1v budget build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbaker1202

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about 18months now, kits only, and am wanting to step up to biab. I've been inspired by qldkev's post but don't have a large budget ($300).
I've found a 50l aluminium pot from a catering supplies shop for $80. I know stainless is better but it's also twice as much.
But I'd like some advice from you guys regarding elements, temp control, pump and malt pipe/bag.
Elements: I was thinking two 2000watt, but have no idea as to watt (see what I did there) brand or stainless or not. I see a lot of real cheap ones on eBay but are they just rubbish???
Temp control: cause I'm budgeted a brauduino or similar is out of the question so any mash steps will be manually controlled but thinking both elements on to get up to mash temp then switch one off and have the other connected to an stc 1000 with the probe directly in the mash. Sound sound???
Pump: little brown one?? Or would a pump from like a busted dishwasher or washing machine be workable. I should mention here that I'm an electrician, so I'd be able to rig it up and add a dimmer switch or the like for flow control, and also deal with the 20amp circuit needed.
Malt pipe: either the hacked up big w pot or one of the bcf crab cooker baskets lined with a bag, I like the idea of having something solid to lift the grain out with, thoughts???
I could also skip the malt pipe all together and just get a pizza tray falsey and bag, all price dependant.

Also where's a good (cheap) place to buy ball valves and the like?? I'm located in Wollongong and my local hb shop isn't too flash, I do work in Redfern in the city though.

I'm planning on starting my build just after fathers day so need to prepare a wish list for the kids to get onto, will be funny when my two year old gets asked what she got me for fathers day, and she replies with "a big bag and pot"

Anyway just after confirmation that I'm on the right track or any constructive criticism??

Cheers,
Dan.

I like the BCF crab cooker pots with the basket it would make BIAB easier to lift.
Have a look at eBay for a PID with ramp and soak, they can be programed to hold a temp for a specific time and then raise to another temp in a set time. Very cool, I don't have one I just adjust the set value when stepping.
Have a look at 5star distilling for elements they look good.
Can't beat a LBP for a mash pump!
Good luck with the build. Have a look through the brew rigs to get inspired.

I like your thinking, but you could easily get away with 2200- 2400 watts on a single batch system. Also if you have a little time on your weekends check out your local auctions and markets, I picked up a 38L urn for $40 in good condition, you being a sparkie could probably grab one broken and have it up and running easily. For single batch BIAB the urn is the undisputed king of simple setups. And if you decide you decide you still want more power for ramping than what the urn has grab an OTS.

I almost went the BCF but found a 56l stainless on eBay. I might be alarmist, but with as much alzheimers in my family as we have I'm not keen on aluminium. I use the keg king stainless element, mainly chosen for ease of cleaning. eBay pump and stainless fittings. My cost all up was under $200. I use a bag at the moment, but am considering adding malt pipe- similar eBay 28l stainless pot $50. I only do about 5-8 batches per year, so I keep it cheap.

This is my pot.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171784346667

Elements. I would go for the 5 star stainless steel,easy to clean and have a good reputation.

Pump . I use a little brown pump and am very happy with it though a my upgrade one day.

Don't use the dishwasher or washing machine pumps as they will be contaminated with all sorts of shite and I'm sure they are not food grade.

Flow control. I use a ball valve it works well,I have 2 for my pump one between the tun and pump ( this is in case the pump breaks I can stop the flow out of the tun/ kettle.)
The other is after the pump and is used to control the flow keeping the pump fully primed.
I don't know if the LBP will handle an electric control.

Temp control. Vacola preserving thermometer ,tie a piece of string to it and hang it over the side.
This means you will need to keep an eye on the whole process.
You are on a budget and this will help you learn the steps and give you a better idea for improvements in the future.

I have 2 + 46 Lt Malleys stainless boilers and a lot of other size Urrns all Ueady to go to scrappie on Monday..
$15.00 each the big ones cheaper the others some have gas burners..and a million other things..
Cheers
PJ

oh yeah if your doing the malt pipe type thing I have a few BigW pots unused, yours for a bottle of your finest. I'm down in the gong sometime in the next fortnight. Drop me a PM.

MB

If you're focussing on a budget I would ditch the pump and malt pipe, starting with BIAB. It's always something you can add later and not required for good beer. Same with the temp controller, but that's up to you.
Elements recommended above are a very good choice. I use onlinebrewingsupplies elements which I can't recommend enough. If I were you, I would include a refractometer and good quality digital thermometer in your budget, as knowing your gravity and temp are key to hitting targets with AG brewing.
That $300 will go north very soon, slippery slope you are on young Skywalker.

poppa joe said:
I have 2 + 46 Lt Malleys stainless boilers and a lot of other size Urrns all Ueady to go to scrappie on Monday..
$15.00 each the big ones cheaper the others some have gas burners..and a million other things..
Cheers
PJ
Where are you located poppa joe? I'd be interested in one of the large ones.

Phil

Thanks heaps for all the replies, I think a trip down to poppa Joe's house in nowra may be in order before I do anything.
Thanks for the big w pot offer MB but I already have one that's why it was an option, just not sure if I wanted to hack it up

Refractometer allows you to take quick checks throughout the process. I've never used a hydrometer with boiling wort or 65°C, and it's not something I'd want to do.

So I got some things off poppa Joe, I'll have to have a tinker and see what else is needed, definitely close to being able to start all grain though.

Latest posts

Back