2011 Nsw Special Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
34. barls - kiwi barley wine - can be drunk now but has very low carbonation atm

Still low carb but I have two bottles :)

Deep ruby, no head. Sweet aroma with some tropical fruit. Flavour is really good. Fresh fruity flavour with a lot of sweetness. I really hope the other bottle carbs cos it has the potential to be a tops beer.

34. barls - kiwi barley wine - can be drunk now but has very low carbonation atm

Deep ruby, no head. Sweet aroma with some tropical fruit. Flavour is really good. Fresh fruity flavour with a lot of sweetness. I really hope the other bottle carbs cos it has the potential to be a tops beer.
Cheers for the headsup Josh, I'll keep mine in the cupboard for Christmas.
I'll update the article too. My oud bruin is flat. I'm hoping time is the issue.

cheers josh i was hoping it would pick up may have to open a bottle and see how it goes.

55. Muggus - The Peat Monster - Bottled 11/3/11 (7.9%) - Funky, in a Scottish whiskey sort of way

Nice dusty copper colour, medium carbonation with miniscule bubbles, and a nice low head.

Aroma of a freshly sealed road & Flavour? Wow. Peat is the word. I gotta say at first gulp, I wasn't liking it at all, but it's worth persevering.
As it warmed up it made more sense. Flavour is like licking the ash of a good cigar, then rinsing your mouth with a single malt islay. It has a slight zing at the end too.

Getting near the end of it now, and it's a challenge, but not bad for a freezing windy night.
I'd be interested to hear what any smokers out there think of this, or lovers of rauchbiers (I'm coming around to them).

Muggus, how much peated malt did you use? Definitely Monstrous!
I'm grateful to be able to try it. Thanks for sharing.

I think I'll have to chase this one with a dram of my bowmore.
Pete

55. Muggus - The Peat Monster - Bottled 11/3/11 (7.9%) - Funky, in a Scottish whiskey sort of way

Nice dusty copper colour, medium carbonation with miniscule bubbles, and a nice low head.

Aroma of a freshly sealed road & Flavour? Wow. Peat is the word. I gotta say at first gulp, I wasn't liking it at all, but it's worth persevering.
As it warmed up it made more sense. Flavour is like licking the ash of a good cigar, then rinsing your mouth with a single malt islay. It has a slight zing at the end too.

Getting near the end of it now, and it's a challenge, but not bad for a freezing windy night.
I'd be interested to hear what any smokers out there think of this, or lovers of rauchbiers (I'm coming around to them).

Muggus, how much peated malt did you use? Definitely Monstrous!
I'm grateful to be able to try it. Thanks for sharing.

I think I'll have to chase this one with a dram of my bowmore.
Pete
Haha thanks for the kind words Pete!

Rough is a bit of an understatement with the beer; it has a certain astrigency (along with the overt smokiness and everything else) I reckon comes from the Peated Malt...and we're looking at 80% in there!
More of an experiment than anything else, the idea of which formed whilst polishing off an Islay single malt. I have no doubt some folks won't enjoy it at all!

10. nifty - Some sort of Belgian darkisk strong ale - Bottled 10/04/2011 (8.3%)

Thought I should have this one.Pours with a big rocky head that takes a good while to fall down. Hazy deep ruby colour. Aroma is typical belgian blend of fruit and phenolic spice with a nice malt undertone. Candied raisins come up as it warms. Flavour is more of the same, complex, the candy raisins show (almost reminds me of rye) with a sweet malt finish. Medium full body, medium sweet finish the highish carb helps to cut through. Very nice way to end the evening last night. Thanks Nifty.

cheers
Andrew.

Haha thanks for the kind words Pete!

Rough is a bit of an understatement with the beer; it has a certain astrigency (along with the overt smokiness and everything else) I reckon comes from the Peated Malt...and we're looking at 80% in there!
More of an experiment than anything else, the idea of which formed whilst polishing off an Islay single malt. I have no doubt some folks won't enjoy it at all!
80%... far... out.

I'm not a scotch guy. It's like nothing I've tried before. Seriously smokey to the point of harsh. But at the same time, I find that after every mouthful I am shutting my eyes and pushing the aroma around my mouth, throat and nose. Evoking memories of raking the leaves every afternoon to set the mozzie smoke fires in Summer at Crescent Head. I really have to push mysef to find anything else in it. There's at least a strong malty backbone as well.

It was an experience well worth experimenting with. I've got another bottle that I'll let sit for a while to see how it settles down.

11. Barls- Smoked Belgian Dark Strong

Pours dark brown with a reddy hue. Head dissipates quickly. Off white almost tan. Looks to have low carb. Smoke malt aroma, bacon, bbq etc. Not over powering. Belgian phenolics peaking through. Pear, some stone fruit and caramel sweetness.

Heaps going on on palate. Smoke upfront and a heap of phenolics. Packs a punch upfront but finishes quite subdued. Lingering bitterness driven by phenolics balanced by a fair body revealing sweetness.

Carb very low almost real ale territory. A little roast chocolate also apparent. The low carb works well in the big beer making it far too easy to drink.

35. Josh - American Brown Ale

Bottle opens with a face smacking hop wallop. Darl dark brown with red hues. Good head which persists. Off white to tan.

Nose is an American C hop feast! Extremely fruity. Citrus, grape fruit and passion fruit. Some sweet malt in support.

Flavour not as bitter as I was preparing myself for. Medium body & finish. A fair chunk of malt but not cloying. Only a hint of chocolate /roast. I would not have picked this beer to be dark if blind folded. Hops not as pronounced in flavour as aroma.

Josh you have nailed and American Brown!

Cheers

41. Petesbrew - Sexual Chocolate & Soul Glo Belgian inspired RIS

Pours black, tan head. Intense aroma. I cant put my finger on it but reminiscent of really big dark beers. Perhaps xmas cake/pudding, prunes, definite chocolate essence, some alcohol, roast, some phenolics and a hint of liquorice.

Flavour like thick liquid chocolate essence. Sweet initially with a lingering cocoa bitterness. Christmas cake/pudding, glazed cherry and alcohol.

Low carb. Dried fruits, prunes. This is an intense beer and Im happy its in a stbby. Would make an excellent dessert accompaniment or perhaps it could be dessert!

All I can say is wow.

31. Fatgodzilla .. ended up with an India Pale Ale

Pours cloudy. Off white head which dissipates. Alcohol warming hose, fruity esters and earthy hops.

Flavour follows same. Sweet malt followed by lingering bitterness. Herbal notes.

Overall a good IPA

9. Gruntus - La Moinette Blonde

Pours with a massive white fluffy head. Orange in appearance, opaque. Nose of Belgian phenolics, spicy, fruity.

Big flavour, phenolics, pears and orange. Some alcohol, sweet upfront and spicy finish. Bitter alcohol. Malt in support. Creamy.

Medium finish. Warming. Probably a little too sweet for style but overall an exceptionally delicious beer which screams, Drink me!

32. Gulpa - 102 Imperial Porter

Gusher caught in jug. Massive tan foam. Pours black with deep red brown hues when held to the light. Luckily the yeast does not appear to have been disturbed clear.

Massive nose. Roast and dark stone fruits plum and some alcohol. Reminds me of a RIS.

Intense flavour, roast / bitter dark chocolate. Chewy malt with a lingering bitterness. Siginificant alcohol, warming. Port flavours, dark stone fruit, plum.

Overall a big intense beer lovely on a dark cold night by the fire.

4. Josh - Tripel

A self pourer. Pours a slightly hazy blonde. Fluffy white head which dissipates. Nose of Belgian phenolics. Spicy. Pear/apple with light malt in support.

High carb, phenolics dominate. Finishes dry. Carb bite. Clean. Very easy drinking with some nice clean malt to support the alcohol warming. Unfortunately the beer is disappearing all to quickly. Top beer.

8. Grantw - Belgian Dubbel

Pours copper with an off white head. Red hues when held to the light. Fairly clear. Sweet nose. Phenolics, caramel, fruity, spicy.

Big rich body. Lots going on. Malty Dried fruits and a fair amount of alcohol warmth. Med-low carb. This is an excellent example of the style and very more-ish.

Top work Grant!

5. Muggus - Behemoth Dubbel

Pours copper. Poured hard to raise a head which dissipates.

Strong phenolics. Sweet, malty, fruity and spicy.

Flavour has strong phenolics which linger to bitterness & spiciness. Finishes fairly dry, low carb with some alcohol present .

Nice beer.

40. Grantw - Jacobite Ale (aka Scottish strong ale)

Self pouring bottle. Pours dark dark brown – near black. Off white head almost tan.

Big malty nose, some faint chocolate/roast with a nice dose of caramel. Dark stone fruit, plum and raisins.

Big malt flavour, dry quality. Roast present. Sweetness. Med high carb. I pick up some smoke, peat? Or is it some treacle or molasses?

These are the only notes I've got - but after reading Andrew's comments - there was a particular quality I can't put my finger on. I missed the part about leaving it until spring

Cheers

32. Gulpa - 102 Imperial Porter

Gusher caught in jug. ...

Cheers Gino. I hope you felt ok this morning after such a big night :lol:

Not sure what is going on with the gushing. Ive drunk quite a few of these now with no problem, but my brother got a gusher and so did Pete or Grant I think. Perhaps the priming sugar wasnt mixed correctly through the batch.

Anybody else that hasnt had it yet, you should probably open with a jug handy.

cheers
Andrew.

41. Petesbrew - Sexual Chocolate & Soul Glo Belgian inspired RIS

Pours black, tan head. Intense aroma. I cant put my finger on it but reminiscent of really big dark beers. Perhaps xmas cake/pudding, prunes, definite chocolate essence, some alcohol, roast, some phenolics and a hint of liquorice.

Flavour like thick liquid chocolate essence. Sweet initially with a lingering cocoa bitterness. Christmas cake/pudding, glazed cherry and alcohol.

Low carb. Dried fruits, prunes. This is an intense beer and Im happy its in a stbby. Would make an excellent dessert accompaniment or perhaps it could be dessert!

All I can say is wow.
Cheers Cortez!
Only got a few left, and most are marked for competitions. :(

Back