1st Time Using Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sab

Reaction score
How you doing guys.Its my first time experimenting with grains. I got some chocolate Grains today to add to a dark ale kit.
Do I boil these in a couple of litres of water and add to brew,or do I steep in a couple of litres of boiled water.

Cheers.

Do not boil!

You want to crack and steep, temperature is not too critical, but between 60-80C should do the job.... 30 minutes will be haeps.

Alternatively, you can crack and cold steep... room temp for a day or so.

Either way, you must boil the liquor which you collect from your grain to kill any bugs.

dreamboat

dreamboat said:
Do not boil!

You want to crack and steep, temperature is not too critical, but between 60-80C should do the job.... 30 minutes will be haeps.

Alternatively, you can crack and cold steep... room temp for a day or so.

Either way, you must boil the liquor which you collect from your grain to kill any bugs.

dreamboat
[post="83058"][/post]​

Let me get this right. I have been steeping my crystal at 68-72 deg c for 30 minutes as per Palmer before adding to the kettle prior to lautering. Am I wasting my time here? Seems that I can just add my crystal to the mash as my temp for a single infusion is usually 65-68 deg c anyway. I mash for 90 minutes. I also hear that adding the darker malts towards the end of the boil is better in a Porter, Stout, etc. Is this correct?

:beer:

Yep, since you are mashing anyhow, that is the easy place to put your xtal.

dreamboat

Back