2009 Queensland Amatuer Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, finally got the score sheets for this comp.
Some of the detailed feedback was most welcome and helpful.
Apologies to Ben & Matt for providing a slightly infected stout - was bottled from keg but at the time all seemed well, 2 weeks later "What happened to the aroma FFS????" :rolleyes: .
I'm also going to have to modify the way I use a carbonation cap, or bottle condition for the comp next year going by the 'low carbonation' remarks.
Thanks judges :icon_cheers: .

I think entering comps sends your brewing through the roof. I'm sure judges get it wrong from time to time, but mostly they provide the kind of objective info that you need to ramp your beer making up. Your friends are not always the best source!
Another good idea is to get the beer judging sheets (print them off the BJCP website), and actually go through and judge your beer before it goes to the comp. Try and imagine you were presented this at a comp, and write all the details you normally would see on a judging sheet. You can then get an idea how this might fit into style guidelines, and you can also compare it to what you get back from the judges and see how your judging skills are. Did thats make sense?

Makes perfect sense, MaxT. Nowadays, increasingly, brewers craft their comp. beers to try and hit the specs laid out in the BJCP guidelines. However at the end of the process it's a good idea to taste the beer against the guidelines and assess whether you actually hit the target.

I think entering comps sends your brewing through the roof. I'm sure judges get it wrong from time to time, but mostly they provide the kind of objective info that you need to ramp your beer making up. Your friends are not always the best source!
Another good idea is to get the beer judging sheets (print them off the BJCP website), and actually go through and judge your beer before it goes to the comp. Try and imagine you were presented this at a comp, and write all the details you normally would see on a judging sheet. You can then get an idea how this might fit into style guidelines, and you can also compare it to what you get back from the judges and see how your judging skills are. Did thats make sense?

Good idea about the sheets I was wondering where I could download those and judge mty own beers. Should help with my beers and my judging. Problem is brewing to BJCP guidlines and being judged on AABC. As I fell into brewing for a BJCP foreign stout and finding this did not match a AABC foreign stout.

Brad

Good idea about the sheets I was wondering where I could download those and judge mty own beers. Should help with my beers and my judging. Problem is brewing to BJCP guidlines and being judged on AABC. As I fell into brewing for a BJCP foreign stout and finding this did not match a AABC foreign stout.

Brad

PM Browndog, he was going to email some sheets to who wanted some for the Swap Beers... ;)

:icon_cheers: CB

Brad

Where do they not match Brad? I just looked up both sets of guidelines & from what i could see they are identical?

Cheers Ross

Where do they not match Brad? I just looked up both sets of guidelines & from what i could see they are identical?

Cheers Ross

Main thing that threw me Ross was the two diiferent styles, under AABC the foreign stout falls under Strong Stout greater than 6%. Under BJCP guidelines it fits within the stout style and begins at 5.5%-8%. Was a bit confusing for a new player but have learnt heaps in the last couple of months through comps. I put it into sweet and it done quite well and the feed back is very informative. Except for the one judge that gave two or three word feedback in each section and finished with a not to style in overall impression, the other two judges were very helpful and it is much appreciated. said beer came 11th in AABC. = me happy

Cheers Brad

Brad,

The catergory title is a little misleading, but if you read the style guidelines under both substyles, they are identical, including the SG & FG figures. I'll work on getting the >6 removed for nexy year as it's caused confusion.

cheers Ross

Brad,

The catergory title is a little misleading, but if you read the style guidelines under both substyles, they are identical, including the SG & FG figures. I'll work on getting the >6 removed for nexy year as it's caused confusion.

cheers Ross
Agree 100% with what your saying Ross. I was confused.

Cheers Brad

Sorry to show my iggorance again but as a comp first-timer does winning a medal for a beer come with anything tangible e.g. bit of paper etc, or do you just relax with the knowledge of a job well done?

Campbell
Competition Virgin

Campbell,

You should have recieved a certificate with your judging notes?
1st & 2nd places got prizes as well.

cheers Ross

Yes I got a framed certificate for my first in Low Alc but didn't get any little card thingos for my couple of seconds and medal winners, as yet. Fridge magnets would be a good 21st century idea, I've got heaps of fridge real estate now with my 'new' big second hand fridge delivered by GravityGuru and Mrs GG today.

I can feel some lagers, Munichs and Pilseners coming on :icon_cheers:

Yes I got a framed certificate for my first in Low Alc but didn't get any little card thingos for my couple of seconds and medal winners, as yet. Fridge magnets would be a good 21st century idea, I've got heaps of fridge real estate now with my 'new' big second hand fridge delivered by GravityGuru and Mrs GG today.

I can feel some lagers, Munichs and Pilseners coming on :icon_cheers:

There are cetificated for 2nd and 3rd as well. Might be in the box of 'leftovers' from last BABB's meeting.
Ross has that box and was going to post out the bits that weren't collected after last meeting.
Hang in there.

Adrian

Latest posts

Back