2009 Prbs - Rule Change

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrosnan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have received the rules for this years PRBS and note that at section 6.2 the requirements are now for not less than 6 bottles having a total volume of not less that 1.98ml. This looks like they are wanting 6 330 ml bottles. This is a PITA as I have a number of brews ready to enter (brewed over the last few months) but I was anticipating that 3 750 ml bottles would be acceptable as per last year and I don't have 6 330ml bottles of each brew on hand. Is anyone else put out by this seemingly overly pedantic requirement or has anyone already tested whether they are going to rigidly enforce this requirement for amateurs? I intend to send a protest via email and see whether there is any discretion in rules.

Yes I noticed the same .Ridiculous at such short notice.I have a Imperial stout in the 750 ml bottles now for near on 12 months, what do I open it and re bottle to stubbies? I think not. Just will not submit it. I think they are not using the BJCP any more ? This must affect a lot of entrants. :angry:
GB

Does anyone have the details / entry form they can post here?

6 bottles having a total volume of not less that 1.98ml. This looks like they are wanting 6 330 ml bottles

Wouldn't this mean a minimum of 1.98L for six bottles? So the smallest they want it 330ml bottles, not the maximum. Or should it read not "more" than 1.98L.

Wouldn't this mean a minimum of 1.98L for six bottles? So the smallest they want it 330ml bottles, not the maximum. Or should it read not "more" than 1.98L.

I read this as saying that they want at minimum 6 bottles. The minimum total volume is 1.98Lt. Therefore the best fit is 6 x 330 ml bottles. If you use 750ml bottles then you end up with 6 x 750 ml which puts you well over the 1.98Lt minimum. There are basically 2 requirements:
You must submit 6 bottles and;
Total volume must be at least 1.98Lt.

As far as I can tell there is no maximum volume or maximum number of bottles. Obviously this requirement will be much easier for commercial breweries to fulfill.

I read this as saying that they want at minimum 6 bottles. The minimum total volume is 1.98Lt. Therefore the best fit is 6 x 330 ml bottles. If you use 750ml bottles then you end up with 6 x 750 ml which puts you well over the 1.98Lt minimum. There are basically 2 requirements:
You must submit 6 bottles and;
Total volume must be at least 1.98Lt.

As far as I can tell there is no maximum volume or maximum number of bottles. Obviously this requirement will be much easier for commercial breweries to fulfill.
And bloody hard for the rest of us that have already bottled 3x 750 ml, why do they do this stuff right at the last moment? Not happy Jan. :eek: I notice no other unhappy people, may be they were aware of the change before hand ?
GB

Just give them your three bottles plus three empty ones, then you've met both criteria. ;)

And bloody hard for the rest of us that have already bottled 3x 750 ml, why do they do this stuff right at the last moment? Not happy Jan. :eek: I notice no other unhappy people, may be they were aware of the change before hand ?
GB

You have'nt been logging in to WCB have you Nev, you naughty boy.

See below- updated today. Also see updates on the microbrewing industry on (MB site - Brewers file- noticeboard): http://www.microbrewing.com.au/default.asp?ID=745984

Thank you to those Exhibitors who have highlighted the confusion in complying with the changes in the amount of containers required for entries in the Amateur Section of the 2009 Cryer Malt Perth Royal Beer Show. An explanation for the changes is given below.

The Beer Committees intent for these changes is in the best interest of the Exhibitor, their product and for the overall standard of the Beer Competition.

The following Section Condition 6.2 will apply for 2009:-

For Amateur Section ONLY

Packaged Beer Class

Each packaged beer Exhibit to consist of a minimum of three (3) containers and not less than 1.98 litres forwarded either in cans, PET containers, sealed or corked bottles. Exhibitors please note this is the minimum amount required.

Explanation for the changes in the Amateur Brewing Section.

The request for additional bottles is to ensure that there is enough beer supplied in the entry to cover the following:
Judging process.
Exhibitors Tasting Function. The exhibitors tasting is an opportunity for brewers to present and showcase their product.
A sample may also be required to be sent for analysis. To avoid any false or contaminated readings the analysis sample should be taken from an unopened bottle.
Requesting 3 containers will allow us to present your product in the best possible condition. If only a 1 x 750mL bottle is entered this will be opened for the judging and unable to be served at the Exhibitors tasting.

Carey Paterson
Section Co-ordinator
The Royal Agricultural Society of Western Australia
Tel: 08 6263 3142
Email: [email protected]
http://www.perthroyalshow.com.au
http://www.raswa.org.au
To serve & enrich the people of Western Australia by showcasing the resources & endeavours of its people

Back