$20 (aud) Mash Tun Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malted

Humdinger
Reaction score
G'day all,
as a newbie to the game, I thought I'd try a partial mash brew as I have never brewed with grain before. So I thought I'd try a budget build of a mash tun, just to see if I might get a taste for the process. I know it has many flaws, but hey less than TWENTY BUCKS to build! It served it's purpose and let me have a go without shelling out heaps of cash for something I wasn't sure if I wanted to pursue.

So I started with a food grade plastic pail (bucket in Aussie speak), drilled a hole in it as low as I could, inserted a fermenter tap, made a nut for the tap from a 19mm female-female plastic fitting from Bunnings (aka cut a section off the internal threaded tube to make the desired sized nut), made a false bottom above the tap from a second lid cut down and with holes drilled in it (pushed down for a snug fit; had to trim it a few times to get the correct size), wrapped it all up in some foil bubble wrap that I kept from a package I had posted to me, then wrapped it in a blanket. Time for some pics:

6zS_r.jpg
">
The budget mash bucket with the insulation layer.

6zBxr.jpg
">
On the left is the cut down and drilled lid for the false bottom above the tap and on the right a virginal lid to be used as, well, a lid :D
Both lids are up the same way, just with the lip cut off the one on the left it appears to be NOT up the same way as the one on the right.

So how did it work?
Well it seemed to work OK. I wanted to mash at 68 degrees so I heated a pot of water on the stove until it hit 80 degrees (digital thermometer), dropped it over the grain in the bodgit & leggit mash tun, gave a good old stir, put an unmolested lid on it, measured the temp (70 degrees), wrapped it in a blanket and left it for an hour. Ok I couldn't keep away from it and was checking the digital thermometer now and then. It only dropped about 4 degrees over the hour!

So I drained some of the goodness out of it through the tap into a second sterilised bucket and returned it to the mash bucket. A bit of trial and error but I ended up sitting a plastic dish on top of the grain to diffuse the liquid flow & stop it disturbing the grain bed. It seemed to work well; I ended up with hot water going in on top of the grain and coloured wort coming out the tap.
I am kicking myslef for not having dropped the hydromoter in some of the wort (only did after I added other ingredients).

The same pot that heated the water on the stove was then used to boil the wort on the wok burner of my BBQ. Amazingly cheap and easy build that 'seemed' to do the job.

G'day all,
as a newbie to the game, I thought I'd try a partial mash brew as I have never brewed with grain before. So I thought I'd try a budget build of a mash tun, just to see if I might get a taste for the process. I know it has many flaws, but hey less than TWENTY BUCKS to build! It served it's purpose and let me have a go without shelling out heaps of cash for something I wasn't sure if I wanted to pursue.
<snip>
Ok I couldn't keep away from it and was checking the digital thermometer now and then. It only dropped about 4 degrees over the hour!

So I drained some of the goodness out of it through the tap into a second sterilised bucket and returned it to the mash bucket. A bit of trial and error but I ended up sitting a plastic dish on top of the grain to diffuse the liquid flow & stop it disturbing the grain bed. It seemed to work well; I ended up with hot water going in on top of the grain and coloured wort coming out the tap.
I am kicking myslef for not having dropped the hydromoter in some of the wort (only did after I added other ingredients).

The same pot that heated the water on the stove was then used to boil the wort on the wok burner of my BBQ. Amazingly cheap and easy build that 'seemed' to do the job.

Welcome to AG brewing, cause with that setup you can comfortably mash up to about 5kg of grain, which is plenty for a 19-20L batch of 4.5-5%!

My first MT was very similar, must take some photos in the morning, as I sill have it and use it from time to time too. For anything over 6kg I use my 55L esky MT, which really comes into it's own for 8 plus kg lots.

My first, and current, mash tun is made from an old style Coopers kit fermenter. Nice large round top for ease of stirring and fits a 12" (I think it is) false bottom perfectly.
Initially though I had the braid manifold, which after a few sparge issues I covered with two $4 kitchen strainers, one oval and one flat, in a kind of cheap false bottom.

I wrapped mine in an insulated camping mat and it holds temp just fine.

If it wasn't for the fact that didn't use the tap it already had the whole thing would have cost around the $20 mark, as I had the fermenter from a bottle and kit deal a mate and I had gone in one many years ago.

making_beer_005.jpg

Edit: This pic only shows the flat strainer, I must have been between strainers for the oval one, they did wear out...

For about $20 I made my esky mash tun with toilet hose and it loses basically nothing over an hour and is less work. Second hand eskys or even on sale esky's don't cost much.

For about $20 I made my esky mash tun with toilet hose and it loses basically nothing over an hour and is less work. Second hand eskys or even on sale esky's don't cost much.

Toilet hose: Do you mean SS braided hose with the rubber inner removed and the free end crimped?

Latest posts

Back