2010 Esb Homebrew Challenge Cup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my results today, cheers.

I've been hanging out for the feedback and it was great to finally get the three perspectives. The $100 voucher was a pleasant surprise, thanks heaps!

Certificate is now proudly stuck on the brew fridge door, plenty room for more too - might have to work on that.
Well done Jakub!

Cheers SiloJust saw your previous post, 31 is a pretty good effort for a first comp!

Thanks mate. I was surprised myself, considering the harshness of the bittering. Just mashing Mk II today and will try and focus on getting the style perfect for the 2011 NSW comp. Its going to be cutting it fine for entry this year, but the upshot is plenty of time to refine it.

See if you can beat my lowest ever...14/50.

That's got to hurt :) Did they send you a wooden spoon?

I brewed with Damon at the Lord Nelson yesterday. Boy was it a good day. I learned a lot, drank a lot of beer and had a mighty good time.

We brewed 3 Sheets, which is an Aussie / American pale ale. If you haven't had it, get down to the Lord and treat yourself to a pint. The beer is never more than a month or two old there, and is served straight from the big bright tanks in the basement.

Here are some pics that I took of the day.

Doughing in:

photo.jpg

View of the mush tun after tipping all 150kgs of grain in:

photo2.jpg

Damon giving the mash a good stir:

photo3.jpg

After mashing in we transferred a batch of Nelson's Blood from a fermenter upstairs to a maturation tank downstairs to free up a fermenter for the 3 sheets we were brewing. A taste test was compulsory. You can see the mash recirculating in the background:

photo4.jpg

Getting the hops ready. Galaxy ooh yeah!

photo5.jpg

The two hop additions weighed out. Galaxy for bittering and heaps of US cascade with a little galaxy for the late addition:

photo6.jpg

Time for a beer break. This is the Double Nelson, a seasonal, 5.8% APA that Damon does every year with cascade, amarillo and a bit of galaxy. He changes the hop used for dry hopping every year. This year's batch was dry hopped with Amarillo (I think, will check with Damon). This was just one of many beer breaks throughout the day. Damon was kind enough to give me a sample of pretty much every beer that he brews at the Lord that was on tap at the time.

photo7.jpg

Adding the late hop addition to the kettle. We let this boil for another minute before turning off the kettle and starting the whirlpool.

photo9.jpg

With the wort chilled and in the fermenter and 500g of US05 pitched, we relaxed at the bar and had a taste of my APA, followed by quite a few house beers. Note the coopers longneck of homebrew on the bar ;)

photo8.jpg

Thanks to the ESB challenge organisers for their time spent organising the comp, Damon for putting up with my questions all day, and Blair for having me, shouting me a Victory Bitter, and telling me some crazy stories about toothless fishermen, who frequented the pub when he first bought it 25 years ago.

Cheers! :beer:

EDIT: cleaning up image attachment

A great report. Happy you had such a good day.

Awesome work, Sam. Thanks for the pictures...and for outing the 3 sheets ingredients! Any idea on the malt bill? JW Pale & a little crystal I'm guessing.

A great report. Happy you had such a good day.

And of course a massive thank you again to Barry for generously donating the prize!

Awesome work, Sam. Thanks for the pictures...and for outing the 3 sheets ingredients! Any idea on the malt bill? JW Pale & a little crystal I'm guessing.

I'm not entirely sure as Damon had milled the grain the day before. If I remember correctly it has JW Pils, some munich, light crystal and a touch of imperial malt. I haven't used imperial before, but Damon gave me some to munch on and it's a bit biscuity with a slight sourness to it.

Back