2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my POR plant as of late november. Need to take a new pic of it

Sally_1.JPG

Thanks Steve, I'll check them out when I get a chance.

Hi Guys,

I have a new bug, and i cant identify it and dont know if i should erradicate it, it leaves a white snow like substance on some parts of the vine.

Any thoughts?

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

there's red ones and green ones.

This is driving me mad, i've been googling for hours.

you sure? None of the spidermites on that page look like the wooly tailed bug in that photo?

Gibbocore,
Sorry, I got distracted and was trying to think of these bugs. I think they're mealy bugs or some other sapsucker and they spread powdery mildew. I have seen them in my garden.
I have also been trying to find them on the internet for a few hours with no success.
(edit) Definitely not spider mites, which are small, red,spidery and numerous, not singular.

NRB,
Maturity of hop cones (from this site)
But how do you know when it is time to pick your hops and reap the rewards? It is best to determine the readiness for picking by feel and smell. If the cone is too green, it feels slightly damp to the touch and has a softness to its scales. If you squeeze the cone, it will stay compressed in your hand. A ready cone will feel papery and light. It will feel drier than a green cone, and some varieties take a lighter tone as they mature. If your hands quickly take up the smell and are slightly sticky due to the yellow powdery lupulin, that cone is ready for harvest.

As for my garden, one of the Chinooks is at the top of it's twine. It must be at least 6m long

Les

Gibbocore,
Sorry, I got distracted and was trying to think of these bugs. I think they're mealy bugs or some other sapsucker and they spread powdery mildew. I have seen them in my garden.
I have also been trying to find them on the internet for a few hours with no success.

Cheers mate, its been driving me crazy. I thinks it may be a wooly aphid perhaps? Thats the closest i've got.

a bit like these?
Seems that there are a variety of appearances or stages.
Wooly_2.jpg
wooly_aphid.jpg

ahhh, I've just made the same discovery, i think thats the nymph stage i've caught them in.

Cheers mate!

my hallertau has burs forming im going to get hops off it finally its only take 3 years.

This is a Mealy Bug.
Bit different to yours, but are common on indoor plants.

Ok for the experts out there, this is my first attempt at hop growing. Can someone confirm or unconfirm whether these are flowers developing on my Mt Hood. If it is, Wooo hoo. Also if they are flowers what is my next stage in the watering. Bang in more nutrients or just keep the slow release gear that I currently have lying aroung the base of the hop plant.

BYB

IMGP2079.JPG

IMGP2080.JPG

it looks like side laterals to me but these are where the cones form. id keep doing what your doing. personally id hit it with some power feed myself. i do ether it or seasol every couple of weeks or at least once a month.

it looks like side laterals to me but these are where the cones form. id keep doing what your doing. personally id hit it with some power feed myself. i do ether it or seasol every couple of weeks or at least once a month.

Have been using the seasol combined with a little slow release on the ground. I am a bit with you on the laterals, but then again I also am not.

BYB

looks like immature hop cones to me. You should switch to a more Phosphorus and Potassium based fertiliser to promote flowering.
If you can get liquid blood 'n' bone, that's good. You should back off on the Nitrogen unless the leaves are looking pale (like mine). Keep the watering up, but you may need to strip back (remove leaves from) the lower few feet of the plant to discourage mould or any rot that may happen due to moisture.

Les

Have been using the seasol combined with a little slow release on the ground. I am a bit with you on the laterals, but then again I also am not.

BYB

BYB

Certainly looks like some cones developing in the LH photo,

I use seasol as well, but also mix in with it some "potash" apparently the potassium is good for flower development.

My second year Hersbrucker and Tardif de bourgogne have gone up three metres and the laterals have gone crazy.

Cheers,
BB

Good to see everyone else's hops growing well, I'm happy with how mine are going that's for sure. Here's a few quick pics:

hops_jan09.jpg

hop_cones_jan09.jpg
This is just one part of the hops, the other side has plenty of flowers now too.

I'm still yet to get these ones identified, the guy I bought them from said "probably POR" :)

Also trying to propagate a few of them too, had some mixed success so far. Certainly there's enough shoots I can use each time, so I'll just keep trying until I have it right.

BYB
ok the main bines put out bines going sideways called laterals. on these laterals form the cones from little burrs that form under the leaf shoots.
does this make sense or am i speaking in a different language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back