2 Year Old Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leolass

Reaction score
Hi home brewers.

I have not been on the site for awhile as I gave up on brewing, was to easy to
go and buy a carton, but I'm back into it. :beer:

Have a few questions and Thanks in advance to anyone that can help :)

1. while going through the old brown plastic bottles from the kits I found a full bottle of beer. :p
anyone think it would be OK to chill and drink? :chug: or should I just bin it?

2. Can I make a herb brew? ie: lavender or other. if so where and how would I find instructions?

:icon_cheers:

I'd chill it and enjoy it mate!

I've heard of heather ale etc, I think before hops, herbs and spices were common from what I've heard, one of the other seasoned brewers would be able to help!

I can't guarantee the quality of this brew, but I found a stash of unknown homebrew under the missus' house, it was a minimum 6 years old. Dropped one in the fridge and popped it later on..... worst beer ever!!! :icon_vomit: But I don't know how it was brewed or what ingredients....

If I were you, I'd whack it in the fridge for a couple of days and then sample it, if it smells or tastes off, just turf it. What's the worst that can happen! lol.

How will you ever find out if it's any good unless you do five things:

1. Whack one in the fridge to chill.

2. Take it from the fridge.

3. Open the bottle.

4. Pour it into a glass.

5. Drink and enjoy (or not).

:D in the fridge as I type, I must have been ill to have missed drinking that one. :excl:
will report back with the outcome....IF I am capable :D
Thanks guys, in the process of bottling some now, then making another batch, I so hate the wait.

See how you go, mate. I haven't had much luck with storing for long periods in PET. I get oxidised flavours after about 6 months, but that could be my bad bottling techniques :)

See how you go, mate. I haven't had much luck with storing for long periods in PET. I get oxidised flavours after about 6 months, but that could be my bad bottling techniques :)
Ah.. a re-read noticed the "brown plastic bottle" part!

Maybe not.. if it were glass i'd give it a go, drank a 2 year old stout on the weekend just gone - beautiful!

Drink up! I had what i thought was a dodgy home brew (for scientific purposes!!!) one afternoon and it was pretty good! Not the best... But definately not the worst.
Even if its bad, its better than VB

Really? I've had lots of HB that was worse than warm VB (and I'm not a fan of VB).

To answer what I think the OP is asking - it may taste good or bad but it won't kill you like an out of date tin of salmon.

I have some Russian Imperial Stout that is 130 days old

a fairly rich brew in flavour and 9% alcohol so not a session breer

drink the occasional one now and again

aging well , not unlike a good port

Latest posts

Back