2006 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are mine so far.

The one on the top left is a Tettnang, top right is EKG. The one on the bottom is a cascade, not much there but there is a nice thick bine just broken the surface.

As for the POR in the front yard I had to take an axe to it and free some car it had wrapped itself around :lol: .
Seriosly though the POR has so many shoots coming up.

All these will be transplanted at another location within the next 2-3 weeks.

heers
johnno

rhizomes.JPG

:D YES my Chinook and Goldings are up two weeks to the day, both one and a half inches high [I know old fart] and were not there in the morning :blink: Photo to follow this week.
Could not spell horticulturalist last week now I is one :D :D .

Third pint edit.

Hey TS, I have a Mt hood and Wurtemberger. I planted them three weeks ago.
The Wurtemberger is just poking its first shoot through, but the Mt hood came up within days of planting and now has 10 shoots with the longest over a ft long. I am expecting great things ;)

It's great to hear that the Mt Hood has good vigour, so if mine isn't up in a day or two it'll get a stern talking to :lol:

At the rate yours is going, I'd expect great things too. Did you use a particular potting mix or steroids?

Cheers for the info :beer:

TS

Hey TS, I just bought the cheapest potting mix, then mixed it with beach sand, composted cow manure, dynamic lifter, blood and bone with trace elements and pot ash. Thats all :blink:

My 3 year old POR has just this week decided to make an appearance :beer: Spring has sprung!
Cheers
Steve

my 2 year old tettnang has just began to shoot. it must be warming up enough now so hopefully it will go well this season.

My tiny columbus rhizome has not done anything really yet so im not expecting any flowers first season.

Last posted August 7th:

DSCF5477_1Small.jpg

Taken Today:

WurtembergerSm.jpg

Bloody Norah! 137cm not bad for 26 days!

!!!IT'S ALIVE Muhahahahaaaaa!!!

Two weeks to the day of planting and she has sprung forth :super:

Spring has sprung the grass has riz, I wounder where the birdies is. Where ever they are, they better stay the f*#k away from my Hops :angry:

Not quite worth the photo, but I'm proud of the new addition to the family.
Projects_005.jpgProjects_006.jpg

Cheers :beer:

TS

Willamette is up! Just crawled around outside in the dark to sneak a peek.

Oddly enough though my Chinook with the big long turgid rhizome is still dormant while the puny little 2-inch Willamette has beaten it to sunlight.

willamette.jpg

Have been meaning to do this for a while. These photos were taken on Sunday, which wasn't a particularly wam day and hence not the best for hop growth. Taken at 2 hour intervals. The red marks on the bamboo stick are daily heights, recorded over the last 5 or 6 days.

If someone could turn them into a GIF animation the effect is a lot better.

7.30 am
IMGP0405.JPG

9.30 am
IMGP0407.JPG

11.30 am
IMGP0409.JPG

1.30 pm
IMGP0411.JPG

3.30 pm
IMGP0413.JPG

5.30 pm
IMGP0415.JPG

Overall, one of this little critters slower growing days - only got 15 mm out of it!

Edit: oh yeah, and this little sucker is 3 weeks old!

Chatty

Look at the rotation of the Chatty's Bines. Take note of the growing instructions "Wind the shoots in a clockwise direction (looking from the top) around the string otherwise it will not climb effectively" Have you noticed which way yours have climbed naturally?

Mine are all right hand, Chatty's appear to be climbing in a left hand twist.

Question: Do male plants climb in one direction and Female in another, what are the thoughts of the growers on this forum?

Looking from on top of the stake the plant is indeed growing in a clock wise direction. The plant naturally grew in that direction so i'm not going to complain. :p

Chatty

Question: Do male plants climb in one direction and Female in another, what are the thoughts of the growers on this forum?

Maybe Northern and Southern Hemisphere species / Stocks grow in opposite directions. Although I would have been more likely to predict that plants would grow in a single direction dependant on which hemisphere they are in.

Screwtop, are you saying that yours are growing anticlockwise when viewed from above?

ATOMT

Maybe Northern and Southern Hemisphere species / Stocks grow in opposite directions. Although I would have been more likely to predict that plants would grow in a single direction dependant on which hemisphere they are in.

Screwtop, are you saying that yours are growing anticlockwise when viewed from above?

ATOMT

No, Just trying to determine their sex! The flowers of the female hop plant are more sought after.

Dont worry about it.
Mine grew in every direction last season. :lol:

cheers
johnno

every_direction.JPG

No, Just trying to determine their sex! The flowers of the female hop plant is more sought after.

Well if you grew your plants from seed this is something that can only be found out near harvest time, but if you grew the plant from a pedigree root stock, its a female.

Cheers TS

P.S. I'm no expert though ;)

Anyone in Sydney have plants sprouting yet?

My 2 new rhizomes for this year came up about a week or so ago.

The 3 plants from last season have yet to come up. Im starting to loose hope of them coming back up, is there anything I can do to wake them?

No, Just trying to determine their sex! The flowers of the female hop plant is more sought after.

Ahhh. As are the female flowers of a close relative of the Hop.

My Mt Hood Has just poked out of the soil last Friday. No sign of my Chinook yet.

ATOMT

No male plants anywhere - so no polinated seeds - so no cross polination of commercial crops - Thats why we grow then from cuttings/rhizomes. To stop above happening...

Asher for now

Latest posts

Back