2 Basic Test Runs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer

Reaction score
Hi all,

Am new to HBing, and found your site here, and now am stoked :)

Ok I have just come back to HB after a bad start 2 years ago.. so trying again.

This time I have 2 worts fermenting:

1 - Morgans Aussie Bitter with 1kg Big Head (Dextrose and Corn Syrup) and 1 teabag of Morgans Cluster Hops

2 - Stock Standard Tooheys Kit stuff.. Tooheys Draught kit with 1kg of liquid sugar (micro-kit stuff no addons)

Now I hear the Tooheys off the shelf kits are shite, so am not expecting much, but would like some advice on when to bottle, and how much castor sugar to add to each longneck for these kits.

I have to go away to Goulbourn to race this weekend, so will be away fri/sat and back sunday. Will they be ok till then?

Bitter has been going for about 3 days now, Tooheys for 2, and both are bubbling nicely, with grav at about 1024(bitter) & 1028(tooheys) - temps at around 24-25 for both.

Both will be fine until Sunday (prividing the temps don't go any higher. 24-25 is about the limit. 18-20 is better). Check the gravity when you return and check again on Monday. If the readings are the same - bottle away.

I am a kegger, but if I do the odd bottle, I usually use 6g of sugar in each 750ml lonkneck.

Cheers

quincy said:
Both will be fine until Sunday (prividing the temps don't go any higher. 24-25 is about the limit. 18-20 is better). Check the gravity when you return and check again on Monday. If the readings are the same - bottle away.

I am a kegger, but if I do the odd bottle, I usually use 6g of sugar in each 750ml lonkneck.

Cheers
[post="81403"][/post]​

Thanks Quincy.. that takes a load off :) looks like I will be bottling on sunday/monday after racing porches all weekend :) what more could a man ask.

Cheers

Sweet I wanna race porches as well! Is it the back or front porch? :D

Sorry had to do it...... My mind thinks funny things sometimes!

Kramer said:
Sweet I wanna race porches as well! Is it the back or front porch? :D

Sorry had to do it...... My mind thinks funny things sometimes!
[post="81415"][/post]​

LOL.. ok smart ass porsche hehe

But yeh, busy weekend in the porsches but home to bottle my probably crappy brew :p on sunday...

Been reading up on full mashes and such... am getting rather excited about testing these waters in a few weeks, after i get the general hang off general "out of the tin" hbing.

In spite of what people say, the stock Tooheys kits are OK. I have brewed the Tooheys Lager several times, with the addition of 1kg of light dry malt in place of sugar, Hallertau finishing hops and using Saflager in place of the yeast provided, and have always found it to be an ok brew.

In place of the castor sugar for priming, try using a teaspoon of dextrose.

When you get back from Bathurst (and good luck, I'll be watching) take a specific gravity reading and make sure that the reading holds steady for 2 to 3 days then you can bottle.

I always leave my beer for 3 months to bottle age, but a lot of people don't. You will need to let your beer condition for 2 weeks to allow it to carbonate and then you can try it.

Enjoy.

Cheers Wassa for tips.

And no I am not racing at bathurst (I wish :p) its a race day in goulbourn for the historic car club of aus.. Good fun

Back