2008 Hag Xmas Case Swap - Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had Offline's Wild Mild last night. I admit that when I first saw you post the beer name I was secretly hoping for a funky spontaneously fermented number. Alas, it was not to be. Anyway, your beer was very tasty. Great malt profile with just the right amount of roast. I agree with a previous comment that it finished a bit sweet - dry him out and it will make the perfect session beer.

1. n00ch - Doppelbock - Bottled 12/12/08 well aged but bottled today so leave to carb up - 9.1%ABV - Wyeast VSS Hella Bock.
2. Schooey - Schwarzbier - Bottled 12-12-08, leave for two weeks to carb and throw in the fridge to condition for a bit, it's a bit under attenuated and I'd hate for someone to get an exploder
4. Leeboy - Imperial Porter Bottled (DRINK MID-DECEMBER)
5. Les (Weizguy) - Am blonde wheat (with Amarillo) Well-aged, but just bottled today. Allow 2 weeks to carb at room temp YeastLabs Am Ale yeast
6. The Ol' Boozeroony - Bastardised Amber Ale - Bottled 12/12/08 Should be good for NYE... Australian Style Amber with a hint of the US of A. 5.6% ABV before priming so enjoy responsibly...

7. balconybrewer - Witbier
9. Rurik - Mild -5.2% (I think have to find the brew note book) - Bottled two weeks, drink from now to mid January.

10 MHB - Dark Wheat Double Bock Had a taste yesterday the 9% abv is still a bit noticeable but its coming along nicely, its going to take a while to peak so I think you should drink this one last.

11 Offline - The Wild Mild, bottled 25/11/08
12 Shmick - Hefeweizen (maybe raspberry)
13 goatherder - Munich Dunkel, Wyeast 2206, 4.7% abv. Bottled 29/11/2008. Leave it a week or two after the swap to carb.
14 Loftboy - Yankee Doodle Weizen (American Wheat). Bottled 15/11/08, 4.3% ABV, WY2565 Klsch.
15 Peve - Porter (revised coriander ) - the revision has left very little coriander. Oh Well!!
16. Head - Dusseldorf Altbier
18 - Trent - AIPA - 7.6% so dont go driving afterwards.
19. Fingolfin - Witbier, bottled 06.12.08.
20. BigFridge - Klsch
21. Punter- Choc Porter- WY1028
22. Michael Mosely - not really sure, but probably beer
23. HarryB - Mild APA (bright ale clone with a twist)
24. fear_n_loath - Euro Lager
25. Loftboy/MauriceOz - Winding Creek APA (SNPA style APA). Bottled 25/11/08, 4.5% ABV, US-05.

G'day All

I'm easing my way into holiday mode so I've been a little slack in the review dept.

I've only had couple so far but all have been good verging on excellent.

Trent's AIPA was first up (straight after the swap as per instructions). I thought it had really good fresh hop flavour and aroma up front, only slightly cloudy with a sturdy malt body and long slightly cloying finish. Fluffy white head hung around for the entire glass. Not detracting from a good beer but If anything it was a little darker and sweeter than I would have expected of an AIPA - more like and English style. I remember thinking I would cut back on the crystal a little and sub some flaked maize for a drier finish but I don't know your recipe so I'm only guessing. All up a good beer with very well hidden 7.6%.

Loftboy's American wheat - Knowing you set out to make an easy drinking well balanced Summer beer I think you have more than suceeded. Hop / malt balance was great with a light body and dry finish. Just a hint of malt flavour and restrained hopping held my interest long enough and the botle emptied before I knew it. Well done.

Leeboy's Imperial Porter - Went very well with a hickory smoked shoulder of pork I cooked last night. This one was really good. I loved the hop flavour that just kind of snuck up on every mouthfull before the lingering dark malt took over in the finish. I'm not sure what the ABV was but it blended well with the dark fruit for a fantastically smooth dark beer.

Shmick's Raspberry Hefeweizen - I usually don't review my own as I'm too critical and never satisfied but I've had 2 samples now and it wouldn't be far from ready. Initially (2 days after the swap) it was a bit syrupy and undercarbed but the second sample (5 days ago) had dried out a little and was least holding a head. The Weizen flavours form the WY3068 have started to come through now and the body is thinning to drinkable levels. The unusual pink hue is my favourite part though. I would be interested to see how it conditions over the next few weeks if anybody is kind enough to post a few comments.

Cheers and all the best for Christmas. :icon_cheers:

wyeast 3944 for this one, mine was carbed ok as well so hopefull there was only one which was a bit off, the infection 'taste' that leeboy might be refering to could be coming from the yeast, fermented fairly high to produce some esters as no citrus additives we included.

keep the feedback coming (i am yet to pick up my case but cant wait)

I tried BB's # 7 Witbier and agree with Lee that it is a great wit, but I must have been lucky as mine was perfectly carbonated - no sign of infection.

While I really enjoyed it I didn't get much orange or coriander either. I am a bit biased as I have only ever used Wyeast, but I find that this yeast provides a fair amount of the wit character.

What yeast did you use BB ?

BB, thanks for sharing this delicious beer.

Dave

11 Offline - The Wild Mild, bottled 25/11/08

A dark reddish brown that was wonderfully clear with a medium sized head that lasted for the whole beer. It was very highly carbed (probably the 'wildness' :p )
A definite nuttiness was apparent in aroma with some yeastiness in the background.
Tasting it, I got a chocolate nutty flavour that reminded me of a Cadbury's Fruit 'n' Nut without the Fruit.
I finished it with my Chicken curry that emphasised a real roastiness.
A light bodied and enjoyable beer that i could drink several of. My only 'wish' is for slightly more body.
Thanks for the beer Offline!!

Pete

Edit: Fix typos

14 Loftboy - Yankee Doodle Weizen (American Wheat). Bottled 15/11/08, 4.3% ABV, WY2565 Klsch

This one poured a lovely pale straw colour. Low to average carbonation meant that the head disappeared very quickly. Fantastic clarity on this one as you would expect.

Smells of sweet grains. I didn't pick up anything else other than some distant fruity esters.

Tasted this one and it hit the spot. Super clean and fairly dry. Perhaps a little sweetness still evident. I was after a beer that would drink well, and this one sure does. Quite a nice beer that on a 30 degree night here in waratah is great.

I'm suprised at how good the clarity is. I note that you used Kolsch yeast and that really suprises me just how well flocculated the yeast must of been. In my experience with this yeast. Is it is firstly fantastic but I havne't ended up quite this clear before. I'm jealous of your clarity in this one. My kolsches aren't that clean.

Thanks for the beer very nice. Mine was a tad low on carbonation though. But that could be because I drank from a glass just out the dishwasher so I probably have only myself to blame for that. The test will be the second glass now that I have the glass cooled and detergent free.

Leeboy's Imperial Porter - Went very well with a hickory smoked shoulder of pork I cooked last night. This one was really good. I loved the hop flavour that just kind of snuck up on every mouthfull before the lingering dark malt took over in the finish. I'm not sure what the ABV was but it blended well with the dark fruit for a fantastically smooth dark beer.

Thanks for the review shmick. Glad you liked this one. It comes in at 7.4% abv. So its not on the high end of the imperial range by any stretch of the imagination. Probably only just one the low end. Just wanted to indicate that this is my big angry / flavour packed porter.

Anyway Loftboy your American wheat 2nd pour was still low carb/no head. I'm sure it is probably only me that gets one like it.
Lee

7. balconybrewer - Witbier

I'm still wearing off the curry so bear with me, my nose and tongue may be broken!!

A 'musty' (not unpleasant) honey aroma with a hint of orange??
Pale straw in colour with some haze, it had a goodly-sized dense head that refused to disappear.

Strong initial sweetness followed quickly by an earthy hop flavour that softens the effect somewhat. A little tartness was noticeable. I think I detected a little 'zing' at the finish from the carbonation. The finish was quite dry which I found quite refreshing.

Light bodied, I found this beer well made and very moreish.

Thanks BB

Pete

I'm suprised at how good the clarity is. I note that you used Kolsch yeast and that really suprises me just how well flocculated the yeast must of been. In my experience with this yeast. Is it is firstly fantastic but I havne't ended up quite this clear before. I'm jealous of your clarity in this one. My kolsches aren't that clean.

Thanks for the beer very nice. Mine was a tad low on carbonation though. But that could be because I drank from a glass just out the dishwasher so I probably have only myself to blame for that. The test will be the second glass now that I have the glass cooled and detergent free.

Leeboy,

Thanks for the feedback.

The way I got the yeast to clear was 2 weeks in primary & then into cubes, which sat in the freezer at about 3 or 4 deg C for another 2 weeks. I wasn't too worried if the batch came out cloudy, after all it is a wheatie.

This was my first time with the Kolsch yeast & really impressed with the subtle maltiness it adds to the beer. Can't wait to try it again.

Glad you enjoyed it.

David.

I tried Trent's AIPA last night. I agree with you Trent, it's probably a bit malty for style. That being said, I'm not all that concerned about styles when a beer tastes this good. The hops were great and I loved the big malty flavour. It was incredibly drinkable for it's size and hid the alcohol well. Top beer thanks mate.

Hey Scott
Glad that ya liked my AIPA. I had another one tonight, and it was little warmer, clear as a bell - so maybe you get chill haze with Maris even after a 90 min boil! Anyway, went for xmas drinks to a friends tonight and tried

#12 SHMICKS RASPBERRY SISSYWEIZEN
Mate, not too much I can say about this one really, as I didnt take notes. My friends girlfriend is a german who loves a good hefe, so I shared the bottle with her, and she thought it was excellent. Matter of fact, so did I. It wasnt as pink as I was expecting, but there was definitely a pink hue to it. Banana, clove and raspberry on the nose and palate, the raspberry added a moderate tartness to it, but it was a great, well balanced beer, and the base beer showed through well. Couldnt really fault it, fantastically executed beer, in a unusual style that could have been SO easy to screw up.
Well done mate, very impressed.
All the best
Trent

I am yet to try my contribution, but I thought I would just say that it has been in the bottle for over a month now, so the hops are probably on their way out - I would drink #18 AIPA sooner rather than later.
trent
I read this as a "never fresher than now" message, so I tucked in tonight.
I like the balance. It reminds me of an English IPA, rather than an over-hopped and/or unbalanced American version.
I believe that it tastes better as it warms, too.

Very enjoyable, balanced and hoppy with great malt/sweetness balance.
I tip my hat to you, and I know you respect that. This has potential BoS all over it, IMO.

Thanks for sharing. Tip my beer down the sink. I'll try another beer soon, and I owe you all one. It's been a rough patch.
The appropriate saying is " If you don't have the time to make a great beer, you wont." shoot me. I'm hoping for better in 2009.

Les-O

7. Balconybrewer Witbier

22/12/08 I really enjoyed this beer, reminded me of the few commercial examples I have tried. I even had the last few mouthfuls with some mango I had with dinner. I will have to brew a witbier some time.

Thanks Bb

18 - Trent - AIPA - 7.6% so dont go driving afterwards.

22/12/08 Slightly cloudy deep amber colour with a lasting head. It definitely is malty for an AIPA, but is well balanced with American hops and hides the alcohol content well. A very drinkable beer, so much so I shared the second bottle of I had with family on Christmas.

Cheers Trent

20. BigFridge - Klsch, bottled 13.12.08 OG 1.047 BG 1.012 4.6% ABV 26IBU Wyeast 2565

23/12/08 I drank this one at a BBQ, I didnt know whose or what style it was (I only had 2 cold in the fridge so I grabbed them on the way out the door). Being a bbq I didnt take any notes, and not knowing what style either I was at a loss. So I just had to enjoy this beer as is,

Cheers BigFridge

2. Schooey - Schwarzbier - Bottled 12-12-08, leave for two weeks to carb and throw in the fridge to condition for a bit, it's a bit under attenuated and I'd hate for someone to get an exploder

23/12/08 Beautiful deep, deep, ruby colour that is crystal clear. Carbonation is medium and tan head didnt hang around long, this could just be because I jumped the gun a little with drinking this one (but I have 2 so I will see how it ages).
Low hop and roast malt aroma. Flavour initially reminded me of sour cherries that but finishes with a low roast flavour.

Thanks Schooey

4. Leeboy - Imperial Porter Bottled (DRINK MID-DECEMBER)

25/12/08 Another BBQ beer for me, so no notes taken. And I didnt know what style it was either. From memory it was extremely dark in colour with a lasting tan head. I got some fruity esters (cherries among others, but this could just be me I seem to be smelling or tasting cherries in a lot of peoples beers). Big body that finished dry from memory.

Thanks Lee

9. Rurik - Mild -5.2% (I think have to find the brew note book) - Bottled two weeks, drink from now to mid January.

27/12/08 Dark brown in colour, cloudy, with a light coloured head that lasts for the whole glass, has a fair bit of flavour and aroma for a mild. Initially I got a hint of apples that disappeared quickly on the pallet and vanished completely once the beer had warmed a little. I will keep the second bottle for later to see how it matures.

thanks Rurik

1. n00ch - Doppelbock - Bottled 12/12/08 well aged but bottled today so leave to carb up - 9.1%ABV - Wyeast VSS Hella Bock.

27/12/08 Beautiful ruby colour with a creamy light tan head that does not make it to the end of the glass or maybe I just drink too slow. The alcohol comes through in the aroma and taste, not too over powering but very noticeable. Low hop aroma and hop taste with medium carbonation. Malt driven, I have not tried any commercial examples of this style so it looks like more homework for me. I probably should have left this beer for a while given its style, % and date of bottling.

Thanks n00ch

Edit: Don’t drive/post straight after this one

Im away for the next week or so in sort of a beer and internet dead spot but I cant wait to get back and try some more of this years case swap, so far they have all been great beers.

Back