2011 Nsw Special Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh

WSB
Reaction score
This is the tasting thread for the 2011 NSW Special Case Swap.

Wiki can be found here.

Petesbrew kicked off the tasting in the swap thread:
"Currently enjoying the first beer, FG's Palm Sugar IPA.
Mild, but firm bitterness, warming alcohol. Nice stuff, Fatgodzilla. A good way to finish off the weekend."

This is the tasting thread for the 2011 NSW Special Case Swap.

Wiki can be found here.

Petesbrew kicked off the tasting in the swap thread:
"Currently enjoying the first beer, FG's Palm Sugar IPA.
Mild, but firm bitterness, warming alcohol. Nice stuff, Fatgodzilla. A good way to finish off the weekend."
Thanks Josh.
Whoever got those Anzac Stouts of mine, give them a couple of weeks to carb properly.

2. Gulpa - Not quite Dubbel - 7% - Wy1388

Drank this one last night, very nice thanks. A good way to start of the case tasting.

cheers

nifty

Cortez's Black Weizenbock - Went down very nicely. Low bitterness & roast flavours. Very enjoyable!

43. Nifty - Black Beer

Pours like motor oil - decent tan head which collapses to a fine one. A heap of roast on the nise, some dark stone fruits, some alcohol, and a touch of vegemite

Big heavy body with tons of roast balanced with a lingering bitterness. Medium carb, warming

A great massive stout - perhaps edging toward RIS territory

Some sweet dark stone fruit and raisins pop up as it warms.

Lovely beer

Cheers

36. Muggus - Black Passion Porter

Pours black slightly tan head - fluffy

Earthy hop nose, some caramel and a hint of roast, not picking up much of the darkness on the nose

Medium heavy body, lingering bitterness. Roastiness present but not dominant.

Medium low carb. Sweet malt notes up front, medium finish. Fruity esters as it warms.

Great porter on a cool night.

Cheers

41. Petesbrew - Soul Glo Belgian inspired RIS 11.5%

First beer of the case swap. Thought this would be a good place to start :)

Pours a picture into a duvel glass. Black as black with a big thick, tight dark tan head.

Aroma of deep roast, raisins and dark fruits and some belgian yeasty aromas.

Flavour is roasty, creamy with lots of dark fruits lurking in there.

Finish is quite sweet. Full full body, nice astringency from the roast. Good level of bitterness. Medium carb.

Certainly dont see the 11.5%. Great beer Pete. Aptly named, my soul is certainly glowing now :D .

cheers,
Andrew.

4. Josh - Tripel, Wyeast 3787 - ready

Pours a hazy gold colour. Nice persistent head. Aroma is spicy belgian phenols, fruit with a light pleasant grainyness. Flavour is spicy fruit with a nice nutty malt background. Quite a bit going on here. Finish is nicely dry, bitterness suits. Carb give an additional drying bite. Great beer Josh. Really enjoying this one.

cheers
Andrew.

41. Petesbrew - Soul Glo Belgian inspired RIS 11.5%

First beer of the case swap. Thought this would be a good place to start :)

Pours a picture into a duvel glass. Black as black with a big thick, tight dark tan head.

Aroma of deep roast, raisins and dark fruits and some belgian yeasty aromas.

Flavour is roasty, creamy with lots of dark fruits lurking in there.

Finish is quite sweet. Full full body, nice astringency from the roast. Good level of bitterness. Medium carb.

Certainly dont see the 11.5%. Great beer Pete. Aptly named, my soul is certainly glowing now :D .

cheers,
Andrew.
Cheers Gulpa! :)

44. Cortez The Killer - Black Weizenbock ~ 7.5% - Ready to Drink

Pours dark ruby with a nice fluffy head. Clear. Aroma is wheaty spicy, almost smokey, seems a blend of phenolics (cloves?) and hops, some coffee and dark fruits in the background. Flavour follows the aroma quite closely, malt comes forward more. Medium body, medium carb, finish is off dry and bitterness is mediumish. Very nice beer, Gino. Initially I was wanting more munich character (personal preference for bock more than wiezen) but halfway the longneck, I dont see to care about that anymore. Im enjoying it very much. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Andrew.

42. Gruntus - Moinette Blonde

Wow, just wow.
Medium/low carbed.
Beautiful gold colour, quite clear.
Nice mellow alcohol smell on the nose.
Slightyl spiced/peppery flavour.
Alcohol well hidden on first glass, but halfway through the 2nd glass... kaPOWWWW! (60's batman style)
Well enjoyed. Thanks for sharing!

31. Fatgodzilla .. India Pale Ale 1.068 down to 1.012

This was a really nice beer.

When I first tried it straight out of the fridge it was too cold, so I let it warm up a bit and geez it took on a whole new dimension.

thanks, a most enjoyable beer.

cheers

nifty

Josh - American Brown

Nice creamy head that lasted forever.
Creamy mouthfeel, and big on US hop flavour & aroma.
Very enjoyable with a bbq roo steak.

I finally got around to retrieving my cases from CtK - thanks for the portage!

so far I have sampled:

No 9. Moinette Blonde - Gruntus

Pours honey into a chalice, bubbly head, receding slowly. Nice sweet sugar/ estery aroma. Flavours are lovely and dry, light body, medium carb sweetish finish. No warming alcohol. Very nice! Cruelled me in fact, very deceptive alcohol in there Grant, but that's the point! Well done.

No 32. Gulpa's 102 Imperial Porter

Pours black with a big frothy tan head. Aroma is sweet dark malt, vinous fruits, and subtle alcohol. Low carb, sweet and warming alcohol on finish. Very nice and well suited to the dark and stormy night outside. I capped this after half a bottle (really too strong to drink in one session) and the next glass a day later, while down on carb, held the complexities really well and I think the slightly oxidised quality added to the other flavours. Pretty awesome, thanks Gulpa.

cheers

grant

Perfect Sydney night for some sort of big ass dark beer. Nifty had just the thing.

43. nifty - Some sort of big arsed black beer. Bottled 30/01/2011 (7.7%)

Pours black as black with a thick dark tan head that falls back to a good cm of foam. No light penetrates to give any hint of colour. Strong aroma of roasty mocha, bready, dark fruits from the yeast. Strong roasty malts dominate the initial taste, good solid malt backbone with dark fruits also showing. No obvious hop aroma or flavour. Mouthfeel has some astringency from roast. Well bittered with the finish slightly sweet but the balanced by the astringent bite. Medium carb. Full body. Great beer Nifty. Perfect choice for tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Andrew.

No 58. Grant's Gose

Just enjoying this now after a long week back at work and a couple of hours graft in the shed attempting to motorise my mill.

Pours a straw colour light body, white dense head receding. Aroma is giving away the typical 3068 hefe flavours with a slight sourness. Flavour is mildly sour, slight banana with a salty aftertaste, and lingering spritzy note. Likely at its peak right about now.

Maybe not the beer for this wild and windy evening, but a good starter for the evening. I'll be interested to hear what you all think.

cheers

grant

No 32. Gulpa's 10.2 Imperial Porter

had this last night. Delicious. Gushed slightly after the first pour, but a few slurps and all was fixed.
Nice rich choc toffee flavours. Well hidden kick alc-wise. Really enjoyable, Gulpa. Thanks for sharing

36. Muggus - Black Passion Porter
Passionfruity smell?
Gorgeous frothy head, with well suited low carb. Head remained throughout the glass.
Nice thick creamy mouthfeel. Mild Bitterness, with well balanced hop flavour & aroma. I really enjoyed this one.

No 58. Grant's Gose

Just enjoying this now after a long week back at work and a couple of hours graft in the shed attempting to motorise my mill.

Pours a straw colour light body, white dense head receding. Aroma is giving away the typical 3068 hefe flavours with a slight sourness. Flavour is mildly sour, slight banana with a salty aftertaste, and lingering spritzy note. Likely at its peak right about now.

Maybe not the beer for this wild and windy evening, but a good starter for the evening. I'll be interested to hear what you all think.

cheers

grant

Shame I missed getting one of those. I did a few funky side swaps but Gino must have snuck yours out before I could grab one <_< .

8. Grantw - Belgian Dubbel

Thought a Dubbel would be appropriate for an afternoon tipple. Too early to head down the triple or dark strong road.

Pours crystal clear copper with a big fluffy head. Head dies down to a nice cm of foam. Aroma is quite subtle, bready/biscuity malt, slight caramel with a hint of belgian funk at the back. Flavour is very intense after the subtlety of the aroma. Big belgian phenolic spiciness that tingles, some raisiny fruit to balance, with those bready malts there in the background. Alcohol is a touch warming and it seems to be driving the spicyness some. Medium body, dry finish, Delicious! Probably more alcohol that I would have liked for an afternoon dubbel, but you get that. :icon_cheers: . Thanks for sharing.

14. Cortez The Killer - Crasian IPA ~ 7.5% - After June 10th

Had this one during the week. Sorry no detailed notes. But what i remember is

Lovely light amber colour, clear. Hop aroma was citrus fruity and floral, I thought it likely a mix of US and UK hops - didnt read the bit about chinese hops till just now. Quite impressive. Flavour was along the same lines, medium/high hop flavour, dry with a good assertive bitterness. Just how I like them. Great beer, Gino. I really liked it.

Cheers
Andrew.

35. Josh - American Brown Ale, Wyeast 1056

Deep ruby/copper colour. Big rocky head. Aroma is intense US citrus hops, resin, sweet caramel. could sniff it all night. Flavour is really citrusy. Sweet orange on the front palate, light caramel malts. Bitterness is firm with a off dry finish. Medium body, medium carb. Great beer, Josh. Love that orange thing, wouldnt mind seeing the recipe.Thanks for sharing.

Some fantastic beers so far in this swap, living up to "special" so far.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Back