2011 Tanunda Show Homebrew Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luka

Reaction score
Hi All!
It's the time of year again when I call upon all homebrewers in South Australia to enter their beers into the Tanunda Show Homebrew Competition.
This years show will be held March 12th with the judging to be held Saturday March 5th. ++IMPORTANT DATE++ Entries close Wednesday March 1st 4pm
Entry fee this year is again just $3, two bottles per entry of any size please. Drop off's at Beerbelly, Brewmaker Holden Hill or c/- Luke @ Rockford Wines, Tanunda

The Tanunda Show is in its 98th year and the home brew comp has become a very important competition for South Australia with several winners from last year's show going on to do well in both SABSOSA and AABC. This years event is a BJCP registered competition, which means that any qualified BJCP judges are encouraged to enter to get their judging experience for SABSOSA and this years national comp to be held in Adelaide.

Last years Best All-Grain brewer spent a day brewing at the Enterprise Knappstein brewery in Clare Valley and I'm working closely with Lion Nathan again to arrange that for this year. This alone is great incentive to enter your beers into the comp, first place winners all receive a stainless steel, jacketed, personally engraved tankard (best trophy in homebrewing if I do say so myself!)

For futher information or if you can volunteer to either judge or steward please either pm me here on the forum or email at [email protected]
I hope to see as many entries as previous years,
Cheers!

View attachment Show_Categories.pdf

View attachment 2011_Show_entry_form.pdf

Luke, might also pay to follow the link in my sig and post in the new and improved Adelaide beer posse.

Pity the judging is on the same day as Soundwave, otherwise I would have tried to get up there for it.

i can make it, just shot you a PM.

... nothing worth seeing at soundwave :lol:

think I should be able to get there for judging too. Saturday is easier than Friday night.

Now I do have to look at what I'll enter as well.

Hi Luke. Is this comp open to anyone and are there any restrictions on the number of entries. Keen to get feedback on my brews.

The comp is open to any home brewer Damian, including interstate as I understand.

Where are you located?

I'm in Melbourne.

Does anyone have experience posting beers to comp? Any advice would be appreciated.

I am pretty sure there are some threads here on posting beers.

Australia Post do a wine bottle box that works well for long neck beers too iirc.

++IMPORTANT DATE++ Entries close Wednesday March 1st 4pm
According to my calendar, March 1st is a Tuesday. Which day do entries close?

Looking forward to this again this year!

Cheers, Steve.

According to my calendar, March 1st is a Tuesday. Which day do entries close?

Looking forward to this again this year!

Cheers, Steve.
Lol, my bad Wednesday the 2nd. Hoping as many people as possible can enter their beers, lets make it a great comp!

Any word on shifting the judging day a week forward so you can get more judges?

Can't shift it to the weekend before, only to the Sunday rather than the Saturday.

I'm in Melbourne.

Does anyone have experience posting beers to comp? Any advice would be appreciated.

I've received entries by mail before, typically just use a pile of bubble wrap and you'll be fine in an express post envelope.

I should try a drop test - could be fun :)

Andy

Little prize update for everyone.

Lion nathan have again stepped up to the plate and the brew day at Knappstein is again on offer, as well as that Barossa Valley brewing have opened their new brewery and tasting room in Tanunda and they are also offering a brew day as a prize.
For kit and extract brewers out there, you are not forgotten. I have a Briess extract and specialty malt kit from our friends at Bintani on offer for best kit Beer.

Judging will be held at the new BVB brewery in Tanunda on Sunday 6th. We will also be meeting on the Friday night to judge a couple of classes. Anyone that is doing the BJCP or has done it should be there as this is a BJCP registered competition and BJCP points are up for grabs. This is also a good opportunity to help prepare for the AABC's in Adelaide this year.

SA needs to step up and kick some butt this year at the Nationals!!

What's the criteria for winning the brew days? Is that the "Grand Champion"? Does this mean that we have to have 5 entries in to get there?

Edit: I see above it's "Best all-grain brewer" so I guess it's the same...

G'Day Luke,

Sent my two entries off last week. I hope they get there ok!

First time entering a comp. So naturally I expect to win both categories.

Back