2 Row Replacement

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulhill

Reaction score
hey guys

imm a lover of IPA's and other such American beers
most of the reipies iv looked out have
2-Row Brewers Malt; Briess
as there base malt, what would every one suggest to replace this since i can't get it at craftbrewer .

On the craft brewers website Perle Malt is used extensively for IPA's on the west coast

Think I read on here a while back that all Australian malt is 2 row.
Worth checking tho.
I use Barret Burston Aussie Ale malt all the time.

2 row is the Euro (and Aussie) malt, now being grown in the USA.
6 row is the American barley and is the reason that American industrial beers use so many adjuncts to make a drinkable beer out of it, due to its high protein content and other characteristics.

Therefore the USA craft brewers use 2 row malt and as suggested, for APAs, any of the UK malts do a good job. Nothing wrong with the likes of BB or Joe White Ale either.

Also email grain and grape and craftbrewer who both stock briess grains and extracts and see when they will have Briess pale malt (grain).

There's other retailers on this site who stock grain who might also be worth an email or phone call depending on where you are: MHB, Gryphon, brewadelaide, beer belly and I think even dr K but I know the first two are good bets for briess and should be able to tell you if and when.

wow thats great thanks guys

ill be going to craftbrewer mainly because i can drop in and pick it up

but id love to know if there is a sight out there with a list off all the malts and there flavor, litner and color profiles

Back