2 Tins Of Coopers Ingredients, Nothing More.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol' matey

Reaction score
I heard someone say it's possible to use 2 tins of coopers lager for example, with no extra sugar or malt. The 2nd tin makes up for the malt/sugar you'd otherwise use. Anyone tried this?

Yes, it works. The beer with have a higher final gravity (ie be less thin) and will be a little more bitter.

Hi Ol' Matey,

If you go here;
http://www.grumpys.com.au/read.php3?id=13472

You will see 314 posts on that subject.

Some, or maybe most, are people talking crap, but the info is there if you read it all.
Your post, I feel, should have been in the kit and kilo section rather than the "common ground" but as you are new to the forum we will all ( well at least me ) will forgive you. :D

Cheers

dicko said:
Hi Ol' Matey,

If you go here;
http://www.grumpys.com.au/read.php3?id=13472

You will see 314 posts on that subject.

Some, or maybe most, are people talking crap, but the info is there if you read it all.
Your post, I feel, should have been in the kit and kilo section rather than the "common ground" but as you are new to the forum we will all ( well at least me ) will forgive you. :D

Cheers
[post="63019"][/post]​
Sorry... unsure about different forums. Thanks for the post though.

Bloody ripper. That'll be my next batch, saving me $ on the yeast, hops and malt. We've got the cans at work, I'm usually able to score some for free, or maybe buy on, score one free. $10 for 2.5 cases... bloody beauty.

I did 2 bi-lo lager cans with just the kit yeast and nothing else a while back.
Made up to 20L
tastes alright. Certainly nicer than vb/new etc.
Took a bit longer to mature than kit+brew booster type of brew.

Tasted good after 1-2 months in the bottle

Sometimes the supermarket has sales on the home brew and you can pick up homebrand cans for about $5 each. Even normally they are only $7 I think

Rich

Just keep in mind that the normal can has been formulated so that the colour of the final beer they are aiming at is achieved when mixed with 22l of water. Double the cans and you darken the final beer.

Same with Hops. If the can is formulated to achive say a 25 IBU when mixed with 22l of water - 2 cans means 50 IBU so you are getting up fairly high in bitterness, (unless you are a hop head!!??).

So - use a light coloured beer and a low hopped beer.

I've done it with the Coopers Canadian Blonde as a bit of an experiment and was really surprised at the results. Lovely honey colour and a nice level of bitterness. If you can score a couple of cans of that go for it.

I left it in primary for almost 3 weeks, (was moving so didn't have time to do anything with it). SG was 1042 or there abouts and I think it got down to 1014. I racked to bulk prime it and it was very clear. I added about 160g priming sugar which worked OK. I was planning on doing it again next Xmas to boost stocks and use as a "sacrificial" beer for mates. Though I might add a bit of sugar next time as well.

A mates doing a Coopers Draught and Canadian Blonde Toucan Brew now - so will be interesting to see how that comes out.

good luck...

I once did 2 cans of Coopers Bavarian Lager and it's way overhopped. I don't like it much at all.

I think I'll try 2 cans of draught... thanks for the info, but I have to ask what does ibu mean?

Its a measurement of bittering units.

taken from howtobrew.com

"The equation for International Bittering Units (IBUs) takes the amount of hops in AAUs and applies factors for the boil gravity, volume, and boiling time. IBUs are independent of batch size"

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-4.html

Will

after reading this i might do a two can myself this week . would be a lot easyer
so do you not add any sugar/ dextros ? or only 1kg

and what about priming sugar in bottles? same as normal or none at all?

cheers :p

Nah, you do not add any dextrose, the second can covers this.

Just remember that the brew will be twice as bitter then normal but nothing drastically. If this worries you maybe try a 2 can brew with something like morgans canadian blonde. This is bittered to about 16 IBU from memory mking it a total of 32 IBU.

sluggerdog said:
If this worries you maybe try a 2 can brew with something like morgans canadian blonde. This is bittered to about 16 IBU from memory mking it a total of 32 IBU.
[post="65808"][/post]​

Or if you're feeling flash, 2 cans of Malt Shovel 2-Row Lager. Nothing else to add & the best kit beer I've ever had. :super:

The MSB ones, you're meant to add two cans though, so that's cheating.
All of the above sounds good, though I'm pretty annoyed you posted in the common ground forum, it really really pisses me off. :angry:
I can't believe your audacity...

You can pitch both yeasts if you want, it might start a little faster.

Dunkel_Boy said:
The MSB ones, you're not meant to add two cans though, so that's cheating.
All of the above sounds good, though I'm pretty annoyed you posted in the common ground forum, it really really pisses me off. :angry:
I can't believe your audacity...

You're not meant to add 2 cans of malt Shovel Dunkel_Boy. :) One can will do 15 tallie batch. You only use 2 cans if you want a 30 bottle batch & I stand by my statement that was the best-tasting kit beer that I have ever had. You don't add anything else because it is pure malt just as using 2 cans of xxx brand will give you a nice pure malt 30 tallie batch if you add nothing else. :D

I put down a two can screamer last Saturday, I added a few bits and pieces to spice it up a bit.
It comprised of 2 cans of Coopers stout, 1kg DME, 500g brown sugar, 250g lactose and two sachets of saf04.
Hopefully it will turn out drinkable but if not I will drink it anyway :blink:

The Coopers was dated best before 12/06 and was on special BOGOF deal, say no more. :super:

I've just tried my first 2 can batch, 2 x Farmland Lager and 1/2kg Sugar. I love it, but you must like a fairly bitter beer. :chug: I'm drinking from a keg so it won't be getting the extra few weeks to smoothen out. But a denfinate do again beer.

I have actually just started a batch using 2 cans of the MSB Pale Ale, Safale yeast & Fuggles finishing hops.....guess I'll have to see what it's like in about 4 weeks or so....I reckon it'll be quite nice...had an OG of 1.049 (23 L batch)

Latest posts

Back