2011 Nsw Special Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
36. Muggus - Black Passion Porter
Passionfruity smell?
Gorgeous frothy head, with well suited low carb. Head remained throughout the glass.
Nice thick creamy mouthfeel. Mild Bitterness, with well balanced hop flavour & aroma. I really enjoyed this one.
Good pick Pete!
This beer was originally designed as a "black" IPA...HEAPS of late Galaxy flowers and Simcoe. But the aroma blew right out of it within a month, so I tentatively renamed it to a porter.

Good pick Pete!
This beer was originally designed as a "black" IPA...HEAPS of late Galaxy flowers and Simcoe. But the aroma blew right out of it within a month, so I tentatively renamed it to a porter.
Yeah read the name, smelt the beer, so I was expecting to taste the passionfruit as well. (Actually I'm glad there was none in the flavour to be honest!)
As said, it was really well balanced malt/hopwise. Very enjoyable.

Josh's Berliner Weisse
Cracked it this afternoon, but wish I held onto it for the middle of summer.
Nice head, well carbed with miniscule bubbles.
Slightly tart crisp feel on the tongue, with a slight lemon sourness added.
Light but smooth full flavour.
Would've been perfect while floating in the pool, but went down well with some San Choi Bow (however you spell it).

Another great beer in the swap.

35. Josh - American Brown Ale, Wyeast 1056

Deep ruby/copper colour. Big rocky head. Aroma is intense US citrus hops, resin, sweet caramel. could sniff it all night. Flavour is really citrusy. Sweet orange on the front palate, light caramel malts. Bitterness is firm with a off dry finish. Medium body, medium carb. Great beer, Josh. Love that orange thing, wouldnt mind seeing the recipe.Thanks for sharing.

Some fantastic beers so far in this swap, living up to "special" so far.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks Andrew. Glad you enjoyed it.

American Brown Ale 23L (21L cube, 2L starter)
6kg JW Vienna
3kg TF Maris Otter
300g CaraAroma
300g CaraRed
200g Chocolate Malt
65C 60mins
6g CaSO4 boil only

30g Simcoe 12.2% 60mins
23g Simcoe 12.2% cube
23g Citra 11.1% cube
69g Citra 11.1% dry hop

Wyeast 1.056 2L starter

1.070 - 1.022
Estimated 55IBU

I love using Vienna as the base to my Brown Ales. I think it adds substantial malty backbone. Added to 800g of spec grain and you can really bump up the hops. Simcoe and Citra seem to go well together too.

35. Josh - American Brown Ale, Wyeast 1056

fabulous beer Josh. Had a few Boags Premium lagers as a starter (my favourite megaswill at the moment) then when my taste buds were suitably tortured, I cracked your beauty. Lovely aroma too! Would buy shitloads of this beer if it were commercially available, let me tell you.

43. nifty - Some sort of big arsed black beer. Bottled 30/01/2011 (7.7%)

My last beer for the day and what an inspiring choice. Rich choccy/roasty flavour without excessive bittering. Loved it.

Two outstanding beers. Thanks lads.

6. Muggus - Black Passion Porter - Bottled 1/11/10 (6.8%)

Deep dark brown. No visible highlights in my poor light. Big rocky head. Aroma is a bit muted at first. Flavour is a big wallop of roast malts, dark fruits seeminly from yeast and a noticeable hop presence. Quite a big malt profile lurking in there that builds as you drink. Medium high body, medium carb, high bitterness. Big, rich and luscious. Great beer, Mike. Thanks for sharing.

3. mrs eyres - tripel 8.7%, wyeast 3787

Dark gold colour. Slight haze. Nice head. Aroma is nice blend of fruity esters, spice and biscuity malt. Flavour is quite intense spice,but also quite fruity. Malt is quite nutty, which I like in belgians. Carb is good, bitterness is good, creamy, finish reasonable sweet. Very nice beer guys. Thanks for sharing.

Also had

DW - Dunkelwiezen side swap from the Eyres

Lovely clear dark copper/ruby with a rocky head. Head falls away quickly to a film around the edges. Initially a big banana aroma on opening. This dies away to a typical wiezen aroma, a blend of banana, spicy phenolics, possibly clove and a distinct maltiness there as well. Flavour toward the spicy phenolics but I find a good balance here between the components. Med carb, medium body. Lovely beer guys. I really enjoyed this (for a wiezen ;) . Thanks guys.

Nifty's Big Arsed Dark Beer
Dark chocolatey head - one of the darkest I've ever encountered.
Rich chocolate aroma. Nice toasty flavour with good bitterness, low hop flavour which lets you enjoy the malt.
As this one warmed up it just got better. Ferfect for a cold winter's night.

Grant's Gose
Beautiful clarity, deep gold colour with a low quick fading head and mild carbonation.
Nice fruity belgian flavour, slighty tart. Made me think along the lines of a summer saison or farmhouse.
Absolutely delicious.

40. Grantw - Jacobite Ale (aka Scottish strong ale)

Pours a deep copper colour. Big fluffy head but dies down fairy quickly. Had to decant quickly before it jumped out of the bottle. Aroma is a blend of maltyness and smoky phenolics. Some hop aroma there in the background. Flavour is more of the same, a quite maltyness but the smokiness kind of dominates. Medium body, high carb with a fair bit of carbonic bite. Dry finish, almost a bit tart. Doesnt seem quite right. Not sure if I had a dodgy bottle, with the gushing and tartness. Seems to be lacking the malt richness I associate with a Scotch Ale.

cheers
Andrew.

40. Grantw - Jacobite Ale (aka Scottish strong ale)

Pours a deep copper colour. Big fluffy head but dies down fairy quickly. Had to decant quickly before it jumped out of the bottle. Aroma is a blend of maltyness and smoky phenolics. Some hop aroma there in the background. Flavour is more of the same, a quite maltyness but the smokiness kind of dominates. Medium body, high carb with a fair bit of carbonic bite. Dry finish, almost a bit tart. Doesnt seem quite right. Not sure if I had a dodgy bottle, with the gushing and tartness. Seems to be lacking the malt richness I associate with a Scotch Ale.

cheers
Andrew.

Crikey, that doesn't sound good.

I just cracked my bottle to check and its definitely not how it should be. Gushed out of the bottle and was over carbonated in the glass :eek:. Phenolic aroma dominating, very undrinkable.

Oh the shame...

Just further to my earlier post regarding the Jacobite Ale, I sampled some out of the keg this evening and it was less obnoxious than the cellar temp sample last night, but very green, so I don't think its an infection but I do think it needs a lot longer to mature.

The first batch of this beer that I made took about 8 months to hit it's straps, so my advice is to put it aside and taste it in the spring. I shall update the wiki to that effect.

Also while its a scottish strong ale, its also spiced with coriander so expect it to be a little different.

cheers

grant

Just further to my earlier post regarding the Jacobite Ale, I sampled some out of the keg this evening and it was less obnoxious than the cellar temp sample last night, but very green, so I don't think its an infection but I do think it needs a lot longer to mature.

The first batch of this beer that I made took about 8 months to hit it's straps, so my advice is to put it aside and taste it in the spring. I shall update the wiki to that effect.

Also while its a scottish strong ale, its also spiced with coriander so expect it to be a little different.

cheers

grant

That might be it, Grant. I certainly didnt find it undrinkable, drank it all in fact. I just didnt seem quite right and up to your usual standards.

Cheers
Andrew.

Grant W's Dubbbel

Nice head, low carb. Deep brown colour.
Tastes of spiced sultanas, Very mellow. Very slight hint of phenolics, but not in a bad way.
Again, enjoyable once it warms up. A great beer!
Thanks Grant.

No. 4 Josh's Tripel

Opens with a slight fsst, pours golden with some haze, a rocky head disappearing to a light foam. Nice honey and spice aroma, some sweetness. Bright mouthfeel, dry - almost champagne like. Light malt with peppery spicey notes, no alcohol, dry finish. As the glass warms delicious phenolic flavours emerge, complementing the malty body. Very nice indeed.

No. 41 Petesbrew Sexual Chocolate

Pours black with a sparse dark tan head. Rich dark chocolate aroma, dark malts and some slight promise of alcohol. Soft mouthfeel and low carb - pretty complex flavours, chocolate up front, with blended roast malts and yeast derived phenolics of dark fruits and an aged quality that adds a further layer of complexity and interest. Finishes dry with a pleasant warming sensation. Very impressive beer Petesbrew most delicious.

cheers

grant

That might be it, Grant. I certainly didnt find it undrinkable, drank it all in fact. I just didnt seem quite right and up to your usual standards.

Cheers
Andrew.

Cheers Andrew,

Sometimes I worry that I'm due for a dud and it would be just my luck to put it in a swap.

grant

54. Josh - Berliner Weisse - sour mash and Wyeast 1007

Very pale. Quite cloudy. Big rocky head that fall back slowly. Refreshing fruity lemony aroma, sour cream, a hint of malt there too. Sourness dominates the flavour but not too source, the lemony creaminess is there and malt is supporting in the background. Low bitterness, light bodied, med-high carb. Great balance here. Light and very refreshing. Ive not a lot of experience with this style to compare but this seems to tick all the boxes and Im enjoying it. Very nice beer, Josh. Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Andrew.

No. 41 Petesbrew Sexual Chocolate

Pours black with a sparse dark tan head. Rich dark chocolate aroma, dark malts and some slight promise of alcohol. Soft mouthfeel and low carb - pretty complex flavours, chocolate up front, with blended roast malts and yeast derived phenolics of dark fruits and an aged quality that adds a further layer of complexity and interest. Finishes dry with a pleasant warming sensation. Very impressive beer Petesbrew most delicious.

I had this one last Sunday night. Sorry no notes, Pete, but my thoughts were along the lines of Grant's. Loved the intense chocolate flavour and loved how it was a big beer but not at all cloying, certainly didnt recognise 9.5% in there, very well hidden. Great beer, Pete.

cheers
Andrew.

9. Gruntus - La Moinette Blonde - Bottled late Feb - 8.9%

Lovely clear deep gold with a touch of redness. Big head that dies down to a nice foam layer. Aroma reminds my of pear poached in spices, with a touch of cream. Really quite inviting. That fruityness is there in the flavour as well, balanced as the spicy phenolics come up more, with that creaminess again. Nice complex malt in the background. Medium body, medium carb, low bitterness. Finish is a touch sweet. Lovely beer, Grant.

cheers
Andrew.

Cheers Grant & Andrew.
Sorry I can't give a better writeup of everyones beers. But a comment is better than none right?
Grant, I love my belgians, and every good one, yours included, takes me back to Belgium, whether it be a town square, a little cafe, or a youth hostel bar.
Delicious.

First cab off the rank.
43. nifty - Some sort of big arsed black beer. Bottled 30/01/2011 (7.7%) Ready to drink.

Opaque black with a dark tan head. Big roast and chocolate aroma and flavour with just a hint of hops. Warming alcohol but not harsh.

Enjoyable beer nifty. Especially as we prepare for this cold snap.

44. Cortez The Killer - Black Weizenbock ~ 7.5% - Ready to Drink - Recipe

Black with ruby highlights when held up to the light. Minimal off white head. Interesting that you used Weizen yeast. Tastes like a pretty clean fermentation character to me. Something I'd associate with a Dark Lager, rather than a Weizenbock. Pretty tasty beer regardless. Cheers Gino.

2. Gulpa - Not quite Dubbel - 7% - Wy1388 - Ready to drink
5. Muggus - Behemoth Dubbel - Bottled 4/4/11 (8.2%), Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes
8. Grantw - Belgian Dubbel

Had these during the SOO3 so no real notes taken. I think Gulpa's hides the booze better than the other 2. And I pick up some sort of smokiness from Muggus' beer. Perhaps a phenolic from fermentation.

But all 3 have been enjoyable and great companions for a shoddy SOO game. Congrats to Locky, but the rest of QLD can go f*ck themselves.

Back