1st Time Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brend0n

Reaction score
gday all, just cracked open my 1st attemp at kegging and im pretty happy with the result,nice head etc. But im gonna ask a dumb one here so here goes, the head is great on the beer but it kinda tastes flat?

so the dumb question is do i prime the beer 1st / dextrose / before i put it in the keg?

do i need to prime at all now

ive done some searching around on the site and didnt find anything so cheers for the advice

gday all, just cracked open my 1st attemp at kegging and im pretty happy with the result,nice head etc. But im gonna ask a dumb one here so here goes, the head is great on the beer but it kinda tastes flat?

so the dumb question is do i prime the beer 1st / dextrose / before i put it in the keg?

ive done some searching around on the site and didnt find anything so cheers for the advice
How long has it been in keg and what pressure is reg at?

Cheers
D80

Don't prime your beer prior to kegging it. You can prime with Dextrose, or other sugars, if you want but after it has been racked to the keg.

If you are priming with C02, which it sounds like you are, just leave it at your pour pressure now and it will come right.

You can prime them with dextrose but you need to treat it like a big bottle and leave it in the cupboard for a few weeks not in fridge or on gas. Otherwise just leave it at pouring pressure forces weeks and it'll be perfect.
Chris

Providing your dispensing pressure is actually your carbonating pressure.

The trick is to use a temperature/c02 volume calculator to work out your carbonating pressure and then To balance the line length (or use flow controllers) so you can dispense at that pressure.

Just because you dispense at 70kpa doesn't mean that will be the right carb pressure for your beer style. Although it might be :)

kegged 1 week, gassed at 250 then poured at 70

Did you leave it hooked up at 250 for the whole week?
If so, I reckon it is Overcarbed.

If you just filled the headspace on the keg to 250 then fridged it there would not be enough gas absorbed yet (unless it was hooked up at 70 for the whole week, and the temp was about 4 degrees).

If it is a lager or something that needs to be more gassy generally it would take a little more than 70kpa for a week to achieve it. Something around 100 might get close.

250 for a week will be a foam storm.

Read the guide to force carbonation on this site, one of the article links at the top of page. In there is a link to a handy carbonation table.

Cheers
D80

Back