people that placed as well.

I was stoked to see that I won best kit beer and 2nd in the class with the Vintage

massive thanks to Bintani for the prize can not wait to try it out.

A second placing in my first ever comp. Can't complain about that!

same here, very glad that I entered it in :kooi: :kooi: :beer:

Hi Luka, thanks for the results.

Stoked I got my first placings in a comp: 1st Berliner Weisse and 2nd Scottish Light Ale! Can't wait to get the score sheets back for the feedback.

Got my feedback sheets today!

It was really good to get a second and third opinion on my brews. Just sitting back with my APA that only managed a 29. I always had a feeling that it fell in the "Mediocre" bracket. But not being an experienced tasted I couldn't come up with much that was constructive. But with the sheets here I can really agree with the comments. Apoligies for the mediocre batch boys, hopefully next time I'll provide something more enjoyable.

Just wish I had a bottle of the Saison to chase it with :icon_drool2:

Got my feedback sheets today!

It was really good to get a second and third opinion on my brews. Just sitting back with my APA that only managed a 29. I always had a feeling that it fell in the "Mediocre" bracket. But not being an experienced tasted I couldn't come up with much that was constructive. But with the sheets here I can really agree with the comments. Apoligies for the mediocre batch boys, hopefully next time I'll provide something more enjoyable.

Just wish I had a bottle of the Saison to chase it with :icon_drool2:

Your Saison was excellent I thought and only just missed out, well done mate.

Hi guys,
just a little pirze update for everyone. You may or may not have noticed that the Beer Of Distinction medals had not gone out yet. We had some delay in getting them, but I have them now and will be sending out to those that haven't received them yet. These medals were awarded to beers that scored 42 points or higher, the recipients this year were Kieren Vercoe, Adam Beauchamp, Ken Jermey, Nigel Peters and Ben Sykes. Adam, Ben and Nigel should see theirs in the post mid next week.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back