1V mash in advice - full volume with pump on/off?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
Hi All,

Did my first brew on the 1V last week and wondered about the mash in.

I had my full volume of water (56L) at strike temp with the pump on and just dumped my 10kg of grain straight into the grain basket and just let it fall and settle with the pump still on.

I've seen comments to 'establishing the grain bed' etc - is it better to mash in withough the pump, let it settle for dunno, 5 mins before starting the recirc?

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAyMZ_TN8nY[/media]

thanks,

Recirc on ALL systems have the same rules. Mash in stir mash well, 5 min rest(minimum), start recirc at max 1/3 valve opening 5-10min, then slowly increase flow over the next 5-10 minutes.

As above, never had a stuck mash this way using 50% wheat or 20% polenta.

Huh? If I were to attempt to mash-in without recirculating I would never be able to wet all the grain. I mash-in at full flow to get enough water in the malt pipe to wet the grain, then wind it back to a trickle and up it slowly bit by bit....

This must be due to the relative geometry of malt pipe an boil kettle, I only have a bigW malt pipe in a 56l pot and I only mash with 20l....

So you're 56 L pot is 44 cm & you're 19 L pot is 32 cm Dia
so 60mm gap all around

Is it better to have less of a gap between the 2 pots ?

Just asking cause I haven't had a good visual on the Brau & GF & Im keen on a build one of these days

I'm not sure how much difference it makes, apart from at mashing in, you're recirculating all the time so all the liquor contacts the grain. I think the only thing to think about is the shape of the malt pipe relative to the grain load, and how deep the grain bed ends up.

I hit 75% eff last brew so it can't be too bad. My only desire would be the ability to control the outflow rate from the malt pipe when sparging.

Matplat said:
I'm not sure how much difference it makes, apart from at mashing in, you're recirculating all the time so all the liquor contacts the grain. I think the only thing to think about is the shape of the malt pipe relative to the grain load, and how deep the grain bed ends up.

I hit 75% eff last brew so it can't be too bad. My only desire would be the ability to control the outflow rate from the malt pipe when sparging.
This why use a crane to lift the MP, well one of the reasons; my big malt pipe is around 50L loaded with 20kg of malt, I'd give my self little hope of lifting it. But the other benefit is I can raise an inch at a time while sparging, and do that as slowly as I want. Eff around 85% occasional into the 90s depending on the recipe. Both malt pipes are 100mm smaller in diameter that the main vessel. The other difference; mine was setup the same flow direction as a brau. So when I mash in if the level is low I can turn the pump on to raise the water level (then adjust the flow to maintain the desired level) however doing so in no way risks compacting the bed, which is the issue when using top down flow.

Back