2 Tins Of Coopers Ingredients, Nothing More.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QldKev said:
I've just tried my first 2 can batch, 2 x Farmland Lager and 1/2kg Sugar. I love it, but you must like a fairly bitter beer. :chug: I'm drinking from a keg so it won't be getting the extra few weeks to smoothen out. But a denfinate do again beer.
[post="65987"][/post]​

Would be pretty high in the alcohol content with 3.4kg kit & 1/2kg sugar.

And if you want to try bitter try the farmland draught instead of the lager. I found the lager much less bitter.

They still need some aroma hops added IMO. Bitter and full malt but just lacking. OTOH better than your average kit and kilo by far.

Has anyone tried a 2 can mix of Coopers Pale Ale? I find this not a bad quaffing beer, and a good one for the mates. OTOH it's a bit light on so might be good as a two can. And it's only 18 IBU.

Hey KitchBit<h, did you ever brew your 2 can screamer? How'd it go?

Did you add one sachet of yeast, or both of 'em?

I put down a 23L with 2x cans Coopers Stout, 500g brown sugar and both yeast sachets on Sunday.

Came home on monday at 3pm-ish to find foam literally spewing out of the airlock...and it didn't stop until well after midnight!

Brown sticky mess all throughout the hotbox! :eek:

Smells bloody good though :D

PZ.

Hey Fingerlickin,

Have you racked your 2 can screamer yet? What sort of readings were you getting w/ your hydrometer?

I'm interested to hear how your 2 cans PLUS brown sugar turns out.

A

archimedes24 said:
Hey Fingerlickin,

Have you racked your 2 can screamer yet? What sort of readings were you getting w/ your hydrometer?

I'm interested to hear how your 2 cans PLUS brown sugar turns out.

A
[post="73893"][/post]​

Hey Archimedes,

I tried to find my piece of paper with the readings written on it, but seem to have thrown it out since bottling.

From memory I *think* the FG was somewhere around 1040 :ph34r:

PZ.

*EDIT* - I almost forget (as I'm used to automatically calculating it in my mind now and just have my own "set parameters" ) that my hydrometer reads about 0010 over, so I guess I should have said 1030-ish :)

archimedes24 - you wanted to know how it turned out, so here are the results:

After sitting bottled in a fairly cool cupboard for just under two weeks I decided to ask my commercially-brewed-stout-loving friend Trev over for a taste.

I hassled him bigtime to be honest with me and the only thing he didn't like initially was the extra-strong super-bitter aftertaste (remember 2 cans per brew means double hoppage)...but after about half a pint glass he started to appreciate it :)

Comments were that it has a consistency somewhere in between a Guinness poured from a longneck and one from a can (ones with the widget).

When first poured very carefully and slowly there was no head to be seen and the beer seemed rather flat, so we vigorously stirred our glasses with a spoon and it gained a great head with an accompanyingly better frothy mouth feel. Pouring more quickly and without such restraint as the first pour we found it to give a nice thick brown head and the same thicker drinking quality.

Sufficed to say, I think this mix would be great on tap and cant wait to try it that wayhell, Trev even take a trio of tall ones home with him and hes never asked for that with any of my other beers!

PZ.

p.s. As per my experience (noted earlier) I would consider this a fermenter-in-bathtub-only brew and I won't be doing it again until summer...volcanic fermenters full of stout can make a BIG mess!

tonydav said:
Has anyone tried a 2 can mix of Coopers Pale Ale? I find this not a bad quaffing beer, and a good one for the mates. OTOH it's a bit light on so might be good as a two can. And it's only 18 IBU.
[post="66372"][/post]​

For the price, I'd go an ESB Fresh Wort kit instead.

Just a little update on my August two can stout escapade...

I've still got a case of this stuff left and gave a bottle to a friend for his mum who has been keen on stout for years and years (she's be about 55 now I guess).

Went down there yesterday to grab a grommet for the fridge and she DEMANDED that I supply her with more of the stuff...she loved it :chug: :lol: :beer: :beerbang:

PZ.

(she's be about 55 now I guess) my age :p Stout puts lead in your pencil, wait a sec, no pencil. :blink:

bindi said:
(she's be about 55 now I guess) my age :p Stout puts lead in your pencil, wait a sec, no pencil. :blink:
[post="83143"][/post]​

Hehehe :lol: yeah she got keen on it when pregnant with my mate and his brothers...they used to say an expectant mother should drink a middy of stout a day! :super:

PZ.

When Talking IBU's, is there any site with a list of the IBU of some commercial brands, so that I can get an idea of what a certain IBU level tastes like?

I put down a 23L with 2x cans Coopers Stout, 500g brown sugar and both yeast sachets
did you boil the sugar 1st?
was the stout really dry or malty sweet?

sounds simple, might get my father to try a brew
he's feeding stout into my Grandma and she's 90+

tangent said:
did you boil the sugar 1st?
was the stout really dry or malty sweet?

I dissolved the sugar in a litre of boiled water (in the fermenter), so I didn't really boil it so to speak.

Not particularly dry, but very bitter and exceptionally maltyit has a taste reminiscent of charcoal to it (yes, being a pyro, I have actually eaten charcoal, plus it is supposed to be a good substitute in low-fibre diets :lol: ).

PZ.

Plastic Man said:
I've done it with the Coopers Canadian Blonde as a bit of an experiment and was really surprised at the results. Lovely honey colour and a nice level of bitterness. If you can score a couple of cans of that go for it.

I'm drinking the same right now.

Can't wait 'till the keg runs dry :unsure:

My mates and family seem to like it, but I'm not so keen :(

Not to say it isn't a bad drop, just not to my liking I suppose.

Bitterness is way down compared to any of the other toucans I punch out (I like my beer BITTER...except for lagers) and it's severely lacking in body...but then again, it is a Canadian Bland :lol:

PZ.

Fingerlickin_B said:
Just a little update on my August two can stout escapade...

I found some bottles this afternoon and popped them in the fridge.

Drinking one right now.

OMG this stuff is thick...I'm chewing it :lol:

This beer is just getting better and better with age. I'll do it again with S-04 this time and toss it under the house for a good six months.

No way I'd drink more than four in one session though :party:

PZ.

I just put down a 2 can with coopers stout and bitter to 20L. Yeast is recultured from coopers best extra stout.
Xmas pressies from my inlaws.

Anyone else done this?

Cheers
:beer:
Richard

Out of by sheer inability to find time to brew I put down a double Canadian blonde, and chucked in a 1.5 litre of Hoegaarden Forbiddenfruit starter...tastes a little bland after 3 days, but I might let the temp come up tomorrow, to give me some fruityness..

Fingerlickin_B said:
I put down a 23L with 2x cans Coopers Stout, 500g brown sugar and both yeast sachets on Sunday.

Came home on monday at 3pm-ish to find foam literally spewing out of the airlock...and it didn't stop until well after midnight!

Brown sticky mess all throughout the hotbox! :eek:

Smells bloody good though :D

PZ.
[post="72332"][/post]​

I'll be trying this recipe tomorrow, but with a stout and a dark ale.
Looking forward to the results!

Latest posts

Back