2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks like a caterpilar imo. Did you have a really good look on the back of the leaves that are being eaten? tiny lil green suckers, rip em off and feed em to the birds.

Yeah had a good look, the shoots are only pretty small at the moment and some of the holes are tiny (probably 1mm or 2mm in diameter). I had noticed tiny little insects like fleas on the back of the leaves, but they jump away to quickly to get a good look at them. Any ideas?

Spider mites are virtually impossible to see as they are tiny. the yellowing isnt a sign of mites or any pest that i know of. Discolouration of leaves is a sign of water/nutrition issues normally.

Still, if you find anything thats eating it the chilli spray works a treat so long as you add a decent amount of soap to make it stick tot he plants.

Either that or vegetable oil mix with soap (otherwise known as white oil).

2 cups vegie oil with 1/2 cup liquid soap (hand stuff or dishwashing liquid etc etc). Gently whizz in a blender.

the idea of the soap products is that it forms a coating on the insects and suffocates them......

yea i get them too on my vegies and in the worm compost, they dont make holes on my leaves though....probably spider mites i'd say but every spider mite i've seen is usually white.

get some chillies and garlic, blend it and strain it into a sprayer bottle mixed with water and spray your plants that will see them off i reckon. not my idea someone just posted that yesterday.

Spider mites are virtually impossible to see as they are tiny. the yellowing isnt a sign of mites or any pest that i know of. Discolouration of leaves is a sign of water/nutrition issues normally.

Still, if you find anything thats eating it the chilli spray works a treat so long as you add a decent amount of soap to make it stick tot he plants.

Either that or vegetable oil mix with soap (otherwise known as white oil).

2 cups vegie oil with 1/2 cup liquid soap (hand stuff or dishwashing liquid etc etc). Gently whizz in a blender.

the idea of the soap products is that it forms a coating on the insects and suffocates them......

The yellow look is from the fact I didn't adjust the white balance on the images, they're actually a nice green colour in real life. I'll give the spray a go and see if it helps. Would spider mite damage look anything like what the pics show?

Spider mites are virtually impossible to see as they are tiny.

what about that silk sort of web/coocon they spin you can usually spot that. Ive seen a plant demolished by mites (not a hop plant) and when they are inabudance you can see them.

Spider mites don't cause holes in leaves, instead they lead to the leaf turning spotty yellow (chlorosis). Any sort of defoliation like in the photos is likely caused by caterpillars or a beetle. Earwigs also. Some of these feed at night so maybe check with a torch. Anyway, I doubt such defoliation would do any real damage to dent plant growth. If you want to control the pest, find out what pest you have first.

Good luck.
L.

Spider mites don't cause holes in leaves, instead they lead to the leaf turning spotty yellow (chlorosis). Any sort of defoliation like in the photos is likely caused by caterpillars or a beetle. Earwigs also. Some of these feed at night so maybe check with a torch. Anyway, I doubt such defoliation would do any real damage to dent plant growth. If you want to control the pest, find out what pest you have first.

Good luck.
L.

Thanks for the info, glad to know that it won't have too much of an impact on the growing plant. I'll check tonight with a torch and see what I can find.

Mine problem was not insects but Buddy the Labrador - these plants are tough buggar. 8 weeks ago Buddy dug up my newplant from Nev and gave it a good chew. I thought it was toast and put it back into the ground with a prayer.

Low and behold, i have shoots coming out the ground....

Scotty

Good luck.
L.

ahhh someone who knows! biggups thats great advice.

barls i'd love to see where and what that string goes up to. very neat setup.
well here is a pic of the set up from last year the only thing thats changed is the top string is now the plastic coated wire and there are more lines and its now a solid lattice fence.
they are 4m treated pine logs sunk in .8 of a meter and concreted in. there is a pulley at the top of the post.
15072007034.jpg

15072007035.jpg

15072007036.jpg

mine are now about half a meter high now.

Awesome setup mate, makes mine in a pot look piss poor.

barls - ace setup there!

I was fortunate enough to exchange some brews for some POR from Boston on the weekend. Many Thanks Jeff!

They shall stay in pots as we are in a rental townhouse... :icon_cheers:

It certainly does make gardening more interesting...

Cheers.

My chinook has found the trellis and is really starting to take off now
HopClimbing.jpg
HopClimb.jpg

Mine was also just puttering along. Tried to train it to a plastic pole - no luck. Tried to train it to a rope - no luck. Put some green plastic trellace net stuff against the wall and it started making love to it straight away :D

Actively twirling its way up it now. Already had to add another piece. Really encouraged growth.

a couplemine were workintheir way up the wire that was behind the pots , have just put up some rope for it to climb up on, moved it from the wire to the rope , a few days of sunshine and they will be up and away
one has grown a couple of inches since yesterday mornin

Seen any snail or slug trails around them at all ???

No slugs or snail tracks but there's a few slater things (those bugs that roll up into balls).

Out of desperation I'm digging both the hops up and putting them in pots in the sunniest part of the yard with a good dose of insect spray and fertilizer.

Very disappointed that I have nothing to show from my hops

Have a good look around for slaters to.
Found the little bastards havin a field day on mine, they seemed to be falling asleep after eating the leaves lol
My plants were growing slow so I put a 2 litter coke bottle cut off upside down on it like a glass house. Made a massive difference in the growth rate.

ok,

My cascade has gone nuts - now about 2.5m high (1 bine) and the other 2 are coming up just behind it.

A) Is it ok to trim and keep at that height?
B) Or should I someone make something for them to grow along?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back