2008 Hag Xmas In July Case Swap - Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried a couple of bottles of my beer lately and I am sorry to say that it has definately gone south recently. Has a vinegar like taste to it. I am really sorry for the way this beer has turned out. Hopefully future attempts will show that i am improving.
Cheers
Scott.
is it in every bottle or just a few?

I'll taste it first. It may appeal, or may be manky.
We'll see!

If you want to drink the QWB (QuadrupelWeizenBock), it has come good, and was tasting well at Sydney last weekend. Served chill or warm, it was a treat. Whoever got my large bottle of it at Ashbury Scout Hall, I'd like the bottle back and some feedback on the style I should enter a comp with it. Maybe an Imperial Weissbier?

Anyway, the point is, that the beer is good now. Why wait. I don't like many aged wheat beers, but I'll be happy to brew a good keeping beer, with any ingredients. I must be due for an annual tasting of the Old ale. I think it's 5 yrs old and at 13%+, may still have some life in it yet, especially if the samples are promising.

3 - Pok's ******* lager

Pale copper, brilliant clarity, big white head which won't quit. Toasty melanoidins on the nose, a hint of caramel and some spicy noble hop. Good malt profile with a short finish. The bitterness seems well balanced but is played up by the high carbonation. The mouthfeel is also dominated by the carbonation - the big prickly bubbles foam up in the mouth and lend a harshness to the beer. The finish is dry and refreshing. Great drinking lager thanks Pok, a little less priming sugar in the bottle would have made it perfect. Cheers.

Goathearders Maibock.

Mate......... i love it. Its almost identical to the one i brewed that went down hill with an infection after bottled. Its exactly what i picture a Maibock to be!

Im my book........... Perfect!

I loved it. Washed down all the dust from the 12 kg of grain i just cracked perfectly :)

Cheers

I have only had one beer tonight, my last case swap beer (except an extra one of mine and loftboys that I’m aging) but boy what a beer. It has that great weizenbock aroma and a beautiful tight white head that is quite persistent given the alcohol content. Then you taste it and realise why the head sticks around so long, it has a huge body but is well balanced you only notice the high alcohol content when you try to do anything except sit still.

Thanks

Offline (posting under the influence, all care taken-no responsibility)

I also have some other less then perfect ‘critics’ available that I may post if drunk enough

Edit: i can't spell drunk or sober

Edit: i can't spell drunk or sober
Well it looks like you can spell both, but should take care with your Capitals for proper nouns.

BTW, was that Schooey's or my Weizenbock, or Quadrupelbock as I have taken to calling it, but it also aspires to be a wheat wine. Most people who taste it are enjoying it.

I sampled Trent's deadly double tonight, and they may have been past their prime with little hoppiness and some skunk. That'll teach me not to drink them in a timely manner.

Punter, just cracked your bottle open, and that beer is almost dead flat. Not even a sigh upon opening, after all this time. The brew is a little sweet, with a bitey bitterness in the aftertaste. True, it's not a champion beer, but I haven't brewed any winners this year either, as it turns out.
I'll struggle through, or I can cap it and send it back...but that would just be rude :lol: . Looking forward to your next swap beer, and I promise to drink it when I'm told.

Beerz
Les

I have saved my bottle of Schmicks winter warmer for when it gets cooler. Its sitting in an old safe pit in the concrete in my garage.

hope it keeps.

cheers

I couldn't help drinking mine Tony, great drop. I reckon it will keep.

I drank mine too, it was a fantastic beer. I reminisced the flavours a week or two ago when I washed the label off the empty ready for another swap

I still have most of my beers (I'm ashamed to say, or write...in fact).
I drank the early ones and forgot the rest until now.

I still have Tony's beer which should be well-manky by now, if it was ever going to be. I'll provide feedback sometime next week. Should I chill it for a few days first?

I was saving the Winter warmer for a taste with my <vent> stinking-arsed boss but his recent performance has not impressed me. I will drink it with other friends. Real friends! </vent> :lol:

Can you really get away with such libel by putting an LOL after it? Most likely so..., but the debate rages.

well im aging mine.

cant wait till july next year..... will crack it then and post the rusults

cheers

Ahhh my last ever swap beer

Les...... mine ended up being ok actually...... the trippel that is if that was the beer i entered.

not the best trippel..... a but thin and lacking malt backbone but ok non the less.

look forward to your honnest comments mate

cheers

well im aging mine.

cant wait till july next year..... will crack it then and post the rusults

cheers

Ahhh my last ever swap beer

Les...... mine ended up being ok actually...... the trippel that is if that was the beer i entered.

not the best trippel..... a but thin and lacking malt backbone but ok non the less.

look forward to your honnest comments mate

cheers
Cheers. I'll get on that job soon enough, but not tonight. It might actually respond to a little sourness. A light lacto perhaps, from a sour mash of 5-10% of the grain. You may need the house for 3 days alone to pull one of these off, or you can sour it right up by adjusting a boiler to a temp in the low fifties, and let it sit (open or covered, depending on what else you want to invite. The wort will be boiled before it is fermented, and any bugs would not make it, unless you have a new Superbug at your place that defies boiling by sealing itself into a protein shell when boiled and remaining spores or fungi remain shielded inside the shell, retaining vitality.

Les out

G'day HAGgers

As requested I added the recipe for the Winter Warmer to the recipe DB

My only comments are to mash for a light body. FG should be pretty low (1.008 - 1.010) from the sucrose addition

This one used pils malt base grain but marris otter works well also.

Enjoy. :chug:

Ok, so I tasted some ordinary beer tonight. The American wheat sample (current swap-beer) was OK, but a bit yeasty and sulfury. That should come right in the bottle after racking.

No, I'm talking about the two strong contenders for best beer of the swap, Schooey and the other Tony. Coincidence? Probably ... :lol:

Schooey, your dark wheat ale hasn't aged well. The malt appears to be gone (although I may have a high threshold for maltiness). The dark grains have become astringent. My last Arrogant that I gave to bigfridge for the BJCP tastings last year, was very bitey and astringent (for which I may have a low threshold). Was probably overly bitter due to astringency. As you age a beer with W3068, the banana and fruit and malt go away. The phenolics stay and potentiate the bitterness, with age.
Not really a quality to strive for. Maybe my Quadrupel Wheat is still fruity due to excess hops or XS yeast, as it's not a pleasing fruitiness. Yet I didn't taste that one tonight, but in the last two weeks. If you're saving this beer, it's still OK now, but you may have trouble coming back for the second glass. That may be due to a little bicarb in the mash. low carbonate is better for Weizens, IIRC. (May need to consult the Warner Wheatbeer book).
How difficult is it to scan a book into pdf files? I'd like a copy of it for my USB drive.
Tony showed me that it's a good idea to take your thumb drive with you where there might be a need to use your Promash or Beersmith to calc up a quick recipe.
That leads me to Tony's beer.
I mentioned previously that a little lacto might add character to it? I get a little lacto in there with initial faecal smells, which are great in a lambic or a Rodenbach clone. OMG you could make a great Rodenbach clone with that yeast combo. The spicy coriander aroma and flavour and the malt are good for a Tripel; and the world needs more of that. The beer shows some phenolics and some low to medium acidity. I hope that helps with your quest to improve your beer. We got your back and are waiting for some sheep shagging beer from you.
I'm washing my mouth out with a mild ale made with W1187. It has low astringency, but it's very dry, so I think some people see that as acidic. There's a nice breadiness and some fruit and choc. Nice malty background with MO and some Fuggles in the aroma and flavour, and some EKG for complexity. Fuggles can be quite earthy sometimes, but this beer is dry, easy-drinking, torrefied wheat in the background and I shall bring some tomorrow to the swap.

Who's gonna be there? I'll be on deck, if I survive the brick moving at my mate's place tomorrow. He's paying us in snags, Budvar and Weihenstephan Kristal. Nice guy. We have trained him well.
Who's bringing any tasting beer. Could be a harsh room, but the feedback is free! :beerbang:

old uncle Lez :p

hi guys, just a little confused about this whole swap (first time), i dropped mine off at MHB and was labelled No 7, as is in the original list;

1. Loftboy - Fat ******* Ale (Scottish Export 80/-)
2. Schooey - Dunkel Weizenbock^2, Wyeast 3068, 6.3% abv, Bottled Mar 08, drink now
3. Pok - Bastardised Lager....other info unknown off the top of my head.
4. Peve - Coriander Porter - 6.3%, S-04
5. Leeboy - Munich Dunkel Wyeast Munich Lager yeast
6. Shmick - Aussie Winter Warmer strong ale
7. goatherder - Maibock. S-189, 6.4% abv. Bottled 22/6.
8. Les the Weizguy - Heller Weizenbock 9.8% ABV (Bottled 24/7/08 - I recommend 3-12 months b4 drinking) W3638
9. Tony - a hazy Belgian Trippel
10. Punter- Quaffing Pilsner WY2278 Czech Pils. (Bottled 25/7/08 so leave for a month)
11. nooch - Maibock, Wyeast 2487VSS Hella-Bock, 6.3% abv.
12. Trent - English Ordinary Bitter in stubbies, showcasing the same wort with 2 different yeasts - WY1028 and WY1098. No yeast farming available, I added a fresh slug of 1098 to each beer at priming. ready to drink.
13. Keith - Stout ~5.5%, Wyeast 1028 London Ale (Bottled 25.07.08, Kegged Oct. 07, Brewed Sept. 07). DRINK NOW.
14. Offline - Scottish Ale Export 80 Wyeast 1728 (Bottled 22.07.08 ~ 6% ABV)
15. Colin - Vienna Lager 5.5% ABV, S-189, Carbonated but still needs a month or so in the fridge before drinking.
17. Onescooter - Schwartzbier. (Bottled May 07, S189, 6.1%, Recipe from Brewing Classis Styles)
23. backyard brewer - Georgetown/India Pale Ale. High hopped for that long boat journey from the lounge to the fridge...
5.8% 60 IBU ish

now i see the tasting list and mine has been removed...........? whats the go??

2. Schooey - Dunkel Weizenbock^2, Wyeast 3068, 6.3% abv, Bottled Mar 08, drink now
8. Les the Weizguy - Heller Weizenbock 9.8% ABV (Bottled 24/7/08 - I recommend 3-12 months b4 drinking) W3638
10. Punter- Quaffing Pilsner WY2278 Czech Pils. (Bottled 25/7/08 so leave for a month)
12. Trent - English Ordinary Bitter in stubbies, showcasing the same wort with 2 different yeasts - WY1028 and WY1098. No yeast farming available, I added a fresh slug of 1098 to each beer at priming. ready to drink.
13. Keith - Stout ~5.5%, Wyeast 1028 London Ale (Bottled 25.07.08, Kegged Oct. 07, Brewed Sept. 07). DRINK NOW.
15. Colin - Vienna Lager 5.5% ABV, S-189, Carbonated but still needs a month or so in the fridge before drinking.
17. Onescooter - Schwartzbier. (Bottled May 07, S189, 6.1%, Recipe from Brewing Classis Styles)
23. backyard brewer - Georgetown/India Pale Ale. High hopped for that long boat journey from the lounge to the fridge...
5.8% 60 IBU ish

Hi BB,

I can understand your confusion - you are looking at the wrong swap :eek:

You are in the HAG Christmas swap but this discussion is about the one that happened last July.

HTH,
Dave

hi guys, just a little confused about this whole swap (first time), i dropped mine off at MHB and was labelled No 7, as is in the original list;

5.8% 60 IBU ish

now i see the tasting list and mine has been removed...........? whats the go??

5.8% 60 IBU ish

Schooey, your dark wheat ale hasn't aged well. The malt appears to be gone (although I may have a high threshold for maltiness). The dark grains have become astringent. My last Arrogant that I gave to bigfridge for the BJCP tastings last year, was very bitey and astringent (for which I may have a low threshold). Was probably overly bitter due to astringency. As you age a beer with W3068, the banana and fruit and malt go away. The phenolics stay and potentiate the bitterness, with age.
Not really a quality to strive for. Maybe my Quadrupel Wheat is still fruity due to excess hops or XS yeast, as it's not a pleasing fruitiness. Yet I didn't taste that one tonight, but in the last two weeks. If you're saving this beer, it's still OK now, but you may have trouble coming back for the second glass. That may be due to a little bicarb in the mash. low carbonate is better for Weizens, IIRC. (May need to consult the Warner Wheatbeer book).

I'd drunk all the remainder long ago, Les. It was bottled in March and I didn't think it would age all that well, but still glad for the feedback, thanks!

8. Les the Weizguy - Heller Weizenbock 9.8% ABV

Finally got around to cracking this one tonight & it was wort the wait.

Wonderful toffee aroma on opening. Pours with a nice long lasting head & perfect carbonation. Lovely malt focused body with enough bitterness to balance it out. No fusel alcohol flavour & it hides the 9.8% ABV very well.

Well done Les - now that's more like it ! :beerbang:

Dave.

Latest posts

Back