2010 Perth Royal Beer Show Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolPatch

Reaction score
AHB did very well again this year at the show. Shame there wasn't a thread to notify AHB'ers earlier that the comp was happening - I'll try and remember to do this next year as it is the only comp I know where they have an exhibitor's tasting :).

AHB'ers I know of that did well are as follows...

Best Amateur Brewer: Asher
Best Amateur Beer: Brendanos
Best Lager: Sigi Jekabson*s (not sure if he has an AHB name but Gryphon Brewing coached him.)
Best Reduced Alcohol: Asher
Best Wheat Beer: Brendanos
Gold: Sigi Jekabson*s for a Munich Dunkell
Gold Dennis and Cameron Barron* for a Kolsch
Gold: Asher Mitchell for an APA
Gold: Maltmans* for a Russian Imperial Stout
Gold: Brendanos for a Sticke Berliner Weisse

*Not entirely sure if these guys have an AHB name.

There were heaps of silvers and bronzes from other usual suspects such as Gryphon, church, Vlad the Pale Aler and randyrob. Good on you! I have only just glanced through the catalogue so apologies if I have missed anyone.

The exhibitor's tasting was not as busy as last year which was a shame but still lots of familiar faces. There was also a great looking girl wearing a grey singlet which made up for this a fair bit.

;)
Pat

AHB did very well again this year at the show. Shame there wasn't a thread to notify AHB'ers earlier that the comp was happening - I'll try and remember to do this next year as it is the only comp I know where they have an exhibitor's tasting :).

AHB'ers I know of that did well are as follows...

Best Amateur Brewer: Asher
Best Amateur Beer: Brendanos
Best Lager: Sigi Jekabson*s (not sure if he has an AHB name but Gryphon Brewing coached him.)
Best Reduced Alcohol: Asher
Best Wheat Beer: Brendanos
Gold: Sigi Jekabson*s for a Munich Dunkell
Gold Dennis and Cameron Barron* for a Kolsch
Gold: Asher Mitchell for an APA
Gold: Maltmans* for a Russian Imperial Stout
Gold: Brendanos for a Sticke Berliner Weisse

*Not entirely sure if these guys have an AHB name.

There were heaps of silvers and bronzes from other usual suspects such as Gryphon, church, Vlad the Pale Aler and randyrob. Good on you! I have only just glanced through the catalogue so apologies if I have missed anyone.

The exhibitor's tasting was not as busy as last year which was a shame but still lots of familiar faces. There was also a great looking girl wearing a grey singlet which made up for this a fair bit.

;)
Pat

It's a funny old comp. Swan Draught won 2 trophies for best lager. And looking at my results I can't see where the gold was awarded in the APA section.

LOL! The Swan wins frightened all of us!!!

Trophys are different from medals though. A trophy is basically a "best of" that category. The medals, Gold, Silver and Bronze, are based on a score. Swan might get a trophy but not a medal. For example, if the best beer in the lager category scored 10 out of 20, it could well get a trophy but would not qualify for a medal. This is also the reason why you only see the occasional Gold in a category.

Pretty sure I have this correct but am not much of a competition fundi :)
Pat

So mate this girl in the grey singlet, the headlights would have been on no or was the heating right up at the Parmelia Hotel that night.

Hope to see your beer entered next year Pat? The State comp is also comming up soon,I have to start brewing some beer.Three Bronze and a Silver for me from four beers entered :beerbang: :beerbang:

Andrew

Cameron Barron is on AHB. Pretty sure his name is his name...

IIRC there was no gold in the APA. Just a silver, to Asher I believe. My result sheet is in the car still...

I believe you are correct O'Henry. Just for completeness:

Lager Packaged
Emu Bitter : Silver
Swan Draught : Silver

Lager Draught:
Swan Draught : Silver
Toohey's New : Silver

There were no Golds awarded in these categories. Me thinks there is an opening here.

Did anyone enter any Lambics? (Asher? ;) )

Well done to all the winners.

Yes , well done to the winners and the girl in grey :icon_chickcheers: . Bassendean WA sure does produce some outstanding brewers in the Lager section. Sigi and I have both won best lager of show now, for the second biggest comp in Australia I think we hold our credentials well.
Also I noticed that the Best beer of comp was won by a Vegetarian brewer again, thats two years in a row, me last year and Brendanos this year.
GB

Hope to see your beer entered next year Pat? The State comp is also comming up soon,I have to start brewing some beer.Three Bronze and a Silver for me from four beers entered...

Andrew

You are such a braggot churchy! ** :) Seriously though*, you did a top job again mate :icon_cheers:.

I'm a bit cranky that you didn't bring Mrs Churchy inside for me so as we could continue our last bonding session which I think went quite well :). Especially as any time I tried to get near grey singlet there was something in the way - Gryphon Brewing :angry:

I did manage to get one beer in this year which is a great pilsner recipe I got from Nev. I thought I had heaps left but checked the keg before the comp and was scared to death that I wouldn't be able to get the required 2lts out of it. I'm not very good at working out what styles beers are and after a tiny sip, thought that the beer was not bitter enough to be a pils so entered it as a Munich Pils. After sending my entry off I did manage to taste a full glass of it on a clean palate and it is definitely a pilsner. It scored a bronze but all credit should go to Nev for the recipe and any negatives to me for the brewing and wrong classification.

*Also on the serious side, I got too tired writing the results to thank Brendanos, O'Henry and Garry who were some of the guys serving at the bar on Saturday. I believe they also did some stewarding. The RAS staff are also always a delight and thanks to the judges, whose names, like the stewards, I can't find anywhere.

Spot,
Pat

P.S. Curchy, I'll probably have a brew day here soon so make sure you are free to babysit the kids so as Mrs Churchy has no excuse not to come. (** I have run out of emoticons - already got rid of 6!)

Thanks Pat! I helped judge the comp on Mon/Tues, and helped steward the Exhibitors tasting as the regular stewards were all unavailable.

That BW was a blend of two batches both brewed with Lacto & Brett, though I am trying to brew more now with Lacto & Pedio (though struggling to get the acidity). And before anyone gets rowdy, nobody judged/influenced/discussed their own beers before or during the comp....

For those that entered and aren't/weren't happy with their results/feedback (whenever it comes) - remember that the judges are always correct in what they perceived, even when you think otherwise. Results from one comp are fairly insignificant, though if you get the same feedback from 2 or 3 comps then you may want to start taking it seriously.

No other (intentionally) sourer beers were entered this year, though if last year is any indication I reckon there will be quite a few entered into the WASABC. Some of the gueuze/reds last year were exceptional!

And re: Swan Draught - all beers are judged to guidelines, and if the beer fits the guidelines perfectly then it is always going to succeed. It doesn't matter whether a beer is to a judges taste, style is style and that is what competitions are about. There were plenty of great beers judged that were simply not to style, or deemed too far out of spec/in the wrong category to be given a decent score.

One thing to remember about comps is that they are not just about how good a beer may be in the subjective sense i.e. how good does it taste. Comps have the added criterion of style, a beer may be great but still fail to score a medal because it doesn't conform to the style that it has been entered in. So it's always worth placing a fair amount of weight on judge's comments rather than just relying on the distribution of medals.

And re: Swan Draught - all beers are judged to guidelines, and if the beer fits the guidelines perfectly then it is always going to succeed. It doesn't matter whether a beer is to a judges taste, style is style and that is what competitions are about. There were plenty of great beers judged that were simply not to style, or deemed too far out of spec/in the wrong category to be given a decent score.

I think putting my beer in as a Munich Helees instead of a Pilsner is the only reason why I only got a bronze instead of Gold :).

Brendanos, thanks from all of us to you and the other judges. Like the stewards, it is a pretty non-publicly recognised service. Next time though, let me know in advance that you are judging and I will be able to give you a heads up on what should be Gold okay?

Your comments on Swan Draught are interesting. I confess that I had a jug of Fosters about three years ago. It was the first beer we shared at about 11am of a long buck's party. I actually found it to be quite an interesting beer. Whether that be an obscure infection in the lines or whether that was the beer itself, I have no idea but am still tempted to buy a Fosters again to check. I have never done this which is pretty arrogant of me. It was actually a very enjoyable beer.

I should try the same thing with Swan Draught. In other words, with an open mind.

I must say though that the thing that puts me off this is knowing that nearly every mainstream commercial beer will give me a headache. Or, have I got this wrong as well? I seriously wouldn't have tried a commercial mainstream beer in the last three years, probably five, so who am I to judge? Maybe they have changed?

Interesting stuff and thanks again Brendo,
Pat

Actually, according to the results brochure "Style" only counts for 3 points out of 20 whereas flavour counts for 6 and aroma for 5. Last Swan Draught I had was sadly deficient in both favour and aroma. Lion Nathan must have cooked up a special batch. Now here's an idea. Go down to the pub, buy a middy of Swan Draught, drink it. When you've stopped retching think to yourself "all I have to do is brew something slightly better than that and I could get a gold in the PRBS" (I use "you" and "yourself" on the royal sense).

Back